Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What is a welcome bag and what is it's purpose?

Hi all Knotties, I've been hearing about these on the knot and other websites, and it sounds like these are things to give to guests but I'm not sure. All I've read was what to put in them but I don't grasp the concept of why or if they are necessary. Are these in addition to party favors?

Re: What is a welcome bag and what is it's purpose?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-a-welcome-bag-and-what-is-its-purpose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:15266ae4-47e8-485d-80db-ac8354e6e950Post:539b719a-1c24-4d60-9b89-73ef2ed017f3">What is a welcome bag and what is it's purpose?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all Knotties, I've been hearing about these on the knot and other websites, and it sounds like these are things to give to guests but I'm not sure. All I've read was what to put in them but I don't grasp the concept of why or if they are necessary. Are these in addition to party favors?
    Posted by Amyzen83[/QUOTE]

Gift bags usually contain a few things the host might think an out-of-town would need or want during their stay. The contents vary, usually based on the location and length of stay and preference.
    They're not necessary, but somestimes fun to give or have, like a party favor.
  • Options
    Welcome bags may be given to OOT guests. If you have a room block set aside, the front desk can give the bags to your guests when they check in. They aren't required, but they can be nice if you have a lot of people traveling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Usually welcome bags are for those guest who have come from out of town and are staying in a hotel. They usually have just water and snacks, I have gotten some that are more unique to the area (Food, drinks, ect.) Sometimes it's nice if they don't know where drug stores, or other places around your wedding location are. 

Also, people put special instructions, like shuttles to the wedding, cocktails the night before the wedding, ect. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Some of us give the OOT guests welcome bags for coming to the wedding.   Mine included  water and snacks from the local area (tastykakes, salt water taffy), beer koozies (big beer drinking around the beach people and the wedding was on a beach) and a timeline for the day/transportation information.

They are not necessary, but something we wanted to do.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We did welcome bags for the 6 couples that came from Florida and Canada for our wedding.  We loaded their bags with some brochures from places around the city as well as their favorite alcoholic beverage and some snacks that are local to our area.

They are definitely not necessary and if we had had a lot of OOT guests we probably would have nixed the bags all together because it just would have run into too much money.

• Options
    I personally do not find them necessary. Any time I travel, I manage to bring or acquire the items in them without much trouble. I know a lot of people like them, but I just see it as an extra expense. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    They are optional, but have become more popular lately.  I tend to see them more when the wedding is more of a destination (majority of people needing a hotel).  My friend did one for her wedding and it was cute-- It simply was a gift bag and had a welcome note to the guests and said thank you for taking time to come and celebrate their wedding.  It had a list of local things to do, directions to popular places, etc. Plus it had rehearsal info (out of town guests were invited) as well as the day after brunch for those that were interested in joining.  It had some snacks, bottled water, tylenol, small bottle of champagne, tissue pack, mints, things like that.  They were put in the hotel rooms so when guests arrived and checked in they had information and some small treats for the wedding weekend.  We plan on doing something similar since majority of our guest will need a hotel and are out of state, so its nice to have some local info at their fingertips--and everyone can always use snacks! 

Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'm not sure how many OOTies we'll finally have... But if it fits in our budget, they seem like a cute ideas and I'm sure my guests will love them! I think I'll wait closer to the date before deciding... Anyway, thanks for letting me know!
  • Options
    We did ours very simply including maps, travel/tourism guides from our local Chamber of Commerce and a list of our favorite freebies in town, restaurants & museums as well as the guide to special seasonal events.

We got married in October and live in Salem MA, so it's a HUGE time of year with lots of stuff going on; we wanted our guests from OOT who were staying longer than the weekend to have some ideas of what to do and where to go.

• Options
    I'm just dropping off a bottle of local wine to each room.
  • Options
    We're making bags for our wedding party and their SO's or parents. Since we're getting married on the beach, the kids are getting sand buckets with bubbles, coloring books, a Barbie (they're all girls) and some snacks and candy. The grown-ups are getting simple beach totes (no monogramming or anything) with information about the surrounding area, wine, snacks, bottled water and OBX stickers :)
  • Options
    What cool creative ideas! CourtaniaLynn, would have loved to be an out of town kid for your wedding! I loved Barbies and coloring books! ...still do hahaha!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-a-welcome-bag-and-what-is-its-purpose?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:15266ae4-47e8-485d-80db-ac8354e6e950Post:e4bb4c4a-5bbe-483d-8df1-afa8958a1ae2">Re: What is a welcome bag and what is it's purpose?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What cool creative ideas! CourtaniaLynn, would have loved to be an out of town kid for your wedding! I loved Barbies and coloring books! ...still do hahaha!
    Posted by Amyzen83[/QUOTE]

<div>haha thanks, the only kids coming to the wedding are the ones in the wedding party (didn't plan it that way, it's just how it happened). Maybe I should get coloring books for the grownups too...</div>
  • Options
    Lol! I'm sure they'll love them too!
  • Options
    Stupid question...
    DOES each Guest get one?
    or EACH room/couple get one?

THANKS
  • Options

IDK, based on what people said, if I decide to got that rout, I'd probubly do 1 bag per couple with stuff for him and stuff for her inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards