Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

what do you do?

My friend's fiance is in Germany right now, just for a week - he left on Wednesday. He suffers from anxiety (is on meds), and doesn't normally do well on his own, but his work offered to send him, and it was the opportunity of a lifetime - especially because he's really never been outside of Canada or wherever they could drive to in the US.Friend gets a phone call from her FI last night, and he's pretty upset...most likely out of sorts, and definitely over tired. She called him at 7 am germany time, and he was feeling much better. She just texted me and said she just heard from him again, and he's all lonely and out of sorts again. She feels so helpless...but what can you do? He's staying in a company-paid hotel room, and can't make calls out, apparently him (and others on the trip) are having trouble using calling cards. So she can phone the hotel and hope he's in the room...but that's about it. Her FI borrowed a cell phone of one of the reps - who offered it to him - and then found a public computer set up at the farm show that had skype and was set up to phone home. But that's not really going to happen again.So of course she's worried about him. If this was you, what would you do? What could you do? I just feel sorry for her...no real point to the story.On another note - the hotel has wireless, but the internet is only compatible with Mac? I've never heard of that, but the people at the hotel are telling him that.

Re: what do you do?

• Options
    If I were her I would get in touch with him -- call the hotel room until I got him -- and try to set up some sort of "schedule" of when to call him.  That way he has something to look forward to during the day, and isn't afraid of leaving his room for fear of missing her call. Hopefully then he'll be encouraged to go out on his own and enjoy this "once in a lifetime" experience, without feeling too homesick. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    He's still feeling the anxiety even with the meds? That sucks... there really isn't anything she can do from here other than keep trying to communicate with him. I've never heard of wireless being compatible with Macs only. Strange. Just be there for her, I guess, until she can hear from him. If she's worried and it shows when she talks to him, it might make it worse for him. One of my gfs has bad anxiety problems and it's difficult to talk her out of it. She has to deal with it herself.
  • Options
    I don't see how internet can only be compatible with onle 1 operating system. Its kind of odd, but I would suggest they webcam. When my mom was in germany, she bought a cheap pay as you go phone (like the kind they sell at walmart) and used that, that way she wouldn't rack up charges on her cell, plus hers didn't work there. Maybe he could look into that. If he puts his CC to use for the phone, would they allow him to use the phones? Has he tried talking to the front desk about that?
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    I feel for your friend and her husband. :( I have anxiety as well and it can be really hard to break the worry-thought cycle when it's in full-swing.  I think BayState has a great idea about the two of them trying to set up a calling schedule. That has always been helpful to me in the past. Hopefully he will feel better with some good sleep and staying busy.When does he return home? Poor guy. :(
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yah, they set up a calling schedule for today, but then they move hotels each night until he leaves Europe on Tuesday. Knowing him, I think it's the lonliness...which should get better for him - the days are now group activities, so until he gets to the hotels, he won't really be alone at all. Today apparently he lost the group he was with. Being alone would make it worse, definitely. I'll tell her about pay as you go phones, that's a really good idea. I know my sister did that in Mexico last summer...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards