Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Weird car...

Okay, does this strike anyone else as just over the top?I was driving to FI's work yesterday to pick him up and I was following a truck.  I noticed in the back window there was a decal that said "In loving memory of my dad, "Nick" with birthday and death day (died in early 2007) in it.  No big deal.  So I stop at a light, and realize that her license plate says "NICK07" and she has a "daddy's girl" bumper sticker.  The driver was in her late 30's or 40's...

Re: Weird car...

• Options
    Hmmm that is really weird. I was behind a woman that had a Divorced (I forget how she spelled it) Monday. I guess she really was happy to get away from that fukcer or she wanted to advertise her avaliability.
  • Options
    Way over the top.  I consider the decal alone pretty over the top.  I get that it's coming from a sentimental place, but damn.  Tacky is still tacky.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    A friend of mine ingerited a vehicle when her father passed away, he had a vanity license plate, something like "big D", she never changed it.
  • Options
    Overkill, perhaps. I don't get the in memoriams on cars.  Anyone care to explain?
  • Options
    I see those decals a lot, and I don't get them. They were hugely popular it seemed, where I lived in the South, but I'm seeing them a lot here, too. I'm a Daddy's girl too, but you won't see me advertising it on my license plate. DH is liable to sneak one on there saying "BEAN FEAST" in some fashion, though....
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I just don't think I would want to put NICK07 on a license plate and forever remember the year my dad passed away.  IF I felt it necessary to go memoralizing my dad all over the place I'd try to keep them upbeat and happy memories, not ones that make me relive the day he died over and over. 
  • Options
    I've decided I'm not an emotional person. I have no desire to dewell on someone dealth.  I HATE seeing those crosses were people died on the side of the road. I'm not a fan of the car you mentioned.  I just do not understand the need to do that.I guess each to his own.btw - there is an SUV here that has a memorial on it's back window.  The name of the person is the same as DH's name, except it's a Senior..  So many people ask me if it's DH's father.  It's so annoying.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Exactly, I can see the window decal.  I prefer to express my grief in a more intimate setting, but to each their own.  The addition of the license plate (the number is the same as the death year, coincincence?) and bumper sticker just made me go whoa (and speed up and pass the car so I could see what the driver looked like).
  • Options
    Cacoffer and Missy, it does seem to be a Southern thing.  I see them a whole hell of a lot in south Louisiana.  I still cannot explain the phenomenon though.  I don't get it either.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Car memorials are right up there with roadside flower memorials in my "Grieving WTF?" file. You don't go back to the cancer ward and put flowers on the bed where your loved one died. Why do you do it at an accident scene? Mark the grave, not your car or the side of the road.
  • Options
    I HATE the memorial car decals. They are so weird to me. That is not an appropriate way to remember someone, IMO.
  • Options
    BEC - I totally agree!  My dad passed away from cancer in my parents bedroom - my mom just redecorated the room and we got on with it.  AND, where I work I have to constantly go visit his oncology doctors office and I don't walk in there like, "OMG my dad was treated here right before he died".  I remember my dad for the life he lived, not the circumstances surrounding his death. 
  • Options
    I think it's over the top.  Maybe I'm just more private in my remembrance of my parents, but I would never post such things on my car, or in my home.  I adored my father, but wouldn't put it on a bumper sticker.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That drunk driver window sticker is definately strange too.
  • Options
    I don't get the in memoriams on cars.Me neither, and I see more and more of them on the road every year.  I saw one that said "So and so, such and such, date-date, our precious son MURDERED by drunk driver."  I mean really?  Yeah, DD's suck, but you need to put that on your car?  Way to make your son's death all about you.And I know I shouldn't be judgy at all, let alone at church, but our youth director, who is single-never-married, has a sticker on her car not only with the name, birth, and death date, but also a picture of some dead baby.  I don't even know if it's her own kid b/c the last name is different than hers, but apparently some baby died in 2006 and she felt the need to put the dead baby's face on her car windshield.  If it wasn't the tramp stamp on her back that's always hanging out of her too-tight pants, it was the sticker that sealed the deal for me being completely unable to take her seriously. 
  • Options
    My mom saw a really weird car sign the other day. It was on the back windshield and said something like, "My nephew was killed on July __ 2009 by a drunk driver: DRIVER's NAME IN CAPS!" It think my mom said it was Mark something, and that she'll never forget that guys name because of that car. Now THAT's a crazy thing to have on your car.OMG I wonder if we saw the same car.
  • Options
    It was a long time before my father could even go to the graveside of his father. Me, either (Poppa, the photo I posted Wednesday), but for different, rather silly but valid for me at the time, reasons.  My grandmother only goes a couple of times a year, Veterans Day being one of them. That's just not the way we choose to remember him.Now, my other grandmother wanted to drive through the cemetery any time she'd go on a vacation, and when she'd come back home, and ex-MIL went EVERY DAY to her husband's. That was overload to me.Roadside crosses are almost creepy to me.  A guy died in a motorcycle crash with a deer here last year (speed not a factor, killed instantly), and about 3 days after the wreck, amidst the flowers, someone put a helmet.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    I don't get the in memoriams on cars. Anyone care to explain?I don't get it either. WHAT'S in loving memory? The car? The decal? If so, gee, thanks... Did they cash in a life insurance policy to buy a new ride? If so it's like "Thanks dad! I'll name the car after you!" I don't get it either.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Close, I'm in NC.  I'm pretty sure the car had an NC tag, but I can't remember.
  • Options
    Maybe that was like a MADD sticker or something....
  • Options
    Oh, and does anyone else have "ghost bikes" in their city? There was one at an intersection near my house where several pedestrians were killed for a few months. It's just a bike all painted white with "In memory of..." on it. I guess it's to make drivers be more careful? It would make me feel like crap if I had been in that accident. It was a car running a light, some guy turning left, and then the whole thing just got pushed into the cross walk.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't get the in memoriams on cars.I agree. They drive me batty. Roadside flowers and crosses do not bother me, though.
  • Options
    Full window decals are totally tacky!....which is why I did it the classy way! lol [IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2qvrw9e.jpg[/IMG] In my defense. Pop-pop always promised me from when I was very young that he would buy me a brand new car when I learned how to drive. He never got the chance because he got sick and subsequently passed. so when I (finally 4 years later) received his inheritance, I bought myself a brand new car! I look at it as his gift to me. He was a paratrooper, hence the parachute and his initials inside of it. and the wavy wing lookin things are a theme that is carried around the car. The guy who came out and painted it was great and he put them under the door handles and stuff like old school hot rod pin-striping!
  • Options
    I don't get the car window memorial decals. I think decals are advertisement or support of something... so, why would you put that on your car? The roadside crosses/flowers don't bother me.
  • Options
    the road side crosses/flowers can get out of hand though.  A guy I know lost his daughter in a crash because the other driver shot up heroin.  So she and her boyfriend died.  Well they put up a massive banner with their pictures, crosses, flowers.  There was an uproar because it was on a curve and people were afraid it would be a distraction and cause more crashes. It has since been taken down.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards