New York-New York City
Options

Friday v. Sunday Evening Reception

Hi everyone,We are in the process of booking a venue and have began to really consider a Friday or Sunday evening reception.  It's a big savings, and we know everyone who means anything to us will make sure they are there regardless.  Just want to take a kind of informal poll here.... The wedding will be in July of 2012.  Would you prefer to attend a Friday or Sunday night wedding?As a wedding guest I have found Friday evening weddings difficult as Friday is a work day.  On the other hand, Sunday's aren't a work day but I'm always thinking about having to wake up early for work the next day.What do you guys think??

Re: Friday v. Sunday Evening Reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Like you said, everyone who's close to you will stay til the bitter end. Some of the older folks tend to leave no matter what night you have your wedding!

I personally prefer Sunday night weddings. I'll actually be having mine on a Sunday night next year. I made sure that the night would wrap up slightly earlier than usual. My ceremony will be at the venue starting at 5:30, and everything will wind down around 11:00. Friday nights are tough because most people would have to leave work early to make the ceremony. And after a long week of work, a lot of people tend to be more tired on Fridays and less inclined for a long night of partying.
  • Options
    lisalou402lisalou402 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd prefer the sunday, but only with the reality that it wouldn't be as much as a party.
    if you're traveling, both Friday and Sunday are bad.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i have been to sunday weddings and friday weddings and strongly prefer fridays.  i usually take the day off and turn it into a three day weekend.  You can party, and have a worry free time and recover over the weekend :)  my wedding is on a friday, I have given people enough notice (over a year) so that they can plan accordingly.  good luck!
  • Options
    sushisambasushisamba member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We went through this same dilemma when planning ours and we elected to go for the Friday night.  We wanted people to stay out and have a good time, and didn't think they would be up for that on Sunday if they had to get up for work on Monday.  Our ceremony started at 7pm, so that gave people some time to get there after work.  We also got married in the summer, and we noted that a lot of our guests worked at places that had pretty flexible summer Friday hours, so they wouldn't have too many problems getting off a little early.  Also, if they did have problems leaving work, worst case is that they may miss the ceremony but would still be able to make the reception and have a good time.

Cecilia arrived 12 October 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm voting for Sunday and i'm having a Sunday night wedding as well. I changed the hours from 6-11 to 5-10. With Friday's, i'm always so tired from work and not everyone can get the day off. Also, keep in mind that with Friday's, many people may arrive late and with Sunday's, many people may leave early. I'm always dead tired from working on Friday nights and usually pass out earlier than expected lol.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    numero0unonumero0uno member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In July I think Friday is a good idea, mose poeple in the summer get off early, I just had a Friday wedding and it was cheapers for OOT guest to fly in Thursday and were able to go back home Sunday and only miss one day of work. The reception is not hard for people to make even with work because they start around 8 and most people are home by 6. they may miss your cocktail hour and not attend the church. BNut if they ware close enough with you to be at the church they can take a half of day or the whole day off. If you send save the dates out extra early most people would use a personal day to be there.

We loves the Friday wedding, the whole family got together again on Saturday to relax and have a BBQ Before me and my husband left Sunday to go on our honeymoon. It was great to have both families together again relaxing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hands down Sunday as a personal and professional opinion.  Sunday events start a bit earlier and end a bit earlier and you could always have an after-party to keep it rocking while the other guests leave at the end and still get home at a reasonable hour and go to work the next day.

Friday weddings are EXHAUSTING...if they start at 7pm (wouldn't recommend any earlier), people still leave work early to go home, change, travel.  By the time they get to the wedding, they're tired - they'll certainly rock it out, but the energy level is a bit off sometimes.  When I worked in Finance, I started work at 7am, so by the time I got to the 7pm wedding on a Friday night, I was going on 12 hours...and I never wanted to stay at the after-party b/c I was just too tired.  It was a bonus to have Saturday and Sunday to "recover" but I think people have more energy come a Sunday than a Friday.

Finally, I got married on a Sunday and went into 1.5 hours of OT b/c no one wanted to leave at 10pm!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    HI...

We are doing a Friday evening... We figured that all of our Friends / family are going to come no matter what, but at least no one works on a Saturday!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a Sunday night wedding. Ceremony in the early afternoon, and reception started around 4:30. It worked out nicely because we were done before 10 so people were able to stay to the end and everyone went home at a reasonable hour for work the next day. The only issue we had was working around the Church schedule, but if you're not getting married at a church then it won't matter as much.

As a side note, I went to a Friday night wedding this past summer and I had to take time off of work because it started at 6 and my commute was an hour home. I think with normal city traffic, it'll be hard for people not in the city to get in there (or out) on a Friday night. So that's always something to consider.
  • Options
    jayjoejayjoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer Friday night weddings. I like staying until the end and i would not do that for a Sunday wedding. It's easier to leave work an hour or two earlier on a Friday than either go in late/take off/go to work exhausted on a monday. I've been to a ton of Fri weddings but have said no to all Sunday ones :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic There's no room for you mommy! Shorry!
  • Options
    megandjaymegandjay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I prefer Friday night (btw you might make this a poll and get more answers).

I have been to both, I would much rather go out on a Friday night than on a Sunday. I would suggest after 7pm to start on Friday. If you do it on a Sunday I would suggest an afternoon reception. The one Sunday wedding I went to, more than half of the guests left right after dinner was served. People have to work the next day.

But I guess you really know your guests better- why not ask your friends and family?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    you can do sunday at 4 pm. I did this last year. Party was over at 10pm, and only 4 guests left before the end
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Go with Friday all the way.  Yes people are off work on Sundays, but Friday is so much better.  You get off work, you get to celebrate and party, and recover on Saturday.  Sunday you have to go home and wake up and go to WORK. blah.  

We're getting married on a friday night also.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My daughter is having a Friday evening wedding, we thought about Sunday, but thought it was better for people to have the rest of the weekend instead of having to go to work the next day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards