Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: What's everyone reading?

Now that our wedding is over, I'm looking forward to getting back to reading!  I hardly read anything in 2012, so I feel like I'm behind.  Any good book recommendations?  I'm open to pretty much anything.....

Re: NWR: What's everyone reading?

• Options
    I mostly read chick lit easy reads to decompress, so here's my favorites I read in 2012...
    Boquet Toss- Melissa Brown (also was like $2 on my kindle)
    Heart of the Matter- Emily Giffin
    Commencement- J. Courtney Sullivan (wasn't what I'd call chick lit, but was a good read)

• Options
    I didn't read diddly in 2012.  We'll see if 2013 gets any easier, but I doubt it.  I kinda miss reading.
  • Options
    I second Gone Girl!  It was one of my favorite books of 2012.  Also, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.  I think it is a young adult book, and it was a fairly quick read for me, but sooo good.  And powerful.
    I'm reading Life Among Giants by Bill Roorbach right now.  It's similar to Gone Girl in style, a mystery with intense characters.  I also got really into S.J Bolton (a British author) for mysteries with good characters.  And J.K. Rowling's book The Casual Vacancy came out this year.  I personally loved the Harry Potter series (obsessive love, that will never die) and I also loved this book.  Beware though, it is best to imagine that The Casual Vacancy is written by a different person.  It got some bad reviews because people were expecting more magic and adventure, but got what is essentially a character driven drama.

I know there are more books to recommend, but this is what immediately comes to mind.
  • Options
    I also liked Gone Girl.

Another recent read of mine was The Art of Racing in the Rain. Great book for dog lovers and non-dog lovers alike. It will make you laugh and bawl.

Right now I'm reading a nonfiction book, The GIft of Fear. Kind of odd but I'm enjoying it. It's about the psychology behind fear and what we think of as our gut instinct with tips for the various fearful situations we might find ourselves in during our lifetime.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    I just put Gone Girl on my reader due to all the great reviews by my friends. I recently finished Clara and Mr. Tiffany, which I totally adored. Before that I read Pictures at an Exhibition and I loved that too. Before that I read No Easy Day and Steve Jobs. Absolutely loved them. Based on friends' recommendations, I started reading The Shadow of the Wind and I hate it. Tried twice. Ugh. Oh, and Loopy, from your siggy, it looks like you're not going to be reading much in 2013 either. Beautiful baby.
  • Options
    I'm really into memoirs. And lately, I've been reading memoirs by strong, sassy women. Tina Fey's book "Bossypants" is AWESOME, Jane Lynch's "Happy Accidents" is great, and Mindy Kaling's "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns)" is hilarious!!!
  • Options
    I'm currently reading The Posienwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver; it is fantastic.  I am about 2/3 of the way through, and it is fantastic!

I also recently finished
    Anne Frank Remembered: The Story of the Woman Who Helped to Hide the Frank Family by Meip Geis, Mere Christianity by C S Lewis, The Distant Hours by Kate Morton and Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner.  I would recommend them all.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:NWR: What's everyone reading?:[QUOTE]Gone Girl blew my mind. It is a trainwreck, the story not the writing, that you simply cannot put down. Amazing!
    . Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I second this. After I finished it, I immediately bought Dark Places and Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn's other two novels, and completely devoured them. So freakin creepy and weird and awesome.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-whats-everyone-reading?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:248ef4eb-6070-4a10-a305-fd0d0a5c1285Post:6a5986cc-0402-4536-9b85-9dac65a2d1db">Re:NWR: What's everyone reading?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:NWR: What's everyone reading?: I second this. After I finished it, I immediately bought Dark Places and Sharp Objects, Gillian Flynn's other two novels, and completely devoured them. So freakin creepy and weird and awesome.
    Posted by ltaylor713[/QUOTE]

Yes!  I ended up reading all three in one weekend.  
  • Options
    ltaylor713ltaylor713 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    In Response to Re:NWR: What's everyone reading?:[QUOTE]In Response to Re:NWR: What's everyone reading? Yes! nbsp;I ended up reading all three in one weekend. nbsp; Posted by dtbluv[/QUOTE]

So good...but then I was sad that there were no more to read...hope she comes out with a new one soon!
  • Options
    I'll second the Art of Racing in the Rain. It was recommended to me by a friend, and I had to stop reading it at work, because I was crying at my desk!

I just read The Hunger Games (I know, I'm the last person on earth), and it was better than I expected. Predictable in places, but that's the thing about YA lit; it has to have the unrequieted love story and the choosing the best-bot-friend vs the new love interest.

Anything without sparkly vampires is cool with me!

(But if you like supernatural stuff, the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris is good)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I liked the Hunger Games as well but it is a vey easy read. My favourite series is The Dark Tower novels by Stephen King. Not scary, it's an epic over 7 novels that follows the main character during his pursuit for the tower. Really, really good! I'm currently reading The Game of Thrones series. That hooks you in! Each chapter is in the perspective of one of the characters so you really get a felling of who each person is. Very interesting
  • Options
    I'm reading Killing Kennedy right now an it's been a riviting read so far.  I'm starting A Casual Vacancy next.  Now that the wedding is over, I'm enjoying getting back into reading.
  • Options
    Thanks guys!  Lots of books to add to my list.  Gone Girl is going to the top.....I just read the synopsis and it looks really good!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards