Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I hate tile floors.

I just shattered a bottle of perfume on the floor.  Brand new, and I was just about to use it for the first time.  Screw you, tile floor.  Screw.You.

Re: I hate tile floors.

• Options
    Oh no :(

I have tile floors. 

I love them because they're clean!

I hate them because Robert breaks EVERY watch I've EVER given him. (We're up to 4 now.)
  • Options
    I feel your pain.   Tile floors are the most practicle floor surface for us down here.  It's sucks they are so unforgiving.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Oh that literally STINKS - what perfume? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I lived in a house that was all tile, with the exception of the bedrooms---I hated it. It was always cold(er), and the floors/grouting were nasty (it was a rented house). 

One of my roommates dropped a jar of salsa--I swear we were still cleaning it up months later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Brrr tile is cold! I don't like it.  My parents' house has a lot of tile and its freezing!

...I've never broken anything on it, except but butt when I slip on it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Throw rugs are your friend.
  • Options
    That sucks. My mom's kitchen is all Mexican tile.  She finally started buying drinking glasses from the Dollar Store because my dad, brother, and I are all very clumsey and ruined all her nice drinking glasses by dropping them on the tile. They explode when they hit the tile.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Ugh.

We're down two coffee mugs and four wine glasses.  My main beef with them is that glass shatters EVERYWHERE!  I never knew broken glass could bounce that far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ok so now I'm definitely re-thinking tile in our kitchen.  FI laid tile in our front room and we have plans for the kitchen next.  What other options are there?  A foam floor? lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hate-tile-floors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:397ab216-862f-4557-be53-9207e39ef7b3Post:7f934c1b-b1fc-4e3e-838a-65719e57a5bf">Re: I hate tile floors.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh. We're down two coffee mugs and four wine glasses.  My main beef with them is that glass shatters EVERYWHERE!  I never knew broken glass could bounce that far.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

Every time I break a glass in my kitchen, I'm always scared I haven't found and swept up all the tiny shards and one of my dogs is going to step on it. I would feel so terrible.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hate-tile-floors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:397ab216-862f-4557-be53-9207e39ef7b3Post:30d127ed-acaa-42f5-9833-b18d697beaa0">Re: I hate tile floors.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throw rugs are your friend.
    Posted by Catwoman708[/QUOTE]

Very true.  We have them in key location like the kitchen, living room and bathroom.   We do not break many things, but then again I only give DH plastic glasses.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I thought everyone in Italy would have Italian marble Wink
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hate-tile-floors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:397ab216-862f-4557-be53-9207e39ef7b3Post:5761d6d6-5fa3-43e4-b220-976bebfe8e82">Re: I hate tile floors.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok so now I'm definitely re-thinking tile in our kitchen.  FI laid tile in our front room and we have plans for the kitchen next.  What other options are there?  A foam floor? lol
    Posted by pinkpinot[/QUOTE]

Have you looked into cork?  My aunt and uncle have that in their kitchen and its really cool.  And I'm not 100% on this but it might be recycled.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    lol... You know Vally, we have marble edgings on the windows.  And plastic fixtures on all of our piping.  It pisses me off. 

I could put throw rugs everywhere, but this was kind of a random spot for the bottle.  Plus, because it's so damp here, they'd get moldy.  Trust me.  We have a dehum, but it only does so much.  I have to make sure the bedspread isn't touching the floor during the day because it gathers moisture under it.

The problem is that building here aren't made to retain heat, they're made to shed it.  So, it's all concrete and tile.  Add in a water heating system and you have a recipe for moisture. 
  • Options
    Agreed, someone broke a glass a few weeks ago and I found another piece of it last night.  Not to mention everytime I dust the great room I fall on my ass for weeks, wood floors are a death trap.

• Options
    Yeah, I did cork in a kitchen that I renovated once and it was *awesome*. It's not recycled, but totally eco-friendly b/c cork is a renewable resource (they strip the bark off of the trees without killing them).

I also really like old-school linoleum. Not plastic, but honest-to-goodness linoleum. If you're going for a modern or a mid-century retro feel it's awesome, and the colors and patterns are unlimited. If I renovated my current kitchen I'd put a linoleum checkerboard in there.

Wood floors are nice for kitchens too, and if they're properly sealed, they do fine in the moister environment.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hate-tile-floors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:397ab216-862f-4557-be53-9207e39ef7b3Post:fb67c218-97e6-4d41-bdde-9e6ba55da7ef">Re: I hate tile floors.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed, someone broke a glass a few weeks ago and I found another piece of it last night.  Not to mention everytime I dust the great room I fall on my ass for weeks, wood floors are a death trap.
    Posted by andressfrank[/QUOTE]

I'd guess you're using the wrong cleaner then.  It sounds like it has too much wax in it.  Our old house was wood floors all the way through and it was great.  We even had them in the kitchen.
  • Options
    You don't need area rugs, you need to wear rubber gloves for your butterfingers. :)
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    I could be.  It's just a rental house and we just moved so all I had was pledge.  I only dusted the woodwork though (like around windows/shelves/etc.) so I didn't realize so much got on the floor.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards