Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Announcing us

I am not changing my last name when we get married.  How should our officiant announce us after we are married?

Re: Announcing us

• Options
    You can still be announced as "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith"

Mrs. literally means "the wife of"- so if you're Jane Doe and staying Jane Doe, you are also still Mrs. John Smith.

Alternatively, if you don't like that idea just be introduced  with out last names, ie: "Please welcome, for the first time as husband and wife, Janie and John!"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3cdc10d1-a647-4f5e-b328-b0b24c72bb1bPost:06d2eb8c-5978-40fa-8544-534e0e936ae7">Re: Announcing us</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can still be announced as "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith" Mrs. literally means "the wife of"- so if you're Jane Doe and staying Jane Doe, you are also still Mrs. John Smith. Alternatively, if you don't like that idea just be introduced  with out last names, ie: <strong>"Please welcome, for the first time as husband and wife, Janie and John!"</strong>
    Posted by Knittibell[/QUOTE]

This is what we did, as I didn't change my name either. It worked out fine. Just don't be surprised when you still get cards, etc. addressed to Mrs. You Hislastname. I don't think anyone pays attention to the way you're announced, or else they wouldn't do this. ;)

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3cdc10d1-a647-4f5e-b328-b0b24c72bb1bPost:06d2eb8c-5978-40fa-8544-534e0e936ae7">Re: Announcing us</a>:
    [QUOTE] Alternatively, if you don't like that idea just be introduced  with out last names, ie: "Please welcome, for the first time as husband and wife, Janie and John!"
    Posted by Knittibell[/QUOTE]

This is what I would pick
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Momentary threadjack warning:

MrsB, Julia is so precious! I hadn't seen your sig until today. Congrats! :)

/threadjack

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options

I'm not changing my name, but we were still introduced as Mr. and Mrs. H Last Name. Not everyone knew I wasn't changing my name, and I don't mind being called Mrs. H. But if it bothers you, I like Knitti's suggestion.

• Options
    We weren't announced after our ceremony, but were introduced into our reception as "For the first time as a married couple, Jane Smith and John Doe." It was important to me to have both full names included.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith if they're not changing their last name since Mrs. John Smith wouldn't actually be their name. Though actually I can't imagine why anyone is ever introduced as Mr. and Mrs. HUSBANDSFIRST husbandslast even if they are changing their LAST name.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3cdc10d1-a647-4f5e-b328-b0b24c72bb1bPost:fa5b174e-520f-47a5-9085-e0294b856659">Re: Announcing us</a>:
    [QUOTE]We weren't announced after our ceremony, but were introduced into our reception as "For the first time as a married couple, Jane Smith and John Doe." It was important to me to have both full names included. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith if they're not changing their last name since Mrs. John Smith wouldn't actually be their name. Though actually I can't imagine why anyone is ever introduced as Mr. and Mrs. HUSBANDSFIRST husbandslast even if they are changing their LAST name.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. "For the first time as a married couple, Jane Smith and John Doe."That is the proper way.

It is not proper to introduce them as Mr. & Mrs. John Smith because that is not her last name. It is also demeaning and sexist to refer to a woman as Mrs. John Smith. She has her own identity and is not a husband's possession.
  • Options
    polichikpolichik member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3cdc10d1-a647-4f5e-b328-b0b24c72bb1bPost:fa5b174e-520f-47a5-9085-e0294b856659">Re: Announcing us</a>:
    [QUOTE]We weren't announced after our ceremony, but were introduced into our reception as "For the first time as a married couple, Jane Smith and John Doe." It was important to me to have both full names included. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith if they're not changing their last name since Mrs. John Smith wouldn't actually be their name. Though actually I can't imagine why anyone is ever introduced as Mr. and Mrs. HUSBANDSFIRST husbandslast even if they are changing their LAST name.
    Posted by tenofcups4me[/QUOTE]

I agree. I don't think it's "wrong" to be introducted as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, but I just don't get it.

ETA: Mostly because I don't know a single guy who would be comfortable being announed as "Mr. and Mrs. Jane Johnson," even if the guy was changing his name.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:3cdc10d1-a647-4f5e-b328-b0b24c72bb1bPost:d6892445-ef38-4882-9ab6-4b7676ba6a0a">Re: Announcing us</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcing us : I agree. I don't think it's "wrong" to be introducted as Mr. and Mrs. John Smith, but I just don't get it. ETA: Mostly because I don't know a single guy who would be comfortable being announed as "Mr. and Mrs. Jane Johnson," even if the guy was changing his name.
    Posted by polichik[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards