Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Transition from ceremony to reception... HELP!

We are having our wedding in Louisville, Kentucky which is considered an out-of-town-wedding for over 95% of our guests. Our ceremony will start at 1:00 or 1:30, which could be akward for most guests as they will be traveling that morning from Cincinnati which is a two hour drive... my main concern with the ceremony being so early in the day is the gap between the time the ceremony ends and the time the cocktail hour/reception hour begins at 4:00... am I supposed to worry about keeping people entertained during that time? I'm assuming most people will get a hotel room for the night, but check-in at most hotels is at 3... should I be concerned about "the gap?"

Anniversary

Re: Transition from ceremony to reception... HELP!

• Options
    We recently went to 2 weddings with "gaps", both were out of town, and we had fun during both "gaps".  After one we walked around the lake and went to a historic hotel for a cocktail in the bar, and at another one we went on a brewery tour.  It was a great opportunity to  go places in towns we didn't usually hang out in.  Just bill it that way, give your guests suggestions of things to do in the area and it will be fine :)
  • Options
    We are getting married Catholic and avoiding having a gap by having our ceremony later and having the reception immediately following.  Our church gave us a choice of having the ceremony early like you are at 1:00 or 1:30 - well before the 4:00 weekly mass - or later at 6:00 or 6:30.  Does your church have that option or are they telling you that you HAVE to have the ceremony early?

I would personally not like to have to find something to do for two hours while the bridal party gets pictures taken.  Plus, like someone said, your guests will be STARVING by the time the reception starts and could possibly skip it to go get food on their own instead.  If there is any way you can avoid the gap, I would recommend it.
    Vicki & Ali - 3/5/11 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have to agree that people who have been to Catholic weddings come to expect that long gap in between.  It is irritating, but unavoidable.

Do you have any family or friends in town who could have light snacks and drinks at their house between the two events?  We have done that in my family for a couple of weddings, you just need to find people who aren't involved in the wedding party or in the immediate family to open up whatever house is willing to host.  Aunts & uncles are usually good for this.  Or does the church have a multipurpose room somewhere that could be used for the same thing?

I've also known guests to go hang out a restaurant and maybe order appetizers and drinks there in between.  Maybe you could get the word out about a nice place to do that in between.

People will find some way to occupy their time!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Well I think we've found a way to eliminate "the gap," we're just going to get married IN Cincinnati. It's just easier this way and I feel a lot better about our families not having to wait around for us. Thanks for the input!
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards