Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Another S/O Poll: What have you stolen?

When there was a huge family feud over my grandparents' estate, all the adults were bickering over a house/farm down here and two houses with a lot of land in the mountains. My sister and I (16 and 17 at the time) realized it would drag out for years, and it has. We decided the only thing we wanted was the doorknobs out of the mountain house that we used to spend hours cleaning and pretending they were magic (they were crystal). We waited until we knew everyone was at the lawyer, battling for every item for the afternoon and snuck up to the mountain house and stole 12 doornobs. No one lived in the house, but someone had been in there the day before and the day after the meeting, so when they discovered they were all gone no one was able to blame anyone because they were all at the same place with an alibi. Almost 20 years later we still haven't told anyone we took them. But last year for Christmas I stole a big plank off the barn down here that's falling down. I took it, cut it down and fastened the doorknobs I've hidden for 17 years and made a coat rack for my sister. We were right; one cousin got practically everything and we got nothing but the doorknobs we stole. I told my mom I bought them on eBay and made the coat rack for my sister.

Re: Another S/O Poll: What have you stolen?

• Options
    That's actually pretty amazing, Bec.  I love that you stole doorknobs and made a coat rack out of them.I used to steal jewelry from the dollar store when I was like, 10.  I still feel bad about it.
  • Options
    In 2nd grade, I stole two hair elastics- the thin fuzzy kind- from the class biitch. One was fuschia and one was purple. I felt guilty as soon as I snatched them off her desk. I think I threw them away because I was too guilty to wear them. That's the extent of my life of crime.
  • Options
    I stole a toothbrush when I was about 8. I was playing with it as we were walking around the store and walked out with it in my hand. The weird part was my mom blamed me for doing it on purpose. It was one of the first times in my life I remember thinking an adult didn't know everything they thought they did.
  • Options
    I stole a pregnancy test when I was 17.  That was really embarrassing to admit.  No, I was not pregnant, but apparently very stupid.
  • Options
    Those little square caramel things at Publix when I was a kid.
  • Options
    I want that coat rack - it sounds gorgeous. I used to shoplift when I was a teenager.  Makeup, nail polish, jewelry, perfume.  All that girly teenager stuff my mom wouldn't buy for me.  Once I got a job at 15, I started paying for these things.
  • Options
    Bec, seriously you need to write a book. You are full of fun stories! I stole candy from a store when I was a kid. Not just once- several times. Found out in my late teens that the owners/managers knew, they just didn't care. My BFF and I stole my mom's car once. She didn't know about it until the rehearsal dinner a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    I stole a piece of gum as a kid. I hid it in my shoe until I got home, and it was gross and not worth it. Other than that, I raid empty offices for furniture. Not stealing exactly, just making use of what's around. I have a veritable fort of desks and my own personal coat rack.
  • Options
    I've never stolen anything but that doorknob idea as a coat rack is really creative.  That could work in my house. We have an old Victorian.
  • Options
    I stole mascara from Rite Aid when I was like 14 because my loser friends thought it was cool to steal. I nearly wet my pants I was so panicky over it. I never knowingly stole again. When FI and I moved into our apartment though, I got new keys cut and as I looked around Home Depot for other stuff, I absentmindedly put the key bag in my purse. I paid for everything else and totally forgot about the keys entirely until I got home. Short term memory problems suck.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Bec that story is awesome! When I was a Sophomore in college I used to do FIs laundry for him in his dorm. One week I noticed a pair of pink sweat/lounge pants in my size. They were there every week when I did the laundry. Finally after a month I took them. I felt guilty for a short bit, but I thought seriously if they were there for a month they aren't getting claimed. I still wear them!
  • Options
    When my BM was 5, she saw another little girl steal a 5 cent candy from the store.  She told her mom this and her mom made her go into the store, apologize, and pay for that candy even though she had nothing to do with it.  She's never stolen anything in her life, from a store or a person, and gives her mom full credit for it.
  • Options
    In college I'd go around at the end of the semester and "steal" the textbooks people had piled by the trash and sell them on eBay.  Although if it's trash, I don't really consider it stealing, but whatever.  I made a mint off those stupid rich kids who couldn't be bothered to walk their books to the union for buy-back!
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    That's a sad story. I'll never understand why families fight like that when one of their family members has passed away. Or how when a family member is dying the first thing they think of is their Will. I work in the Trusts and Estates department at a law firm and it amazes everything a family member calls because they want a copy of their mother's/father's/aunt's/etc. Will because they're dying in the hospital.I mean, I understand there are reasons for wanting/needing it, but come on. Your loved one is dying.
  • Options
    When I was with my ex, I stole quite of few pictures of HIS ex-girlfriend (That he was apparently still sleeping with on the side) and destroyed them to make myself feel better. He always made me feel like a piece of crap, and talked about how he "would always love her in  some way".The really sad part of the story is that I stayed with him for 3 years. God, I was retarded then (Ages 19-21)Bec, your story is totally awesome, btw.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    I stole a piece of candy when I was 5 from the candy stand in the grocery store..  At home I tried to flush the evidence but the wrapper didn't go down.  My mom found it and made me take a nickel to the grocery store manager.  I cried the entire time, while he told me horror stories of arresting people for stealing meat.Apparently I was scared straight and never even thought about stealing anything since.
  • Options
    Bec, seriously you need to write a book. You are full of fun stories!I was thinking the same thing Manda. I can't decide what I want more, a Bec reality parenting show or a book o' Bec stories.
  • Options
    I had a pink plastic teaset when I was kid, and I was missing a piece, so I stole a piece from the church nursey to complete my set (they didn't have a full set, not even close, and the pieces were just laying around).
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow Stack!! Your sig picture is absolutely gorgeous! Goodness you are so pretty!!!
  • Options
    when i was in 3rd grade, my teacher had a candy bucket. three different times, i waited until the entire class and teacher were at recess and pretended to need to go to the bathroom so i could steal a few pieces of candy. i got busted on the third time. damnit.2 yrs later, my little sister had the same teacher and did the exact same thing! neither of us has stolen anything since, but we both stole bubble gum from the same teacher in 3rd grade. awesome.
  • Options
    Really embarrassing even years later.  When I was about 13 and started getting boobages I needed to buy a bra, but I was too embarrassed to let the changing room lady know that I needed to try one on.  So I hid it between two different outfits and she totally figured it out and thought I was trying to steal it.  I could have died.
  • Options
    Ha! I'm just an idiot who doesn't set boundaries for herself quite as often as she should. My sister and I both have tons of hilarious stories. We made quite a name for ourselves growing up in our small town. We thought about writing a book together, because we always have the same story, but different points of view, which just adds layers to the funny. We are idiots. Big ones. I have a pic of the coat rack somewhere. It turned out really cool, but it took a couple trips to the hardware store with a big honkin crystal doorknob in my purse.
  • Options
    I stole makeup, nail polish, hair stuff, and candy when I was in 8th and 9th grade.  All my friends did it, and we got caught one time.  The owner of the store was incredibly nice to us, let us off the hook, and just asked us to leave our backpacks behind the front desk if we came in after school.  I felt awful, but the rest of those ho bags were pissed that he said anything to us.  I was kind of a trouble maker outside of school and after I went off to college, I worried that I had set a bad example for my little sister.  Even though I went to parties and drank and poked smot and shoplifted, I took school very seriously and made straight A's.  Unfortunately my sister only saw the bad things I did, and when she was 16, she got arrested for shoplifting, just an hour after she had left work with her paycheck.  I blamed myself for her and her problems for like 2 years after that, and started going home every weekend to spend time with her and try to keep her azz out of trouble.
  • Options
    I stole a card-board suitcase from school. When everyone was in the hallway, I went into my classroom and shoved it in my bookbag and the teacher caught me and asked where I got it. I told her my mom bought it.. I still feel bad about it, Over 10 years later.On the other hand, I am an exellent liar. But I only use it for good.. or mischief! :)
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Oh, I also stole a traffic cone one time. Ah, the things we did to amuse ourselves in a hick town.  My dad found it and demanded that I return it to the City public works or something.  I said, "ok dad" and dumped it in the parking lot of the church full of all the a-holes who came and ate at my restaurant and were rude to me.  It's still there to this day. 
  • Options
    Heels - you just reminded me.  In high school we used to play this game where you'd pile as many people in a car as you could.  You'd go around one person at a time and they'd tell the driver where to turn and which way. . . .  basically it'd get you really lost, then once we were lost when it was your turn you could either give a driving direction or someone a dare.  I had to to steal a flashing traffic thingy and throw it off a bridge into water.  So I guess I stole that too. 
  • Options
    Heels, I stole a cone once too, but it was from someone's driveway that they were getting paved.. I felt bad afterwards and write a letter, attached it to the cone and left it in their driveway a week later.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    Oh and I forgot...when I was a sorority pledge, we stole a giant paddle from one of the frat houses. (It was the Iota paddle because we were the Iota pledge class.) Two other pledges and I managed to sneak it into the first floor bathroom and I climbed out the window and this girl passed it out to me. Then we ran through the backyard with it and I fell over a fence. Ahhh college.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, we used to steal street signs and cool subway posters and that kind of thing in high school.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards