Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little odd??

from a MM post..
[QUOTE]
Well, really, my husband's, but I came around to the idea once we did the math.

We're super cheap, in case you can't tell from previous posts in which I made almost everything from my wedding bouquets to my wall art for this apartment, to my own cloth bags for grocery shopping.

However, I have a deep down frugal secret. It is one that I felt was too radical to really share outside of my immediate family. But I used to read that crazy blog, you know, under1000permonth.blogspot.com.

Emily truly did some radical frugal things that I would never do. She has since pulled her blog down, but I was inspired to share my biggest frugal tip.

Here goes: We don't use much toilet paper.

Sorry it isn't more exciting. I don't ration it either. But I grew up in a house with five people, including one sister who liked to use a ton of it. It can be very expensive.

Here's how we save on this aspect of our lives and maybe save the earth a bit too. (The advice also pertains to paper towels, paper napkins, and tissues, which we have never bought in an entire year of marriage.)

1. S. has actually purposely trained his body to go #2 at work. I have written about this before as the epitome of his cheapness. It saves on water and toilet paper. Also, he prefers their flushing action to ours.

2. I have embraced family cloth.

3. We roll our own...not cigarettes, but TP rolls.

Family cloth seemed disgusting to me when I first read about it. It is basically using cloths instead of toilet paper.

I was seriously grossed out by this. But we took the leap to using handkerchiefs instead of tissues, so this was only the next step. I use reusable/washable wipes when I pee. Are you disgusted yet?

The best way to do this is to use those wipes for the bathroom and the bathroom only. And I only do it for #1 because I want to go green and save money, but I'm not crazy enough to use them for #2. That's just beyond my comfort zone.

Anyway, not using TP for pee saves a ton of TP.

But you still need toilet paper in the house. We have 3 "real" rolls still left for guests. The rest is hand-rolled.

We bought the industrial size toilet paper rolls used in work bathrooms, dorms, and restaurants. I wanted to just use the giant roll and tear off as we go, but S. said that was tacky.

I just roll it any old way to get it on the tube. ^^^ My husband will spend an hour rolling it, perfectly neatly, as though it was made in a factory.

So we roll it onto our old cardboard tubes for a huge savings over traditional Charmin and even the Great Value brand. Each giant roll is 1000 linear feet. We spent $19.00 and some odd cents on a big box at our warehouse club and estimate that it will last us for at least three years, as there are 6000 linear feet of paper in the box. It comes out to be less than $.004/linear foot.

Check out this here:
http://www.amazon.com/Charmin-Ultra-Large-Rolls-Sheets/dp/B002KHNL1Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1267571784&sr=8-2

Using quick math, I estimate that each roll has 47.6 linear feet. There are nine rolls in a package. You are getting approximately 429 linear feet in the package and getting 4 packages for a total of 1716 linear feet. And this costs about $29.98.

I'm getting 3.5 times as much for $10 less. I'll save my $10, plus the cost of buying that package 3.5 more times for a total savings of $114.93.

I have since found the big rolls to be much cheaper online, and will try that next as far as industrial toilet paper is concerned.

I also step on the cardboard tubes and flatten them ^^^^ so they don't spin around as easily, therefore, reducing the amount of toilet paper you take. (Haven't we all just grabbed the end of the paper and gave it a huge spin at one time?)

It is a great solution for us. I realize this may be taking frugality too far. And if that's the case, you may want to skip over the upcoming post where we buy a lifetime's supply of aluminum foil. ;)
[/QUOTE]

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is a little odd??

• Options
    oh... and one poster says  her husband trained himself to go #2 at work.  It saves money on TP and water....

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I'm slightly boggled, but not weirded out.

I lived in India for half a year, and they don't have toilet paper. Like, at all. Splash water with your left hand, eat with your right. You get used to it.

Honestly, when we buy a house, I want a bidet in it.
  • Options
    Oh. Dear. God.
  • Options
    I've heard of family cloth and think it is gross.

When people have ideas like this, I just think... my TIME is valuable too, you know. I don't think I can deal with constantly rolling my own toilet paper just to save $114 over 3 years.  But I bet she buys generic ketchup too. Again, not something I can do myself!
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    This is hilarious. This is my FI to a T. He too would only go at work. Instead of buy those large roles, he would take them from places when he was in college and stuff them in his backpack. No flushing for #1. He worked it out that it cost about half a cent to flush.

He has recently gotten better. But he came home with 2,000 sq ft of toilet paper a few months ago with all the calculations of how much he could save and how much it costs per use, etc. He lives alone now so he actually gave away roles of toilet paper for Christmas.
  • Options
    By the way, lynda, up until this moment I thought this was you talking, not quoting. Ha!
  • Options
    I kinda want to throw up a little now...I don't even like using the toilet after my FI sometimes, let alone his "cloth".

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_am-only-one-thinks-this-little-odd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:466b3eb8-52d4-4989-82e2-018a2459d5a3Post:d90c93f1-1af6-47d7-920c-aba01fa63b15">Re: Am I the only one who thinks this is a little odd??</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is hilarious. This is my FI to a T. He too would only go at work. Instead of buy those large roles, he would take them from places when he was in college and stuff them in his backpack. No flushing for #1. He worked it out that it cost about half a cent to flush. He has recently gotten better. But he came home with 2,000 sq ft of toilet paper a few months ago with all the calculations of how much he could save and how much it costs per use, etc. He lives alone now so he actually gave away roles of toilet paper for Christmas.
    Posted by LesaBear[/QUOTE]

There are lot of people down here who do not flush for #1.  I use to before DH moved in.  Every flush is 9 cents a gallon. 

I'm alll for saving money.. But TP is not a huge yearly expense in my family to even bother saving.

Actually washing the family cloth would cost more money then using TP.

• Options
    In case it wasn't apparent, yes I think this is weird. FI would say that self-rolling the toilet paper is a waste based on cost benefit analysis.
  • Options
    Yeah, freaky.  The part about training yourself to poop only at work is what gets me.  I mean, outside of just being cheap, that's tacky.  

Frugal is good.  This is taking it too far.
  • Options
    Lynda, until I saw poli's post I thought you were posting too, not quoting. And the whole time I'm reading it I'm trying to figure out wth you've been smoking
  • Options
    omg... my stomach started turning with the "we roll our own.." bit... I agree with Mery, time is worth more than money... yikes!
    Photobucket
  • Options

I think i know this chick. Is she from Austin? My friend S's best friend M has gone to using felt squares for TP. They also use cloth diapers (which isn't so strange) but I had not heard of the rolling your own tp. S's husband no longer wants to go to M's house because he's afraid he'll have to go to the restroom and use the "family cloth".

If I had to wipe with that tree bark industrial stuff, I'd go #2 at work too!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I took a break from homework for a minute, and came here in search of amusement. This is not the amusement I had hoped for.
    I am going to back away slowly, and go back to my homework.

• Options
    Hmm, when I calculate the amount of time I would have to spend "rolling my own," versus what I can make tutoring per hour, Charmin wins out every. single. time. Don't get me wrong, I save when I can by capturing the water in my shower as the water heats up and using that to flush. But that's a little too far out there.
  • Options
    I've never heard of "family cloth" before, but it's pretty much what my best friend does with cloth diapering her son.  She uses washcloths that are solely for his diapering, sprays them with a safe soapy solution, uses cloth diapers, and washes everything obviously.  I guess it's like that but for adults.  I think it's a little extreme and I wouldn't do it, but I'm sure there are crazier cost saving and environment saving measures going on in the world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards