Wedding Etiquette Forum

Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)

My FI and I are talking about the bouquet/garter toss. He is very traditional and has never even considered that they wouldn't be part of the reception. I, however, think they're awful for many reasons. 

So, tell me your stories. He needs to think about it, so maybe your wisdom will help us come to a decision.

Did you do a garter/bouquet toss? How did it go?
Any horror stories from weddings you've attended?
Did you decide to do something to replace this tradition?

Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)

• We didn't do them.  I hate them.  DH didn't care.

We didn't replace it with anything...people have 'replaced' it with the anniversary dance, but I've seen those done independently of the bouquet/garter thing.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • we're not doing them, but i've never been to a wedding that didn't have them.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're not doing them.  I think the garter toss is icky and the bouquet toss is mildly humiliating.

I've been to several weddings without them and nobody even noticed.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • The bouquet/garter tosses are definitely NMS. Instead we did an anniversary dance where all the couples were asked to get up for a slow dance.

One by one, the emcee/DJ would ask the couples to sit down based on being married for 1 year, 5 years, more than 10, and so on, and the last couple standing got a "toss bouquet" (mini version of bridal bouquet that many florists provide for free). And there's always the laugh where the DJ will say, "Any couple who's been married for less than an hour, please be seated," and the B&G have to go sit down.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • We did them.
    The bouquet toss went really great. I told the Dj to tell all ladies (single and married) to participate and that they all needed to make a wish. If the bouquet was caught their wish was granted. Then I had tied about 12 mini bouquets into a big one, pulled a ribbon and let fly. My favorite pictures are the little girls running around picking them up and handing them to the older ladies

I really wish we didn't do the garter toss. About 10 minutes before we did it I just got really grossed out by the whole concept of someone else grabbing something that had been on my leg for the last 2 hours. The guys had fun with it and we got some great pictures, but if I replanned it would not be happening.
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    i've always thought they were fun. if your guests won't enjoy it, tell your FI to let it go and don't do them. if he really wants to include one of those and you don't have many single friends who would enjoy it, you could have a break-away toss bouquet and toss it to ALL the women, single or not. then it would split into a few pieces and a few of them will have pretty flowers to take home.
  • we didn't do them.  I didn't want nick up in my dress in front of people and i always hated the bouquet toss.

Instead we did the anniversary dance and whoever was married the longest got the flowers.
    Photobucket
  • Does anyone have the youtube link from Garter-Gate that was on here last year?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:9a335c9a-1ea5-4dd9-83b0-a8d922c01a58">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have the youtube link from Garter-Gate that was on here last year?
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Oh barf, I gagged just thinking about it. I would have no idea how to find it. It was definitely before the format changeover.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:790808c6-3ec2-4170-be85-adab6847a145">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : Oh barf, I gagged just thinking about it. I would have no idea how to find it. It was definitely before the format changeover.
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

i believe the bride removed it.  she was from the south florida/aa boards and didn't post here, so i don't  remember her name. that was pure gold, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:496431cb-06b4-4931-aea7-02a657f10c32">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : i believe the bride removed it.  she was from the south florida/aa boards and didn't post here, so i don't  remember her name. that was pure gold, though.
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

Cliffs? I missed this debacle. Or is it one of those, "you had to be there to get it" kind of things?
  • We did them and everyone enjoyed it. I've never been to a wedding that didn't have them though. It's pretty common among my friends and family so it's pretty much expected it's going to happen.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:d56ea079-0b65-4baa-a480-9413124d23ca">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : Cliffs? I missed this debacle. Or is it one of those, "you had to be there to get it" kind of things?
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

OHMIGOD Megs!

This girl posted this video that was 'so hilarious' and basically looked like her H was eating her out.  In front of grandma.

Ick.

A big fight ensued, it was great times.

• edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:d56ea079-0b65-4baa-a480-9413124d23ca">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : Cliffs? I missed this debacle. Or is it one of those, "you had to be there to get it" kind of things?

It was basically like the groom performing cunnilingus on the bride in front of everyone, to this "sexy" music, and her spazzing out like it was the best thing ever. And then she AW'd the youtube video of it on some board here.

ETA: Jinx Sucrets! Dirty, dirty jinx. I need a shower now.

• Wait, she posted her OWN garter video? Not just a link to a funny video? How idd I miss all this fun??!!!
  • And yes, I think my excessive use of punctuation is completely necessary in this case.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:8d915597-cdd6-484e-9b62-1a057e0a9fc5">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wait, she posted her OWN garter video? Not just a link to a funny video? How idd I miss all this fun??!!!

no, she was proud of the vid and posted it on SFL and AA. it resulted in board wars. good times.
  • Yes!  It was a YouTube vid of her wedding and apparently she thought it was the funniest thing ever.

There was also a debate over whether we could see her underwear or not, but it was decided that it was a 2nd garter and not her naughty bits.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:c4ad59a8-146b-4879-9d9f-7e15ed012497">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]And yes, I think my excessive use of punctuation is completely necessary in this case.

I completely support the extraneous punctuation in this instance.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:56c5806d-d612-4b54-892d-373cb64dd507">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : It was basically like the groom performing cunnilingus on the bride in front of everyone, to this "sexy" music, and her spazzing out like it was the best thing ever. And then she AW'd the youtube video of it on some board here. ETA: Jinx Sucrets! Dirty, dirty jinx. I need a shower now.

Why are we surprised at this by now?  Twin.

• At my aunt's step-daughter's reception...I had zero intention of going up there for the bouquet toss.  My aunt grabbed the mike from the band leader and paged me to the dance floor.  Completely mortifying.

Hate them. Vehemently.

However, the anniversary dance idea...I like way better.
  • oh.good.god.

Katiepoppy, can you find the link for us? Pretty please?
  • maggy - at my moh's wedding (before mine), they did the bouquet toss and my friends ordered that I go up there.  I was the only 'single' one of the bunch, but dating DH at the time. 

I hated them for it.

• Do not attempt to find it by searching youtube for "extreme" or "sexy" garter toss...*shudders*

It also makes me really sad that the top youtube videos right now are the block party riots at my old college. Seriously students? The annual block party does not need to end with 35 felony charges for assaulting officers and tear gas. It makes me not want to put my college on my resume, I feel like we lost a lot of cred in the professional world :(
  • We didn't do either a bouquet toss or a garter toss, though my focking pushing MIL had a COW when I told her I had neither a garter nor a toss bouquet, so it wasn't happening. She tried to get me to toss my own flowers! Gah.

She was the only one that missed it :) All my single friends later were thanking me for not having it. And DH was faaar too embarassed to do the garter toss.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:6fd48af4-2816-4210-9cfc-1f435ba2b05d">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : Why are we surprised at this by now?  Twin.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

NO, it's because we're clearly on an OB together, duh!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:b205739f-7346-410d-9af2-1c395ee44be3">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : NO, it's because we're clearly on an OB together, duh!

zomg, I forgot about that.  Duh.

And shhhhhhh.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:b205739f-7346-410d-9af2-1c395ee44be3">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : NO, it's because we're clearly on an OB together, duh!

your ob should merge with the ob the nc trifecta and i have.
  • I'm on the fence too. Apparently in Las Vegas (where I"m doing my wedding), everyone (married or not) participates. The part that scares me is the garter, although my FI swears he'll be tasteful with it. I think it's gross though. :(
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_tell-stories-bouquetgarter-toss?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:50681150-1823-4e2a-92d2-48cee3311182Post:deff3dff-89ea-43b6-8d32-d8518b3a44f9">Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tell me your stories! (Bouquet/Garter Toss) : your ob should merge with the ob the nc trifecta and i have.
    Posted by SarahSmile23[/QUOTE]

Meh, can you be trusted? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards