Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Long BM dress versus short BM dress

I hope that I'm posting this question in the right area.  If I'm not, please just point me in the right direction.  My wedding dress is knee length.  I'm having only one person stand up for me.  Would it look odd if my MOH wears a long dress that allows her toes to barely peek out?  Or should she wear a shorter dress since I'm wearing a shorter one?  Would it look odd?

Re: Long BM dress versus short BM dress

• Options
    Ask her what she is most comfortable with and go with that. Either one will look fine.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I think the lengths can probably differ as long as the formality level is similar.  You don't want your MOH's dress to be more formal than yours.
  • Options
    I'd have to look at pics to tell you if I think it looks odd. To me, long BM dress = formal, short wedding dress = informal. But it can go the other way around. So... I'm pretty sure you CAN pull it off if you're both comfortable with it and thinks it looks good. If she's happy and you're happy, go for it.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think it really matters, but if it were my wedding I'd have both in short.  It's probably just personal preference, but I wouldn't want the MOH looking too formal for the rest of the wedding.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I think it would look odd if the BM is in a long dress, because I see a long dress as more formal, and you don't want the BMs dress to be more formal than yours.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    Personally I prefer short, but there are some long dresses that are more informal. Like those ones that Old Navy had out last summer... I don't know what they were called...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    it will be fine, but i'm not a big fan of long bm dresses so i feel inclined to say it should be short. ;)
  • Options
    Honestly, I think it'd look a bit odd if the MOH dress was longer than the bride's.
  • Options
    But but but...what if the MOH has some mean ol' cankles and is uncomfortable in a short dress? I like short dresses better personally, too, but I'm just sayin'...
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Fishy, totally true, and maybe as long as the dress was pretty darn casual, it would be ok. I don't know, I just can't picture it.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    I wish that I had pictures to post.  The reason behind my question is that I began with a long sheath style wedding dress with a simple chapel train.  I liked my dress but didn't love it.  I totally settled on my 3rd or 4th choice because of cost reasons.  Then this weekend I totally threw caution to the wind and returned the first dress for THE dress that I absolutely love (can you believe that Davids allowed me to do that?).  THE dress is a knee length sheath with lots of beads wrapped around the waist and bust area.  I love it.  The problem is that I had already purchased the long MOH dress.  I bought it on eBay for $40 from someone who had worn it once.  It's just a satin, long, sheath with spaghetti straps.  No beading or anything.  Since I'm having only one person stand up for me.  I told her that she can wear any shoes that she wants and I'd buy her a wrap to keep warm.  And we're planning to do one anothers hair and nails.  She was happy to get to stand up for me without needing to spend any $$ and I was happy to have her stand up for me without asking her to spend any $$.  So now I'm wondering if we can still just go with the dress that I bought for her or if I need to go back to square one.  The MOH prefers long dresses because she says that she has stick legs that she'd prefer to hide if possible.  Her dress length really didn't matter to me at all until my sister spoke up and said that it would be odd and now I'm second guessing myself.  If it matters at all, our wedding is in the early afternoon with only 40 guests with a luncheon reception.  Then later that evening there will be a much bigger and livelier bash at our family's home - things are sure to get pretty wild there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards