New York-New York City
Options

chair covers - essential or added cost i can live without?

hey guys... wondering if anyone can share with me what the average price of renting chair covers is.  i'm trying to decide if i can live without them at our wedding reception to keep costs down or if it's something that would be worth it in the long run.  so, if you have recently rented chair covers, or looked into it, and can tell me how much it was and/or a company that you had a good experience with, that would be much appreciated!  our reception will be in midtown if that helps.

thanks in advance.

Visit The Knot!

Re: chair covers - essential or added cost i can live without?

• Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they are a waste of money.  what kind of chairs does the place have?  and what is your color scheme. Mine chairs had a nice bamboo look to them and fit in well with my fall colors.  I think my place was going to it for $5 per chair (I couldn't justify spending that much money when I was having 220 guests)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Unless you absolutely HATE the chairs at the venue, I'd call it a waste of money. 
  • Options
    MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ditto pp's - what type of chairs does your venue have?
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies.  maybe this picture will help - these are the chairs. *gag*

It's from an an event they had there before.  quite the leafy centerpieces...

i am using their linens - white tablecloths and napkins, and will have purple accents on the tables... purple votive candles, tall white manzanita branches with orchids, some shorter dark  purple centerpieces, etc.  but i wonder if these chairs will stick out like crazy since they're so dark. blah.  did anyone out there not get chair covers but not notice the chairs in the end?

hmmm, i wonder if renting chairs would be cheaper than renting chair covers?  thoughts?
    Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would say that if you really hate the chairs to the point where you think they will mess up your overall look and ruin your pictures then don't rule out the chair covers.  I know of a Knottie on the Connecticut board who is buying chair covers from www.efavormart.com. I think they are around $3 each or something like that.  You can always try to re sell them after your wedding to another knottie and re coup some of your money.  Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the same debate and opted to "live without."

On my wedding day, I didn't even notice the chairs.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think those chairs are horrible.  Just neutral, with clean lines.  If your table was set with lots of golds and warm colors they might look cool.  But, the buy covers and sell them later is perhaps a good compromise!  See what you can find on ebay!
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how many guests are you expecting?  if you have a lot then I would say don't do the covers.  No one will notice, especially since it will be darker in the room than the pic you posted.  Everyone wil be looking at the centerpieces, the cake, you and hubby, the dance floor, etc....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies!  you have definitely given me some food for thought.  we will have about 85 guests so i guess if i do decide to go for the re-sellable covers, it won't be a staggering cost.  thanks for the suggestions on ebay and efavormart, if i can find some cheap (and i really don't mind if they're used) i may spring for it.  
    Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There are lots of places online that you can rent covers for well under $5 and depending on how much you order, you can save more.  So I'd look into it, figure out the cost, then weigh that against your feelings for your chairs.

I haven't decided whether I want covers, but I have the option of picking out the chairs I want.  So I may take really cheap chairs and cover them or go with something really nice and leave it exposed. 

But this is a personal decision - lots of brides have covered, others not.  If you decide you want it or are considering it, look at the rest of your budget and projects to see where you can move around funds to cover the expense.  GL.
  • Options
    joebeth22joebeth22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  Look on Wedding Bee under "decor".  Lots of gals are selling chair covers by the bunch and you can negotiate a very fair price.  Try to cover those chairs; you'll be happier.  Or tell the venue 'owners' that it's high time they got the standard chairs that suit the kinds of receptions they probably have there about four out of seven nights a week, especially with the holiday season coming up!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Those are irregular size chairs.  Most chair covers will only fit a ballroom or what they call a chivari chair.  I personally do not like chair covers and tend to think they are a waste of money.  If you think you can't live with the chairs you might want to look into renting ballroom chairs, typically about 7 dollars per chair but you can pick from a bunch of different colors of cushions and wood finishes.  That might be a better avenue for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards