Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Christmas

I finished 90% of my Christmas present shopping.I CANNOT stop looking at Christmas ornaments or things for the house online.What. Is. Wrong. With. Me???Background - I've always lived with my parents/siblings and the past few years we didn't decorate. Year 1 Grandpa died in November and he lived with us for 15 years.  Year 2 They all went to Germany to visit my other sister and I stayed home and didn't want to do it all alone  Year 3 I was in NY helping Robert move downIs it because I've been "Christmas deprived"???I'm that person that's looking forward to the Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving...Anyone else?

Re: Christmas

• Options
    I'm right there with you. I am dying to get all new Christmas decorations. I could spend hours just looking at the decor. It's a sickness that developed in adulthood.
  • Options
    Hehe! I've been sneaking peeks at everything Christmas related, but I've been strong about not putting EVERY Christmas decoration I have up...yet.  I have yet to do any shopping however.
  • Options
    I am SO looking forward to Christmas.  My mom is the biggest Christmas freak ever, and I unfortunately think I'm turning into her.  My roommates and I are already playing Christmas music and are making plans on how to decorate our apartment the moment we get back from Thanksgiving break, and we have our Christmas party planned.  It's quite scary how excited I am.
  • Options
    I would be right there with you, but with the baby coming and money being tight, I don't think we're going to be able to do a big Christmas thing this year.  Which sucks.  Really, really bad.  I can't bring myself to start looking at stuff.  But, yeah - tree goes up day after Thanksgiving and the Christmas music starts then :)
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I too have an obsession with Christmas ornaments.  My MIL thinks every day is Christmas, and bought us a whole bunch of ornaments last week.  They should be arriving soon! Currently I am also very excited because I ordered pretty stockings from Pottery Barn with mine and FI's names embroidered on them, and they should be delivered today or tomorrow :)The last several years Christmas was kind of sad for me because it was my Grandma's birthday and she passed away in 2005...but FI proposed last Christmas so now I am trying to be happier about celebrating all the good things.
  • Options
    I, too, am addicted to Christmas decorations. I talked myself out of buying the cutest Christmas plate from Cracker Barrel last night. I might go get it when it goes on sale. As for the actual Christmas season, I hate it. My MIL has called my husband 5 times this week asking what my family is planning to do so they can plan accordingly. He keeps telling her that I don't know, but she still keeps calling back. She wants me to call her, but she'll be at my house Saturday, as will my entire family, so they can work it out amongst themselves.
  • Options
    I love that we're playing Christmas music at BR.  I could listen to that all year. However, I don't like the crazies that come along with holidays.  That includes family.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Tide, I totally get that.  We've decided we're not doing our usual Christmas this year.  There are no kids in our families and we don't have a ton of extra cash to spare after paying for a wedding.  But I'm still going to decorate and bake and watch Elf and Love Actually.  It's going to be awesome.
  • Options
    I am a total Christmas geek, and this will be our first Christmas we get to spend together.  Unfortunately all my Christmas stuff is in storage :-(.  But I'm sure I'll be able to cobble something together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I've been listening to Christmas songs on the radio already when Mr Stack isn't in the car with me.  I'm so excited for Christmas this year, it's the first time I've really caught the spirit since my dad passed in 2005.
  • Options
    Yaaay! I love that I'm not the only one. As far as presents go... I told Robert that we can skip presents for each other - and I'm sincere in that.  We paid for the wedding ourselves with some help from my sister so I just want to get ourself back to a more comfortable state. The decorations I've been buying slowly over the past year online.  They were clearance items that I'm so happy with.  And we're getting a 6 ft fake pre-lit tree from someone that doesn't want it anymore! YAY! I bought presents from Macy's cause they were having a huge sale this week and last week and they were things I wanted to buy for each person anyway!  
  • Options
    I started listening to christmas music the day after thanksgiving... in canada. I love christmas. I only have 3 people left to shop for and then stocking stuffers.
  • Options
    Vicmo - it will still be awesome because it's Christmas :) All of our family is like, "don't worry about gifts..." but it still makes me feel, blah.  Of course, I'm also one of those crazy people that actually LIKES to shop for the perfect Christmas gift, so I'll miss that whole experience this year.  Of course, in another couple of weeks, I don't know how much shopping I'll want to do anyway.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I freakin' love love love Christmas. I've already starting organizing decorations in the basement so I can send H down to bring up "that whole stack" before he goes out hunting the weekend after Turkey Day. I've started planning all the gifts I'm making for Christmas, and have a really good idea of the few that we're buying. My brother and I spent 30 minutes on the phone the other night planning Christmas Eve dinner (we always host for our family, because they're asshats and they can't put family first for any holiday or put any work into anything). I freakin' love Christmas :)
  • Options
    Alexia - that macy's sale was GREAT.  I went too and started Christmas shopping.  They had an extra 10% off for employees that weekend and my mom works there so I made her come and I got an extra 30% off of things.
  • Options
    Stack, that's awesome!!! We're expecting another $200 in reward points in gift cards so I can't wait to go get more stuff...
  • Options
    I do Christmas the day after Thanksgiving, no sooner. But I do love all the pretty decorations! I love to make them, though. I seriously get a kick out of making gingerbread ornaments and stringing popcorn and cranberries. I would not stand for the "non-Christmases" you recently had. My mom passed away on December 11. My family was talking about cancelling Christmas that year. So, on the morning of her funeral (seriously, like in my black dress and everything), I went to the farm and picked out the biggest tree I could carry (which wasn't big, because I'm 5'1"). My mom wouldn't have wanted Christmas cancelled.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I knooow. My non-Christmases sucked. But it's okay, cause I get to make my own this year!  Robert is totally on board and is just letting me run with it. I told him if anyone asks, I want to start collecting Dept. 56 village pieces.  He laughed and told me he already has dibs on his mom's.  I said "Sweet, then tell them to get me pieces she doesn't have!"  :) Oh, and no decorations up before Black Friday, but I can still shop/look! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards