Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Most efficient receiving line?

What's the most efficient way to do your receiving line?  I despise waiting when a couple greets each row at the church...  I've debated doing table visits at the reception because I do have a loooong reception (6 hours)...so it's not like it would eat up a huge chunk of time.  I'm inviting 224 as of right now so it's a good number to greet.

Suggestions?

Re: Most efficient receiving line?

• Options
    We stood at the back of the ceremony space, and thanked guests as they moved from the ceremony space (outdoors) to the reception space (indoors).  We prefered this to doing table visits.
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I had planned on just my fiance and I doing the receiving line... Do you have to have parents or even moms? I figured moms can easily do the table visits with those guests they want to greet. My fiance just asked me to do it at the church. He is disabled and said it will make the night less painful if he can stay in one spot for the receiving line. I guess that's decided now! :
  • Options
    I hate traditional receiving lines as someone who has had to stand in one as a BM (if you do it, don't make your WP do it too), and as someone who has waited in an hour long receiving line only to get 2 seconds to say hi.

I much prefer table visits. We did them and we loved that we didn't really feel rushed and could actually talk to the guests. If you do table visits, I suggest prioritizing. What I mean is, hit up the guests who you think will leave the earliest first, like eldery guests, grandparents, families or couples with small children, etc. Those who you think will stay longest, like your friends, save until last. That way, you can always greet those guests on the dance floor, at the bar, while eating cake, etc.. We didn't miss anyone doing it this way and were able to get some actual conversation going outside of "Hi."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    We had a 20 min drive from ceremony to reception space, and wanted to show off our classic cars, so we left the ceremony space before anyone could bog us down with conversation. Then we left the cars in front of the reception and stood by the doors as people filed in for dinner. It was a great time/space to do a receiving line, and after everyone found their seat, we made our "grand entrance" and then ate. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We're getting married on the beach, so we're just going to stand near the stairs that lead over the dune back to our reception space. I'm leaving it to the parents if they want to greet guests with us (especially since my parents are hosting). This will be a moment for the wedding party to go inside, grab a quick drink, freshen up, etc before the pictures.
  • Options
    We did table visits, and I really enjoyed it b/c I felt like I got to spend a little more time with everyone b/c nobody was waiting in a line. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I definitely won't have the wedding party involved.  I don't ever understand why people do it.  Nobody cares to meet them...  I think I'll also have parents do table visits, if they wish, rather than stand with us to be more efficient...and because of his difficulty standing/walking for long periods we'll just do it at the rear of the church and hopefully maybe find a stool for him to take some weight off on.

Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards