Wedding Etiquette Forum

Proof my invitation

I'm looking for any comments on the invitation wording before I order.  Someone on the invites board told me it should be half past, but everything I read said not to use that. 

Also my venue (including cake) does not need the final head count until two days before the wedding.  Is the RSVP date in line?

TIA

Invitation:

MR. AND MRS. BRIDES PARENTS
REQUEST THE HONOUR OF YOUR PRESENCE
AT THE MARRIAGE OF THEIR DAUGHTER
My first and middle name
TO
FI's First, middle and last name
SON OF MR. AND MRS. GROOMS PARENTS
ON SATURDAY, THE THIRTIETH OF APRIL
TWO THOUSAND AND ELEVEN
AT HALF AFTER TWO IN THE AFTERNOON
SAINTS church's name
CITY, PENNSYLVANIA

Reception Card:
PLEASE JOIN US FOR COCKTAILS, DINNER AND DANCING
AT HALF AFTER FOUR IN THE EVENING

Reception Name
Street address
city, state

Response Card:
PLEASE RESPOND ON OR BEFORE APRIL 15, 2011
M_____________________________
___ ACCEPTS  ___DECLINES
PLEASE INITIAL EACH GUEST'S MEAL
___STUFFED CHICKEN  ___FILET MIGNON
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Proof my invitation

• Looks good to me, but I'd also post this on the invites and paper board if you haven't already.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • I did post it on the invite board and that is when someone told me it should be half past instead of half after.

thanks for looking it over.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't know if it's etiquette, but I like the wording half past. As I was reading it quickly, I actually said past instead of after.
  • Yep, it's good to go. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I think it should only be two thousand eleven, not two thousand and eleven.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:6f6421f7-262f-4452-a46c-85a306048d7f">Re: Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it should only be two thousand eleven, not two thousand and eleven.
    Posted by Ash2985[/QUOTE]

<div>Agree with this. The and is actually grammatically incorrect. </div><div>
    </div><div>I also like half past better.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:6f6421f7-262f-4452-a46c-85a306048d7f">Re: Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it should only be two thousand eleven, not two thousand and eleven.
    Posted by Ash2985[/QUOTE]

Agreed. No "and" needed.
  • "and" is optional and can go either way.  It's technically correct both ways.  I

"half past" is appropriate for a funeral, but "half after" is appropriate for a wedding.  "past" symbolically refers to the dead. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • thanks for all the suggestions
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:be5cf7f1-6a99-47a4-a9ca-67e436fcbfff">Re: Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]"half past" is appropriate for a funeral, but "half after" is appropriate for a wedding.  "past" symbolically refers to the dead. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]
    This is interesting, I did not know that.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Is it going to be in all caps? That's the only thing I would change, but that's mainly a personal preference since I think it looks odd. I would just I-cap or have it read like a normal sentence. Unless all caps is the norm for inviations, in which case never mind.
  • is it customary to call the Groom by his FIrst Middle Last, when the bride is only First Middle?   Especially since both are being referred to as son or daughter of parents' last....

I would think it should be Groom First Middle , but maybe someone else knows for sure?
  • Yes, that is traditionally correct.  It's also traditional to give the groom a title and not the bride on the invite.  It is permissable to remove the groom's last name if his parents are on the invite and they share a last name, but it's not an absolute either way. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Four is afternoon. Evening starts at six.

Seshat -- could be an all-cap font mixed with script. It usually looks fine on the invitation. Looks crazy when typed onto a message board.
    planning

• What everyone has suggested is correct, but I would also include the address of the church just above the city & state line.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:a2cd959f-87f2-4c0d-ba86-87e98d1c6ce8">Re: Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]is it customary to call the Groom by his FIrst Middle Last, when the bride is only First Middle?   Especially since both are being referred to as son or daughter of parents' last.... I would think it should be Groom First Middle , but maybe someone else knows for sure?
    Posted by cbvcru67[/QUOTE]

No, not when "son of"  is used right afterwards. OP, unless the groom has a different last name than his parents, I'd remove his last name so it's parallel with yours.

And like someone else mentioned, on the reception card, 4 o'clock is firmly afternoon -- I'd either change "evening" to "afternoon" or eliminate that phrase entirely.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:c76b1d10-923f-4878-afe9-f32b8f9f487a">Re: Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]What everyone has suggested is correct, but I would also include the address of the church just above the city & state line.
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

<div>You don't include the church address unless there are multiple churches of the same name in that city.</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_proof-inviation?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:37c194c8-7cb6-4a8f-8adf-ed37dde5a560Post:ead75753-523c-4227-85d5-db07937813b7">Proof my invitation</a>:
    [QUOTE]Reception Card: PLEASE JOIN US FOR COCKTAILS, DINNER AND DANCING[/QUOTE]

<div>Cocktails, Dinner, and Dancing</div><div>
    </div><div>The Oxford Comma is my friend:)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards