Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

PW: More effin' birth control

I think I'm going to get off my BC.  I honestly never put 2 and 2 together that I didn't go nuts/get depressed until I got on the pill a few years ago.  I've just been living feeling like ass, not understand that it's probably due to my BC. 

I want to just get off all pills all together, and use condoms.  I asked FI and at first he was all 'Hell no!" but then when I said "Well, wouldn't you rather have me be happy fun girl that you first dated and use condoms?"  That changed his mind.

Anybody else given up on the pill?  I want to be happy fun girl again.  It's been WAY too long.

Re: PW: More effin' birth control

• Options
    Talk to your doctor and try a different brand.  I had all kinds of problems on a few different brands and then they put me on the one I'm on now and it works wonderful.
  • Options
    I stopped taking the pill over a year ago. We've had no problems..
  • Options
    I gave up on it about a year and a half ago. It was the 3rd type I had been on and all had made me anxious, gain weight, and had given me mood swings. Plus, DH was deployed and I didn't feel the need for it. I never went back on it and we just use condoms. It's not a problem for us.
  • Options
    I probably should try something else before I give up entirely.  Before this, I was on the patch (which was gross, m'kay?).  

I think we're going to TTC by next fall, though...
  • Options
    ggmaeggmae member
    First Comment
    edited December 2009
    I've thought about the possibility of going on a different BC and trying it out for a while, but what we are doing is working out just fine. I am also in the market for a new gyno (my old one made me uncomfortable) and so once I find a new one, I'll ask them about options.
  • Options
    I had those sorts of issues (depression etc.) with the ring.  Ugh.  Sorry you're going through this! 

But now I have the copper, non-hormonal IUD, and I love not having to worry about taking the pill every day and remembering to bring the pack when I travel.  And DH and I have always hated condoms, so that's just not an option for us. 
  • Options
    Yea, I went off because it made me gain weight and I just didn't like it. Also, it got expensive...I guess I could've seen about another type of BC but we didn't want to bother with it and we're doing fine as we are..
  • Options
    I went off it once we got married.  I've been on it for almost 10 years, and I hate taking it.

I'm sort of in the mind set of "ehh, whatever happens, happens" however, we still use condoms.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I've had several different pills, and some have obvious effects, others do not.  Talk to your gyn & see if they recommend trying something else.  condoms are more of a hassle than the pill, IMO. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Ive been off for 4 months now and I am now seeing all the effects it had on me. My mind is clear and my cholesterol is no longer at 280. I tried 3 different pills, the patch, and the ring. I lived the ring the best for the convenience, but truly, condoms are not really inconvenient for us. I am just so afraid one will break.

The only thing is that cramps are worse now, like when I was 12 or something, but exercise seems to help. My skin is finally making peace with being off BC, though, so I'm kind of liking it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I take back my recommendation for the IUD, since you'll start TTC soon.  Reading FAIL. 

So I'd say that if you're good with condoms, then that's the way to go.  It took my body alomst a year to figure out how to run its hormones on its own after I stopped taking the pill, so if you want to TTC, then non-hormonal barriers are the way to go. 

PS - I'm not a doc, so definitely ditto pp on talking to one. 
  • Options
    I just went off the pill a few months ago. I was on the patch and 2 different kinds of the pill. The patch was god awful, the pill wasn't bad, I guess I just wanted to see what life would be like without medication, particularly since we use condoms every time anyway. So I'm no help there, since H has nothing to compare it to, neither of us have ever had sex sans-condom (seems weird, but oh well, no babies yet). I was all excited, because I gained a lot of weight on BC and also felt a little "crazy," but so far not a single thing has changed. It's only been about 3 months, but no weight gain or loss, no change in temperament, no change whatsoever in menstruation. So I'm not much help in general, since I know a lot of other people experience terrible or wonderful changes after quitting the BC.  Good luck whatever you decide!
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pw-effin-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:4c518368-1eca-4f9e-9a6b-9097a3cf63bbPost:12df3838-0705-4135-bff6-b9a2dc94bfa8">Re: PW: More effin' birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've had several different pills, and some have obvious effects, others do not.  Talk to your gyn & see if they recommend trying something else.  condoms are more of a hassle than the pill, IMO. 
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

See, I think that taking the pill each day is more of a hassle than using a condom. I know that people can get caught up in the moment and forget to use one, but DH and I never have. It's an endless debate though - to each their own. :)
  • Options
    Ive got an appointment in Feb, so I'll chat with her then.  Thanks for the input (as always) :)
  • Options
    I agree GG, and I also just realized I lied. H and I have had sex once without a condom, and I got the morning after pill the next day, so I do have something to compare it to. Condoms have just never bothered either one of us I guess. Better than a baby I can't afford I guess, at leat IMO.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    As good as bc can be, I think the hormones are just so difficult to deal with.  Sure, you can try to find a pill that works for you, but it's a pain in the ass and it could take you a year to find something that doesn't make you feel like shiit.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but have you looked into charting?  That combined with condoms can really put your mind at ease and the familiarity with your body will only help when you ttc.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I just took a break for the first time in 2 years straight. BC was supposed to help with pain, but wasn't. I am still debating if I will start again next month. I have tried 2 kinds. Both made me gain weight, and I had mood swings. I have been really happy lately, and I just figured out that it's because I'm off those damn pills.
  • Options
    Mag - Same for us. We aren't trying, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did get pg. We could make it work. We have a plan and will stick to that as best as we can, but also have back up plans as well just in case. :)
  • Options
    Mag - Wow, she's grown quickly. That's great to hear! What are babylegs?
  • Options
    I think they are totally useful! And cute. I like how they can be paired with shorts - that way, she can wear her clothes all-year round!
  • Options
    I really don't think charting would work for me, although I'd be willing to give it a shot.  Even before I was on BC I had really irregular periods, though. 
  • Options
    I went off the pill almost a year ago.  I had been on 6 different pills and the ring.  I feel SO much better.  In just about every conceivable way.  Condoms can be a hassle, but it was very much worth it for us.
  • Options
    I went off the pill some four years ago, and never been happier about my decision. I never had any depression due to my pills but my PMS was horrible, I would cry if I saw a kid happy in the park. My liver results went back to normal when I got off of it too. This was the main reason why I decided to get off the pill.  Luckily for me FI likes using condoms and not having to worry.  I have also always been super regular, so nothing changed once I got off the pill. I just feel better knowing that I am not adding some hormones that I have no idea what they will really do with my body.
  • Options
    kiki - charting can work for ANYONE.  It actually takes the guessing out of your cycle because you see what your body is doing.  I'll totally mail you my copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility if you want.  I got it cheap on ebay, but I really don't need it laying around.

• Options
    Oh, and btw, we got pg our first cycle trying and my body was all messed up from a procedure I had about a week into it.  But charting helped take the guess work out.  I usually had pretty irregular cycles before bc, but I had been on it so long, I really don't remember exactly what it was like.

• Options
    I can just imagine Fi's face if he saw that, sucrets!  haha.  Might be worth it.  I'll let you know what I decide to do.
  • Options
    There's a whole section on avoiding.  It's really not a "let's get knocked up" book - it's more about learning about your body.

• Options
    kiki, I was pretty irregular too before going on the pill. I went off last summer for 6 months and did not get my period once in that six months, my skin exploded (pimple city), and I gained quite a bit of weight (but that could also be poor eating and being lazy). Once I went back on the pill my periods started and im happy once more.

Im pro birth control, but ive never ever had a problem with my pill. LoEstrin. Ive been on it for.. 8 years.
  • Options
    I think it all comes down to... talk to my doctor :)  She's awesome and I know she'll give me 80 different pills if that's what I want.  I hate the idea of condoms, honestly, cause... it's just not fun.  And my BC is really cheap ($10/month) so that's not an issue. 

I do love the pill for the regular periods (even better, the 4 times a year periods).  Bah, being a woman is a PITA sometimes.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat. It took me five years to figure out that when I got maniacally depressed when I was 17 it was just after I started BC. I'm pissed that I never figured it out but I'm more pissed no one warned me and when I went to the Dr. for depression they didn't ask if the meds were new. I haven't stopped BC yet but I'm going to after the holidays to see how I feel. If I notice a difference I'm getting an IUD.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards