Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice

We have a small townhouse (like smaller than an average apartment). Our garage is our storage area, so there's not too much room. Small closets that are full of stuff...I REALLY just want to open them and put them in cabinets, on the counter, etc. But I know you shouldn't until after the wedding. So now everything is under a console table in the living room/dining room. I have some stuff barely fitting in the closet. Man...I wish the wedding would come so we can put this stuff in their proper places.

Photobucket

Anniversary

Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:37ddce74-24f9-425e-87cb-bb648249ff0d">someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a small townhouse (like smaller than an average apartment). Our garage is our storage area, so there's not too much room. Small closets that are full of stuff...I REALLY just want to open them and put them in cabinets, on the counter, etc. But I know you shouldn't until after the wedding. So now everything is under a console table in the living room/dining room. I have some stuff barely fitting in the closet. Man...I wish the wedding would come so we can put this stuff in their proper places.
    Posted by mstar284[/QUOTE]<div>Ok...</div><div>What's the question?

</div>
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2011
    We have a small condo and opened and used our gifts before the wedding..  

We did have the money to return/give back the gifts if the wedding did not take place.  
    I say just use them, but prepare to return them if the wedding does not happen.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Is the question whether or not you can use them?  Technically no, but like Lynda said, if you have the money to replace should the need arise, then by all means go to it.  Obviously no one plans for their wedding to be called off, but etiquette dictates that all gifts be returned unused should the wedding not take place, so you'll have to be sure you can follow that just in case.
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:6c78fc4e-a2d1-4cc8-9f0b-8bf821d5d112">Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice : Ok... What's the question?
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Can I unpack everything and put it away even though I thought it was proper "etiquette" to keep everything packaged until after the wedding? I may be wrong on the whole thing. I was never one for following the "rules"

EDIT: I wasn't planning on really using the stuff, but I figured once I unpacked it...it would still be sort of the same thing. And to Bree--I was planning on writing some thank you notes this weekend.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's late, and I've had some drinks...

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:3c70f1ec-bdd2-4244-81bf-94d69d2ef7dd">Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice : You're right, it sort of is the same thing because a lot of things can't be returned once you've removed them from their packaging. As for the thank you notes- you really should send them out as soon as you open a gift.  <strong>This lets the person who sent the gift know that you have received it, and that you are appreciative.  I detest delayed thank you notes.
    </strong>Posted by bree4305[/QUOTE]

I really had no idea. I thought you were supposed to send them as if they were to bring them to the wedding...so after the wedding. But I will definitely get on that ASAP. The earliest gift came 3 weeks ago. Oops. Thanks for the heads up!

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:52d76b58-23c3-4ae4-9375-eb9253d0b255">Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice : I really had no idea. I thought you were supposed to send them as if they were to bring them to the wedding...so after the wedding. But I will definitely get on that ASAP. The earliest gift came 3 weeks ago. Oops. Thanks for the heads up!
    Posted by mstar284[/QUOTE]
    I love your siggy. 
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I I love your siggy. 
    Posted by Ghoti[/QUOTE]

Thanks! FI and I love Workaholics.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    Traditionally, the gifts are opened immediately and TYs are written & sent immediately, then the gifts are displayed in the living room and dining room of the bride's parents' house - you can see this done in the remake of "Father of the Bride" with Steve Martin.
  • Options
    This only happens in fantasyland Kristen. I don't Know any adult who has ever done that. Father of the Bride is not a movie to be watched in a "how to" fashion.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:7cba0427-2fc1-4766-987a-b6004c99257e">Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE]This only happens in fantasyland Kristen. I don't Know any adult who has ever done that. Father of the Bride is not a movie to be watched in a "how to" fashion.
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Displaying gifts in the parents home is no longer done but it was done through the 60s and even in to at least the middle 70s. I'm not sure when it went out of fashion but I'd guess somewhere in the mid 70s to mid 80s.

Parents would set up tables in their dining rooms and sometimes in the living room if there were that many gifts. They would be covered with white table clothes and the gifts arranged so that they were displayed much like in a store. Friends and family would stop by to admire the gifts.

It seems very odd to me now but I remember going with my mom to people's homes to view gifts. 
  • Options
    Yay! A Father of the Bride reference! (sarcasm font).

No one does this anymore. I don't live close to my parents so it would have been silly and a waste of time and money to ship everything there and then ship it here.

OP, as we received wedding gifts before the wedding, we unpacked things and put them away. We even used some (gasp!) but if the wedding didn't take place, we would have reimbursed the givers for the stuff we used.
    planning

• Options
    Thanks guys! Well, I am 99.9% sure that this whole thing will go through...but you never know. No seriously, I really don't want to have to reimburse guests (even though I know we're getting married anyway). Maybe I'll just open the cheaper ones ;) Thanks for everyone's input. I'll probably keep the expensive stuff like china and crystal packed up somewhere safe and maybe unpack the little stuff that can be put away in drawers and cabinets. It will save space. Thanks again.

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • Options
    >>Parents would set up tables in their dining rooms and sometimes in the living room if there were that many gifts. They would be covered with white table clothes and the gifts arranged so that they were displayed much like in a store. Friends and family would stop by to admire the gifts.

I understand that this tradition is not done in some very contemporary cities where some Etiquette girls live, but this is absolutely done here in the South where we still do a lot of the etiquette and traditions for weddings.
  • Options
    mstar284mstar284 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_someone-registering-gifts-told-post-this-here-advice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:1b477577-54c6-4a17-98f9-1cb7e8c184fcPost:7c66820f-8670-421f-9424-5db0207f705f">Re: someone from Registering & Gifts told me to post this here for advice</a>:
    [QUOTE] /> />Parents would set up tables in their dining rooms and sometimes in the living room if there were that many gifts. They would be covered with white table clothes and the gifts arranged so that they were displayed much like in a store. Friends and family would stop by to admire the gifts. I understand that this tradition is not done in some very contemporary cities where some Etiquette girls live, <strong>but this is absolutely done here in the South where we still do a lot of the etiquette and traditions for weddings.
    </strong>Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Really Kristin? I was born and raised in Georgia. My mother is from Alabama and my father is from South Carolina. I have NEVER heard of this, and we certainly have never done any such thing in our family. Oh well.

Photobucket

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards