Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Marine Groomsman

Hello ladies! Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday.Yesterday we heard from a good friend who is a Marine, and has been deployed for almost a year now.  FI had been wanting to talk to him in person, but went ahead and asked him yesterday to be a groomsman.  He was very excited and said yes, but wondered this: Being in the military, should he wear the same tux as the other guys, or his dress uniform?I wasn't sure about this one.  Any thoughts?  I don't care at all what he wears, I am just glad he will be home safe and sound.  Thanks!

Re: Marine Groomsman

• Options
    There was a post about this a while back.  Leave it up to the groomsman.  It's an honor to wear a military dress uniform, and said groomsman is well within his right to do so.  So just leave it up to him. 
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    I'd let him make the call. Please don't be like the girl who once came here complaining that her FI's (or Best man's) dress uniform didn't match her wedding colors. ;-) I'm sure you aren't like that.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    LOL - But it's MY pretty wedding day, and he should match!!!! Kidding - I want him to be happy, and will let him choose whatever he wants.  I am honored to have him in the wedding party, and want him to get the recognition he deserves for serving our country.  I didn't know if there was some sort of "protocol" about military uniforms, and since our contact with him has been so limited, didn't think to ask him. Thanks!
  • Options
    Let him decide. My cousin is Navy and an usher and I'm letting him decide if he wants to wear his blues, his whites, or just a dress shirt and slacks. He knows the protocal better than I do.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Mag - Since your dad is retired, is he allowed to wear his uniform? My mom and ffil are both retired Navy and I was under the impression that wearing the uniform would not be 'in protocol'...
  • Options
    I LOVE when they wear their Uniforms.  I feel like it's such an honor! My friend married a Naval Officer, I can't find her pics, but the best man was a Marine (wore his Marine uniform) about 3 or 4 of the groomsmen were naval Officers (they wore their dress whites), and 3 others were not in any service so they wore black tuxes.  It looked totally fine and no one thought anything of it.
  • Options
    Per FI, once you retire you can wear your dress uniform at your own discretion.  It should be either perfect according to uniform standards at the time you retired, or today's standards.  Your Marine friend should do what makes him most comfortable.  It is absolutely proper either way, though.  If he does wear his uniform, he doesn't get a bout.  Also, if he does wear his uniform, let the photographer know ahead of time.  There are lots of "popular" pictures now that are totally inappropriate in uniform.  The photog shouldn't be afraid to ask him to participate, but should be understanding if the GM tells him he shouldn't because he's in uniform.  (FI was a GM for another Army buddy, and the photog wouldn't take no for an answer from the GROOM much less a GM on some crazy stuff.)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    This info makes me very happy :) Thank you!
  • Options
    I agree with PPs about letting him decide.My sister's DH is a Marine, and he wore his dress blues for their wedding, but none of his GMs (who are also Marines) wore theirs. It comes down to preference. And as mentioned before, if he does decide to wear his uniform, he doesn't get a bout.
  • Options
    Well, now I feel like shiit. DH didn't want to wear his uniform, so I asked my brother and a GM to just wear normal black suits. They didn't object, but looking back I wish I had given them the choice.
  • Options
    *Definitely* have him wear his uniform. Marines in uniform are hot. I tease DH I'm going to leave him for a marine :)
  • Options
    I agree with PP - my FI is a Marine and is wearing his dress blues, my brother is also a Marine and chose to wear a tux for his wedding, but when I asked him to be an usher in our wedding, he told me he was wearing his uniform (before I could even ask which he'd prefer, LOL,) so just leave it up to him. I know my FI's main reasoning behind wearing his was because it was cheaper and he already had them. Haha.
  • Options
    squirrly, thanks for the info.  I definitely didn't think about the bout, or the pictures.
  • Options
    Nothing better than a Marine in uniform (says the lady who married the Marine while he wore the uniform).As said before, it might not be protocol, but it's not like anyone will show up and demand he take it off. I don't think Dh was "technically" allowed to wear it, but as far as I'm concerned he served his country, he fought in a war, and was given his blues/medals etc and deserves to wear them on his wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards