Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?

Im on a very tight budget and Id like to get a limo for my FH and I to drive around with the wedding party for about an hour before the reception as kind of an intimate "we all worked hard and pulled it off!" celebration. Is it bad to ask them to all equally pitch in for the cost or would that be ok? it would be about 37 per person.I think they might be excited about it and would gladly pitch in but I wanted to ask opinions before I brought it up to any of them.
Heather & Michael

Re: Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?

• Options
    Don't ask the wedding party. It's very rude. If I was a bridesmaid and the bride asked me to pitch in for her limo I would roll my eyes hard.

Get what you can afford. If you can't afford a limo, don't get one. If you still reallllllly want to have a limo, cut back in another area and pay for it yourself.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want a limo, you're gonna have to pony up the dough.  Sorry.

• Options
    I think if you want it you need to pay for it. I also don't really understand wanting to drive around in a limo for an hour. Maybe it's just me but I would think the time could be better spent relaxing with everyone and maybe some drinks. I also think the only ones that need to work hard for your wedding are you and FI.
  • Options
    Ditto everyone else.  Anything you and FI want is up to you and FI to pay for.  that is no different than telling your bridal party you want them to split the cost of your cake or flowers, etc.  Your limo, your bill.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-party-pitching-limo-ok-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:53eb25e0-5394-4812-b8bb-c754babe68d9Post:9b646409-8a59-4ca4-8f1d-677e579b15d4">Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im on a very tight budget and Id like to get a limo for my FH and I to drive around with the wedding party for about an hour before the reception as kind of an intimate "we all worked hard and pulled it off!" celebration. Is it bad to ask them to all equally pitch in for the cost or would that be ok? it would be about 37 per person.I think they might be excited about it and would gladly pitch in but I wanted to ask opinions before I brought it up to any of them.
    Posted by boogiesnot[/QUOTE]
    <p> </p><p>Where's the 'hell to the effing no!' option?</p><p>I vote for that one.</p><p> </p><p>If you can't afford a limo, make do with regular cars. Your bridal party are already going to expense to be a part of your wedding without being expected to cover completely unnecessary extras. If someone offers to pay, that's fine- but until that point, you should make other plans or find the extra $'s to cover the expense yourself.</p>
  • Options
    Umm...no! I have 2 friends getting married this year that I am a bridesmaid and MOH in, and my other friends have those weddings and mine to go to- imagine if we all wanted them to chip in $37 for each of those weddings just to ride around in a limo! That's not ok- they're already spending a lot of money on you- the dress, possibly shoes, gift, etc. Don't ask them to pay more for something unnecessary. It's your wedding, not theirs.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Options
    By the way, if you're on such a tight budget, you should understand the value of a dollar and realize that this is silly.
    Planning Bio

Our wedding date is November 12, 2011

110 invited 86 accepted! 20 can't make it 4 haven't responded yet
    RSVP Date October 12th, 2011

• Options
    Driving around in a limo for an hour, just because, when I'm all dressed up sounds like the suck to me. Limos aren't that comfortable, especially when all dressed up, and I would be quite peeved if someone asked me to do it. And then asking me to pay for it on top of all that? Yeah, no. Bad idea all around.
  • Options
    Why don't you just go straight to the reception and celebrate instead of making your guests stand around waiting for you to burn $4/gal gas doing circles in a rented car.

• Options
    I don't understand how driving around for an hour in a limo could be considered a fun time. Especially all dressed up. If you want to celebrate see if your venue has a small room for you all to go to and drink and eat there. Although I personally think you should be spending that time with your guests enjoying the party. MIA WPs piss me off. Especially if there's no true reason for it.

I once witnessed a group of about 140 guests wait around for a B&G to return from their carriage ride, which took close to 2 hours, with nothing but soda to tide them over. Meanwhile, the WP raided the B&G room and drank all the champagne and ate all the food they ordered instead of mingling with the guests. Terrible planning IMO.
  • Options
    So not okay.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    Speaking from experience as a former WP member...by the time your WP is done having hair and makeup done, and standing during your ceremony, the only thing on their minds is going to be getting something to eat and drink.  They're not going to care if it's in a limo or in the reception hall during cocktail hour.  If I were a WP member and the B&G asked me to pay towards the limo, I would not only decline, I would make sure I had my own transportation to the reception so I didn't have to take the limo.

Do what you can afford.  My H and I didn't even use transportation, since the reception hall was less than 100 feet from our church.  The walk to the reception hall after the wedding was so much fun, with everyone laughing and talking and so excited.  Limos aren't the end-all, be-all for weddings.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    b0710b0710 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I personally don't think that anyone will miss it. If you want some down time after the ceremony, is there a room you and the BP can get away to and have some drinks together?  Otherwise, I think you have to skip the limo or find a way to pay for it by yourselves.
  • Options
    I'm going to echo the "hell to the NO". 

If you cannot afford it, then you don't get it.  Period. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Limos are fun and fancy, but just like other parts of your wedding, it isn't OK to ask your WP or guests to help pitch in to pay.  You wouldn't ask guests to help pay for cake or chairs at the ceremony. 

Can you cut back on a different are to pay for the limo?  (Fewer flowers or skip the aisle runner and special toasting flutes?)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Who the heck voted yes?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-party-pitching-limo-ok-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:53eb25e0-5394-4812-b8bb-c754babe68d9Post:5b00bd40-bf15-409a-b0a7-e5b277ec48a2">Re: Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who the heck voted yes?
    Posted by strlzfan11[/QUOTE]

OP?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely not ok. If this is something that is important to you, then you need to pay. But I would not, as a member of the WP, want to ride around in a limo for an hour. It's really not that fun. Also, you are keeping your other guests waiting, which is really kind of rude. My FI was in a wedding where the WP did this. I had to drive myself to the reception and then all the guests had to wait the hour of their "joy ride" AND wait for them to take pictures. It was beyond rude. Just let your WP go straight to the reception. Maybe have a quick toast for them, or just you and your FI, before you go in. 
  • Options
    Ack.  Please don't do this.  I am in a wedding this summer and have already been told it is likely that the WP will be asked to chip in for our ride from the ceremony to the reception.  Most of the WP was thrilled at the idea - why, I have no idea.  I'd rather spend that money on a gift for the B&G or, you know, anything else I need to pay for in my life.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-party-pitching-limo-ok-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:53eb25e0-5394-4812-b8bb-c754babe68d9Post:3356d180-85c9-4491-8dd2-8d88270e5a5e">Re: Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why don't you just go straight to the reception and celebrate instead of making your guests stand around waiting for you to burn $4/gal gas doing circles in a rented car.
    Posted by SparrowSong[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I'd be pretty pissed if I was your guest, and had to sit around waiting for you while you played around in a silly limo, just because you think you can because you're the bride.  Not sure which is ruder, doing it or asking your WP to pay for it.
  • Options
    I can see why it may be a neat thing to ride around in a limo for a little while and have some drinks.  I dont think I would even mind pitching in.  However, I dont think I would want to do it in between the ceremony and the reception.  That seems like you are only doing it so you can have the limo and since you can't afford it you are disguising it as this.  Maybe you aren't but that is what I would think.
    My Planning Bio **Updated 7/26/11**
    126image 99image 25image 2image
    RSVP Date August 27
  • Options

If I were your bridesmaid, and I was asked to pitch in money for a limo (when I'd be perfectly happy driving myself around) after I'd already paid for my dress, shoes, hair, makeup, wedding shower/wedding gifts, and whatever else I needed to pitch in for - I'd be pretty pissed.

Get what you can afford. Why not just have a private moment with your WP just before your enterance into the reception, a quick "yay we pulled it off" drink. That way you're also not making your guests wait an hour while you drive around.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Limo's aren't NEARLY as fun or "romantic" as they seem, you can thank the movie industry for that myth. 

Skip it and enjoy your "hard earned hour" at your party. 
  • Options
    This is a strange idea. Why would you want to keep your guests and your wedding party's dates waiting for an hour while you drove around? And you should thank them for being in the bridal party-- by buying THEM a gift, not asking them to buy you a gift.

Skip the limo altogether. It's rude to keep the guests waiting. Just go to your reception.

PS- my DH and I had a limo take us around to take photos before the ceremony. It was the two of us and the photographer, and it was uncomfortable to sit in there in my wedding dress for all that time! Couldn't lean back or my hair would get messed up, my dress was all wrinkly...just bad idea. We got wonderful photos and luckily had time to steam my dress before the ceremony, but I can't imagine sitting in that limo driving around for a solid hour. Yuck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-party-pitching-limo-ok-not?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:53eb25e0-5394-4812-b8bb-c754babe68d9Post:2577e941-9229-47d2-b643-be0d01f95ab0">Re: Wedding party pitching in on limo? ok or not?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is a strange idea. <strong>Why would you want to keep your guests and your wedding party's dates waiting for an hour while you drove around? And you should thank them for being in the bridal party-- by buying THEM a gift, not asking them to buy you a gift.</strong> Skip the limo altogether. It's rude to keep the guests waiting. Just go to your reception. PS- my DH and I had a limo take us around to take photos before the ceremony. It was the two of us and the photographer, and it was uncomfortable to sit in there in my wedding dress for all that time! Couldn't lean back or my hair would get messed up, my dress was all wrinkly...just bad idea. We got wonderful photos and luckily had time to steam my dress before the ceremony, but I can't imagine sitting in that limo driving around for a solid hour. Yuck.
    Posted by LuluP82[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Idk if I'd really want to put in more money for your wedding if I was already standing up for you, buying a dress, getting all dolled up. I thought my job would be done after the ceremony so I could let loose and paaaarrty at the reception. As nice as some limos can be, I don't know if I'd want to miss out on anything at the reception like catching up with friends or eating (because that's something i'm good at) - would all the people have their dates in the limo too? Man.. I do like driving around but I just don't know if I would want to drive around looking so pretty (like PP said, I'd be afraid to ruin my hair or wrinkle my dress since I know photos would be happening all night)

</div>
  • Options
    Wow...really?  Were you high when you thought this would be even remotely okay? 

Let me put it this way...if I were your bridesmaid, and already spent $100+ on a dress and you asked me to pitch in to a limo (which I think are an incredible waste of time and money, especially when you can't actually afford one), I'd laugh in your face and tell you "Nope, I'll drive my own car...thanks".  Then I'd probably get you a card with $37 and that would be the only wedding present you'd receive from me.

Anniversary
  • Options
    HELL NO.  That's ridiculous.  This is not the prom, it is YOUR wedding.  If you asked me to chip in for the limo it would be coming out of your wedding gift (if you got one at all).
  • Options
    Limos are not necessary at a wedding.   If it's not in your budget to have a limo for your wedding party, don't ask them to pay for it.  Just don't have one.  Find another way to get to your reception.
  • Options
    Sorry I say absolutely no.  I would be so insulted if a bride asked me to fund her day.
  • Options
     To be asked to pay for your party on top of everything else just comes across as unbelievably rude and unappreciative of your friends, especially when you've apparently put them to work already on your party.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards