Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Outdoor Reception

I am having an indoor ceremony and an outdoor reception at the end of April. I would love (as plan A) to have everything open for the ceremony. No tent, no cover, just an evening spring wedding under the stars, dancing and having a great time. My plan B obviously will include moving it indoors or getting a tent, but my first plan is to try and save some money where I can. My mom insists that my guests won't be comfortable sitting outside, at night without any cover whatsoever. I don't feel like this will be a big deal unless there is some bad weather. Which in that case, I will move to my plan B and make sure everyone is taken care of. Am I just stressing from the planning or does it really matter, on a perfect day, if there is a tent or not?

Re: Outdoor Reception

• Options
    In Response to Re:Outdoor Reception:[QUOTE]I am having an indoor ceremony and an outdoor reception at the end of April. I would love as plan A to have everything open for the ceremony. No tent, no cover, just an evening spring wedding under the stars, dancing and having a great time. My plan B obviously will include moving it indoors or getting a tent, but my first plan is to try and save some money where I can. My mom insists that my guests won't be comfortable sitting outside, at night without any cover whatsoever. I don't feel like this will be a big deal unless there is some bad weather. Which in that case, I will move to my plan B and make sure everyone is taken care of. Am I just stressing from the planning or does it really matter, on a perfect day, if there is a tent or not? Posted by tennisstar1986[/QUOTE]

Where are you holding the reception? I am posting from my phone and can't see your location. Something to keep in mind is that your idea of a "perfect day" is not the same as your best friend and not the same as your grandparents... I know my ideal of 80 degrees is WAY too hot for DH and his ideal of 70 with a breeze is way too cold for my grandma.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:394ff7fc-e082-4d03-a259-9db0a5b2675dPost:ac7867b5-a433-4f10-b819-0d17522b0313">Re: Outdoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]How bad are the mosquitoes where you are at that time of year?
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>They aren't really that bad. That's why I love picked early springtime in Texas, feels great and hardly any bugs. I hate bugs!!! We have them really bad right now and it's hotter than the average temp on my date.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:394ff7fc-e082-4d03-a259-9db0a5b2675dPost:040d8c8b-5fac-4769-8f95-87c6c7711068">Re:Outdoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Outdoor Reception: Where are you holding the reception? I am posting from my phone and can't see your location. Something to keep in mind is that your idea of a "perfect day" is not the same as your best friend and not the same as your grandparents... I know my ideal of 80 degrees is WAY too hot for DH and his ideal of 70 with a breeze is way too cold for my grandma.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I am in Fort Worth, TX. And I completely understand that.  And I also understand the chances of my "perfect day" being close to not happening!!! That's just my luck. But when I'm considering everyone, how far do I go to be considerate? To the point where it's not what I want at all? And to be honest, the groom's family coming in to town are all outdoorsy people so half of the guests I'm sure won't mind no tent. And I don't have any elderly people coming. Our grandparents have either passed away or aren't coming. Another thing too, the entire wedding is at a mansion in downtown Fort Worth so the ceremony is in the house and reception is outside so we can dance. I plan on still using the house after the ceremony just in case people don't want to be outside at all. Have it so that it flows inside and out. That way everyone can still be happy and stick around.</div>
  • Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    I think that anyone who plans an outdoor ceremony and reception will always have this in the back of their minds and will be a constant unknown. Just keep in mind that April-May weather in Dallas can go from gorgeous to tornado in a period of 10 minutes. 
    In regard to the question about mosquitoes, I would also be mindful of how close you are to water with the recent influx of West Nile in the metroplex. Granted, that may change in the next 9 months.

I don't mean to be Negative Nellie, but just bringing up some local concerns. 

ETA: Sounds like with you having the option of an indoor/outdoor flow you should be just fine. At least having the option to be inside is a good compromise.
  • Options
    I'm with your mother on this one.  Sitting outside on the patio with a few friends is one thing but this is too much, IMO

I've never been to a wedding without some type of tent or awning.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:394ff7fc-e082-4d03-a259-9db0a5b2675dPost:a5f9aa1a-6e5f-412e-8863-3c691c619baa">Re: Outdoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that anyone who plans an outdoor ceremony and reception will always have this in the back of their minds and will be a constant unknown. Just keep in mind that April-May weather in Dallas can go from gorgeous to tornado in a period of 10 minutes.  In regard to the question about mosquitoes, I would also be mindful of how close you are to water with the recent influx of West Nile in the metroplex. Granted, that may change in the next 9 months. I don't mean to be Negative Nellie, but just bringing up some local concerns.  ETA: Sounds like with you having the option of an indoor/outdoor flow you should be just fine. At least having the option to be inside is a good compromise.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah I'm definitely going to have the weather back up plan. If anything, the house is plan B. I'm not worried about that yet. I still need to come up with plan A! I'm just not sure if my guests will be happy if I don't have a tent. Not including weather, bugs, or anything unforseen. Just if they'll be happy if I choose to do that.</div>
  • Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_outdoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:394ff7fc-e082-4d03-a259-9db0a5b2675dPost:527b1ad9-3132-4a6f-945f-ac21ca46a231">Re: Outdoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor Reception : Yeah I'm definitely going to have the weather back up plan. If anything, the house is plan B. I'm not worried about that yet. I still need to come up with plan A! <strong>I'm just not sure if my guests will be happy if I don't have a tent</strong>. Not including weather, bugs, or anything unforseen. Just if they'll be happy if I choose to do that.
    Posted by tennisstar1986[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think that would be my main concern if I were a guest. After going to an outdoor reception earlier this year at the Arboretum I was so eaten alive by mosquitoes that a tent wouldn't have helped any. I just wished that we could have been indoors more after the sun went down, but with it being right on White Rock Lake I wasn't too surprised about the bugs.

ETA: come join us on the DFW board (under 'local wedding boards' to the left)!!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards