New York-New York City
Options

Waxing....

Ok, I'm a newbie when it comes to the whole 'waxing thing'...but thought this might be the best place to get rec's for a great wax(er) in NYC. I am thinking of just starting out with a regular ole bikini wax, and eventually moving up to a Brazilian..if I can tolerate it. So...if any of your have a favorite spot in the city - let me know! Also, if you have any tips on how to go about handling my first visit, that would be great too! I'm a little nervous!

Re: Waxing....

• Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to a salon locally in SI. My FSIL goes to one of the Bliss Spa locations.  I'm sure other girls will have city recs.

But regarding tips, I'm going to be honest with you, the first 2 times hurt like a b!tch. But I think the benefits outweigh the pain so I've been going 3-4 years. Mine is barely a 10 minute process for a brazilian so it goes by quick.
    From what I've heard, if you are new to it, to take tylenol or other asprins prior before your appt.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-york-new-york-city_waxing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:114Discussion:b03124ed-4826-4c4b-96f5-0693a8f2c3baPost:be0a9887-5b83-4e71-9739-be66fc2f67f3">Re: Waxing....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I go to a salon locally in SI.
    Posted by Lola Minnie[/QUOTE]
    Lola - where do you go on SI?
    Helene (Nova726)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The salon was called Vis a Vis on Hylan (about across the street from the Excelsior Grand).

It is now called Touche Salon, but with a majority of the same people.  I go to Anna Red. Their # is 718.351.9700
  • Options
    MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Go to Bliss!  Any of the locations, they all use the same wax.  it is a special wax that doesn't need linen strips (the wax just hardens and they rip it off).  I t only attaches to the hair, not the skin, so it hurts MUCH less than regular wax.  It is the ONLY place I will go for my brazilian, and friends that I have recommnded go to Bliss tell me they will never go to a normal salon again.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bliss or J. Sisters.... they are more expensive than some other salons, but this is an area you definitely don't want to skimp on.
  • Options
    nfguthrienfguthrie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I go to Shobha (shobhathreading.com), they do waxing and sugaring (which is supposedly less painful; I've never done it) and have 3 locations in Manhattan.  Cost is about $60 and they have a strict no double dipping policy.  Def. take advil about thirty minutes before and, as PP said, it's not fun, but it goes by pretty quickly.
  • Options
    jbwed1jbwed1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm very nervous about doing this...but figure I need to sort of get over it! Thanks for the advice...Is there any 'prep' that should happen prior to the appointment (I have heard of creams that you can apply that help with pain...definitley will be taking Tylenol :), and how long should I go without shaving, etc? (Gross...sorry, but I have no idea!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bliss for sure! Specifically, I love Chloe at the 57th Street location. She was recommended to me by a friend and she lived up to the hype. Her technique is gentle and quick.

I get nervous beforehand as well, but it really is not that bad. The waxers at Bliss have always recommended a glass of wine to help you relax beforehand, but I have never personally tried that .

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    esuvakesuvak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend Shoba - I used to go monthly for a Brazilian and I thought they were great.  It does hurt at first, but it's over pretty quickly.  I never took Tylenol, but I heard that's recommended.  Also, don't go within a week on either side of your period (or during, obviously) as your skin is more sensitive at that time and there's greater chance that your skin could react afterwards (little red bumps).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haven (in Soho) or their sister spa, Eve in the west village.  I've been going to Haven for 10 years and they do a great job and it's pretty reasonable- I think it comes out to about $42 with tax for a brazilian..  regular bikini waxes are much less and they're pretty thorough.  I just use the regular wax and have never had a problem, but they do offer a more sensitive wax.. it costs a bit more.  It's a lovely, clean spa.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I heart Max Wax on the UWS.  It is on 74th Street.  I used to live in the 90s, but have since moved to Astoria.  I STILL go there to get waxed.  Love it that much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use a product called No Scream Cream about 45 minutes before I go...it definitely helps, and I go with Advil also!

Not that there's any real screaming invovled! lol...you will LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the results, and so will your partner!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same boat having never been waxed before. My wedding is in December, and I wanted to make sure I could handle it so I started going in February. I went to Bliss 57. I can't say it was pleasent, but it was much less terrible than I imagined.
    I attempted to get this done 5 or so years ago at the salon where I get my hair cut and it was HORRIBLE. I was scared off of waxing from that experience.

Seriously, Bliss 57. I see Sara. She's amaizing. Get the betweeny. Not just the sides, not as much as brazillian. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards