Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Paying for a plane ticket

Hi all,

My fiance and I would like to fly in his best man to our wedding because my fiance wasn't able to make it to his wedding. He has friends from all over the world (military upbringing) and it's important to us that at least some of his friends can come so we're going to offer to pay for his ticket.

Does etiquette say we should also pay for his wife's ticket? Either way is doable, I just don't want to A) offend (she is just as important as her husband!), or B) overstep any boundaries ("what are we, poor? we can afford our own tickets" sorta thing). I know this sounds SO stupid but I'm just nervous about it for some reason!

Any advice would be great! 

Re: Paying for a plane ticket

• Options
    I think FI should take the lead on this.  I would guess he'd know the guy best.

Not sure what I would do to be honest if it were left to me. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_paying-for-a-plane-ticket?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1301291c-f4de-4349-b0f5-f71f0ba8ec48Post:76326c07-8569-4a85-8c97-9b27eee195d1">Re: Paying for a plane ticket</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agree up to fiance, but if it were me, I would say, listen I feel terrible about not being able to make it to your wedding, here is $x to put toward transportation, and let friend figure it out.
    Posted by NYUgirl100[/QUOTE]
    This is a good idea. I just looked up prices and they're totally doable so we could just throw some money their way. <div>
    </div><div>Thanks both!</div>
  • Options

If they are going to be staying in a hotel, why not just cover a night or two of their stay? I just think it would be weird to give them money and say--'hey, sorry I couldn't make it to your wedding, but here's some cash so you can make it to mine'.

Or since he is in the wedding, why not take care of his tux rental?

• Options
    Yeah, I don't think I'd do any of the above. I know you're trying to be nice, but it's sort of awkward. What if another friend finds out he paid for this guy's ticket? 
  • Options
    I don't think I'd pay for plane tickets for the guy or his wife either-especially if there is no indication that they need financial assistance.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards