Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Good evening!

1235»

Re: Good evening!

• Options
    Well, it's been a pretty busy weekend. A lot of people had stuff to do to get ready for Mothers Day. Bay and Strlz both had weddings to go to. Muni got married today. Musu was home with her H for the first time in two weeks. I was sick so I left early. So it makes sense that the past few days have been pretty slow for Evening threads. 
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, that's true.. I feel like I haven't done much more than pop into a thread here and there with the exception of tonight. It's been kind of a busy weekend, but hopefully things will start to settle down. I still haven't decided whether I want to take something to sleep... it's midnight so I should probably decide!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm starting to feel sleepy and my throat is starting to hurt. I really hope I'm not getting sick. I've had so much cranberry juice with vitamin C. 
  • Options
    Cranberry juice is kind of acidic (I think?) so that could be why your throat hurts. Hopefully it'll feel better in the morning!
  • Options
    Ooooh - you're probably right. I didn't even think about that. I've had a lot, so it makes sense. I've switched to water for now anyways. And thanks - I hope so too.

Right now I'm just scouring the internet for a good present for my mom, dad, and FMIL. I'd like to get a small ish frame for my dad to take on his truck with him and I'd like to get a nice large frame for my mother to keep at the house. I'm thinking I'd like to get a frame for FMIL, but I don't know. FI's family is SO hard to shop for.
  • Options
    Are these for your parent gifts for the wedding? I assume the frames are for wedding pictures?
  • Options
    wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2012
    Angel - I don't think you were posting when I was on my original account (burntofferings), but I had some pretty major issues with my FI and created this AE to get some advice. I ended up sending my cancellation request from the wrong email (haha) when I thought about leaving TK, so I got stuck with my AE when I started posting again.

Anyway, we postponed our wedding because FI is in counseling for his issues, and I go with him one day per week for a couples session.

Bottom line: postponing the wedding was a great decision, because it's letting us focus on us without all of the stress of the wedding on top of it. Things are already SO much better. I'm not saying you should definitely postpone the wedding, but if you ever want to talk, you can PM me. *hugs*
  • Options
    Yes to both. I was wanting to get my mom a frame with a space for me to engrave "True family is never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart". For my dad I wanted to get either a hinge frame or a frame with two spaces for pictures. One of me as a baby and one of me in my wedding dress that says "I'll always be your little girl". Buuuut it needs to be small enough to fit in his truck. I was wanting a nice small one he can keep in his bag or something.

I don't know if I want to get a frame for FMIL. She has pictures of FSILs wedding set up in her house, so I am assuming she'd want one of ours as well. I was thinking of maybe printing a nice one of FI and FMIL and putting it in the frame. I just don't know lol. 
  • Options
    Thanks, Wrigley. I was actually lurking when you posted on the AE/current SN but I just made the connection the other day when someone linked an old thread about something and I saw a post from your old SN. We haven't made any decisions about what to do, although the ball is pretty much in my court, as he doesn't want to postpone. Not going to lie, the whole losing deposits thing kind of makes it tough to consider that option, but we'll see how things go in the coming weeks and months.

Poke, I think those sound like great ideas! What does FI think you should get his mom?
  • Options
    I haven't asked him yet. Although when I asked him what to get for his sister, BIL, and brother his response was "We don't do that in this country. We don't need to get them anything." *sigh* He's not very helpful. And like I said, his entire family is very hard to shop for. 

Also - hi Wrigley : )
  • Options
    Poke, FI isn't much help with stuff like that either. I asked him for gift ideas for his parents for Christmas last year and he was totally stumped. I was like gee, thanks. I have a feeling I'll always do all the gift shopping.
  • Options
    Yes, same here Angel. He also can't remember dates for crap. So I was talking about what I was doing for mom today and he says "Crap! I haven't gotten anything for mum!" Yes honey, that's because YOUR mothers day was in March. Silly. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_good-evening-25?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:40443690-b48d-464f-a6ea-2fdbc653ebcePost:1e40289e-98b6-494c-8c58-4fb1f0fcbe1f">Re: Good evening!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, same here Angel. He also can't remember dates for crap. So I was talking about what I was doing for mom today and he says "Crap! I haven't gotten anything for mum!" <strong>Yes honey, that's because YOUR mothers day was in March</strong>. Silly. 
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

Hahaha that's hilarious. I didn't even realize they had a different Mother's Day than us. Weird. Also, so funny that he says mum. Fun fact, in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, the Weasleys call their mother "mom" but in all future books, they call her "mum." I'm assuming that since the Sorcerer's Stone is the American version of the first book, which in the UK was the Philosopher's Stone, that's why. And if you don't read Harry Potter, I'm sure your eyes have glazed over, lol.
  • Options
    Hi Poke. :)

I'm actually going to bed pretty soon. I just wanted to pop in and say hi and hug Angel.
  • Options
    I'm actually a huge HP nerd. I freaking love it. And the reason it was only "mom" in the first book was because JK Rowling threw a fit about it. Her mother died when she was very young, and she never grew up with a mother. So it was very important to her that "mum" was used, rather than "mom".

• Options
    pokepoke27pokepoke27 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Well it was nice of you to stop by! haha
  • Options
    Ha, Poke, I didn't know that... I didn't even notice the discrepancy until I'd read through the series a few times. Was it mom in the UK version of the book or just the American?
  • Options
    Just the American. They actually changed a lot of little things so that they would make more sense to Americans. For example, in England they call a sweater a jumper. In America a jumper is a dress. The publishers thought us Americans would be confused if Mrs. Weasly knit a dress for her sons every christmas haha. 
  • Options
    Wow... interesting. I kind of want to get my hands on the British version of the books so I can see the little differences.
  • Options
    I haven't read the whole thread yet, mostly just the first page.  I just got home from work about 20 mins ago.  I hate closing and tonight was a bit worse because I was helping out at another store which closes at midnight.  

Some quick bits from what I did read of the thread. 
    Bay-Congrats on finishing the semester

Petal-I joined MFP yesterday. I don't think its going to be a problem overall, but today I fell about 500 cal short of what it says I need.  I am kinda hungry now but don't know if I should log any snack under Sunday  or Monday. Or just skip it since I'll probably head to bed before too long.  

Mica-I haven't said it yet but I love your hat, and I'm not a hat person.

Okay, off to read the rest of the thread.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    K, I'm going to try to get some sleep now. Night ladies!
  • Options
    FI got me a British set for christmas a few years ago. It's nifty lol. 

He also got me this (clicky) when it came out. It's a copy of the of the "Moonstone" edition. I believe there were 5 made - Amazon purchased one for a rediculous amount of money. It is set with real silver and moonstones and is handwritten by JK Rowling. Amazon then replicated it and made the collectors edition and sold them. 

/end nerdy bragfest
  • Options
    Goodnight Angel - I think I'm going to head off too : )
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards