Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Parents inviting too many people?

My parents have been gracious enough to pay for my wedding. My mom is inviting a ton of her friends, which doesn't bother me at all, but there are some friends that I've never even met before. I completely understand inviting her friends that I know or have at least met multiple times, but its starting to erk me that she keeps adding people I've never met to the list. Should this bother me or do I just need to let it go since they are paying for it?

Re: Parents inviting too many people?

• Options
    She is paying so she absolutely gets a say. You can try asking her to limit the guests politely but after you have said your piece you back away slowly in graciousness.
  • Options
    $ = strings.  Sometimes, parents feel they have to "show off" to their friends with their childrens' weddings.  If she's paying for everything, she gets a huge amount of say in the guest list.  As long as it doesn't interfere w/ you and FI inviting the people that you want to invite, I would just let it go.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Let it go.  You won't even notice they're there.I'm in the same situation and my mom is inviting several of her friends I don't really know.  Not a big deal.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    do I just need to let it go since they are paying for it? That's pretty much it.  If it's that big of a deal, you can say thanks but no thanks and give back the $$.
  • Options
    Not sure how i'd feel. At least she is paying for it though. My sister's FMIL was inviting lots of people my sis didn't even know and FMIL wasn't even paying for it!!Maybe you should just talk to her before it gets too out of hand and tell her you want to keep it JUST close friends and family.
  • Options
    Since she is paying & as long as her invites are not preventing you from inviting your close friends/family then you really shouldn't say anything.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Options
    How about FIs parents inviting everyone they know on earth, why offering - if more than 65 people come, we will pay for them... ehhhh out of 160 on my guest list now, 10 are mine, 10 are my parents' 10 are FIs and the rest are theirs...
  • Options
    My  mom is kind of doing the same, invited 8 pp from work with their spouses that I do not know...but they are paying the majority of the wedding, it makes her happy and she can show off. If it does not interfere with your guest list, than like everyone else said...let it go. Who cares, the more the merrier especially if it makes mom happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards