Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

It's a sunny day on this fine Sunday

Finally.   I was going to be off today, but there was a pop-up trip.  Now I have to go in.  Can't complain too much because I've lost a lot of work.  I just sucks because friends are coming in for our friend's wedding and I do not have much time off to hang out with everyone.  Oh well.

Random question:   How much would/did you pay for your mattress? What size?

We have to buy all new everything and I'm just trying to see what is reasonable.   Moving is going to put us in the poor house I tell you.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: It's a sunny day on this fine Sunday

• Options
    Good morning!  It was supposed to be sunny and in 80s today.  It's gray and cloudy.  Fail.

I'm taking a lazy day to try to finally beat this cold in time for work tomorrow.  The congestion is almost gone, but it's settled in my chest and I'm coughing like crazy.  Hopefully a day of taking it easy and reading will clear this all up.

H and I are in the market for a new bed, too.  We're using my old full-size mattress (speaking of fail) and it's just too small right now.  We're forgoing birthday presents to save up for a queen-size bedset.  The lower-end up here looks like anywhere between $300 - $400 for a queen mattress and box spring.  But they go up much higher.  I tried out the softest, nicest bed ever at Macy's back last year, and the whole thing went for $2,000.  If I had a million dollars...

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    We have a queen right now and it barely works for us.  DH is 6 foot and is around 280.. A full size bed would never work for us if we wanted to stay married.   

We get a pretty good discount at work for beds.  $680 for a king size set +150 for delivery.    Not sure how good of a deal it is.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    No chance you can go and see it in person before you buy, is there?

• Options
    Well we work for a hotel company.  I think they are the same beds used there.   I should be able to look up the information and try them out.   One company is Simmons the other is Serta

• Options
    Financially it sounds like a decent price, and if you have tried them out and know that they are comfortable, I'd say go for it.

• Options
    I'm going to clean a bit and then go hiking with the kids and the dogs. Of all the things for which I thank my husband, turning me into an "outdoor girl" tops the list. I didn't even own flat shoes before I met him. Now I seek out mud and steep terrain. Apparently I've taught him a thing or two in return. The other night while watching The Daily Show, the guest came out looking wretched, and he said "whoa, time to get a stylist". So. Proud. Of. Him. We need to upgrade to a king because he's too tall for the queen and I've got the jimmy legs when I sleep. We've been putting it off for years because it's so expensive. Eta- our queen was in the $2000 range for the mattress and box spring. I would say I'd pay into the $3000 arena for a king. I don't sleep well, so having a comfortable place to sleep tops my priority list.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_its-sunny-day-this-fine-sunday?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:45404ab4-d23e-4a1b-a1f3-bdd1afb904adPost:4ef1bdb6-1dde-4521-a99b-ca7aba64e8aa">Re: It's a sunny day on this fine Sunday</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going to clean a bit and then go hiking with the kids and the dogs. Of all the things for which I thank my husband, turning me into an "outdoor girl" tops the list. I didn't even own flat shoes before I met him. Now I seek out mud and steep terrain. Apparently I've taught him a thing or two in return. The other night while watching The Daily Show, the guest came out looking wretched, and he said "whoa, time to get a stylist". So. Proud. Of. Him. We need to upgrade to a king because he's too tall for the queen and I've got the jimmy legs when I sleep. We've been putting it off for years because it's so expensive. Eta- our queen was in the $2000 range for the mattress and box spring. I would say I'd pay into the $3000 arena for a king. I don't sleep well, so having a comfortable place to sleep tops my priority list.
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]

<div>That's awesome.</div><div>
    </div><div>DH has thought me to be more experimental when it comes to food.  I still do not like spicy stuff, but I'm so much better than I use to be.</div>

• Options
    I am fighting a cold/congestion, too. I honestly can't figure out what it is. I think my body is all messed up since it has been warm in GA for a few months and the weather has been so wacky here in OH.

I am actually going to try to go to church today. I haven't been in a few weeks and feel like I need to go esp with starting my new job tomorrow and everything.

Lynda - I have no advice for a mattress. We need a new one. Ours isn't old or crappy, but too small. H is a big guy and I barely have any room. I have enjoyed having a bed all to myself for the past few nights though. I think H wants to look at either those Sleep Number or Select Comfort beds. I think I would just be happy with a king or queen size.
  • Options
    MissySue, I think it's the changing of the seasons.  Everyone seems to get sick when the weather gets warmer or cooler.  Although I'm pretty sure I caught my cold from H.  Hope you feel better soon!

• Options
    Thanks, Bay. I hope you feel better soon as well.
  • Options
    Missy - different parts of the country (or world for that matter) have different allergens. Also moving = stress. Stress = lower immune system.  Added in wacky weather, it's not surprising you are not feeling well.. I hope you get better soon. 

• Options
    Good morning. I'm waiting on FI to get off work then we're going to the pool. We both got a little burnt yesterday so I'm not sure how long we'll stay out there. It's going to be a nice day of laziness for us. 
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lynda - that is definitely true. I guess I didn't think about al that. I hope loading up on the vitamins, fruits and veggies will make me feel better fast. I just don't want it to go into anything b/c we aren't going to have insurance after the end of this month for about 30 days.
  • Options
    I'm finally just about over my cold, I think, so I've got to get some cleaning done around here today.  Our mattress is very old, but we're saving  to get a new one because we really need a whole new bedroom set. 
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Morning, ladies!

Lynda, we just bought a new mattress with our tax refund. It's a king-size memory foam (similar to TempurPedic, just a less expensive version). Before taxes and setup it was $899.
  • Options
    Good Morning!
    I have laundry started, not without H complaining that I was up too early and making too much noise, but it's started.
    I'm starting to work on my thesis and during breaks I'm going to clean the house.  My little brother is graduating from H.S. on Saturday and we have family coming into town all week.  Both H and I work all week and have busy schedules so everything has to be done tonight.  He's not happy that he's losing his normal lazy Sunday.

Lynda- I have a pillow top Queen mattress and I think my parents paid (it was a college graduation gift) $700 or $800.  I LOVE the bed, H isn't too fond of it.  We're going to probably upgrade to a King once we get a place with a bigger Master bedroom.
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I've slept on the Sleep Number beds before and I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't any more comfy than other beds.

Definitely go for the king. I wish we had when we got a new mattress last year.
  • Options
    Good morning ladies... gonna mop the laundry room here and then head over to FI's for a lazy day. Sunny and gorgeous out here, too.

Lynda - at least you've got a chance to make some money. I know you've had a lot of canceled trips lately...

I've got nothing to add to the bed discussion - FI bought a new Queen bed a few months back and I know he financed it to build a little more credit, but I don't have any idea what it cost. His twin bed just was not going to cut it for us though. haha

Ditto birdie on the Sleep Numbers, though we stayed on them in a hotel so I guess maybe they were old or worn out? Neither of us were impressed, and I actually had to call my chiro from our vacation to schedule an adjustment when I got back.

BarrelBabe - We're exactly opposite. I was try so.hard. to sleep in today. FI was up at 7:30 and called me to wish me good morning... love him for my morning calls, but sometimes I wish he let me sleep more (he's a morning person, I'm not).
  • Options
    Good morning.  I woke up with a super sore throat, and I am not pleased.  There is too much going on right now for me to get sick.  As soon as H brings the truck home I'll be on my way to help my uncle move the rest of his nursery.  So much for my lazy weekend.
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Sorry you're not feeling well adamar.

Has the news of the EHV1 horse virus reached Florida yet?  We're on voluntary quarantine right now.
  • Options
    Good morning.  It's far from sunny here today though.  H woke me up with a mocha coconut frappucino when he came home at 8 this morning, so I'm a happy girl regardless of the rain.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Morning! I just got back from grocery shopping and am planning to go sit by the pool the rest of the day.

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Well its 12 noon and H still hasn't called me yet. :(  Maybe he went to church, but I kinda sorta doubt that. I hate always calling him. I am just gonna see how long it takes him to call me.
  • Options
    good morning/afternoon ladies! I saved up and got myself a queen pillowtop mattress, I think it was a Simmons, about 3.5 years ago. It was retailed for $999 but I got it during a huge Slumberland sale so I got it for around $600. It was an amazing deal because the bed is ridiculously comfortable.

It is stormy and grey all day here. BUT Sunday feels so much better when I know I only have to work tomorrow and not go to class, so that I don't have to study right now! Woo. J and I are going to pack more today.
  • Options
    Missy- When H and I were long distance he would NEVER call me.  I just don't think it's really in their brain that calling is an improtant thing. 
    We were long distance for 3 years so we had to sit and down and talk about how it was important to me for him to call.  Especially because he worked weird hours and I never knew when he was at work or not.  It got better after that.
  • Options
    Good morning! Just got home from breakfast with my mother. She frustrated Edmund because she insisted on holding him for part of the meal when all he wanted to go was nap in his car seat.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    So is your mom gone now Ciara?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My FI works in furniture sales so I know the mark up on mattresses is somewhere near 80% - it is absolutely ridiculous!  Since he sells furniture (including mattresses) we are getting a super expensive king set for cost.  If it weren't for that, we wouldn't have even tried out the one we are ending up getting.  Good luck figuring it out!  I'm realizing what a blessing in disguise his crazy work hours are.  Without them, we wouldn't be able to afford the stuff we are getting. 

• Options
    My mother is gone! She was buying copper river salmon and then heading home. I won't have to deal with her until at least the first weekend of July now.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    Was sunny here but now there's tornado watches for a large portion of northern Illinois.

Lynda - we got a queen Beauty Rest for about a grand last summer.  I believe it's from their Sleeping on Cement line.  Oh H needed the hard mattress because of his back.  So I gave in and just started using a pillow top on my side.  Now he's decided that the mattress is not good for him and we cannot return it.  No point to this except that for a good quality queen or king, I'd expect to pay upwards of $800.  That was about the price range we kept seeing when we were looking last summer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards