Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

S/O Debate: Drugs

2»

Re: S/O Debate: Drugs

• Options
    It's a good idea in theory, Expat. But think about the hard drugs that are severely addictive: how do you regulate that? How could someone with good conscience sell meth to someone who is very clearly going to kill himself with it? So you don't sell to addicts. Then that creates another black market. Legalizing all drugs is an ethical dilemma and it wouldn't eliminate the underground drug trade altogether, I don't think.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:c0aaf38c-3c0b-4720-a4c2-2ce4df2c352a">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Expat, you'd decriminal meth, PCP, heroin?  I'm interested in why.  Not trying to pick on you, just curious as to what your reasoning would be behind decriminalizing the more "dangerous" drugs.
    Posted by JK10910[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, I would.  At some point we have to realize that what we're doing isn't working.  They've been illegal for years, but people are still using them.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Decriminalizing and regulating them would greatly reduce drug-related violence.  And we could reallocate the money we're wasting on fighting this futile, uphill battle toward better prevention and rehab programs.</div>
  • Options
    I think that's a valid point, but I also think what needs to be thought about is even legalizing and regulating won't take care of all the problems either.  However, I definitely agree that more resources should be put into prevention and rehab.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:75485c24-3a62-4162-bade-21077e43ef53">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Debate: Drugs : Yes, I would.  At some point we have to realize that what we're doing isn't working.  They've been illegal for years, but people are still using them.   Decriminalizing and regulating them would greatly reduce drug-related violence.  And we could reallocate the money we're wasting on fighting this futile, uphill battle toward better prevention and rehab programs.
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]

I think if we legalized meth, people would still make it at home to sell on the street because it would go around the rules and cost less.  I can't see any good reason to legalize hard drugs, at all.  I don't really see the upside.  The people who have been importing them for so long illegally will still know how and still continue to do so, to avoid paying the import taxes, etc.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I'm really not sure how to word this correctly, so I'm probably not going to get across what I'm trying to say accurately. I'm not really a fan of any mood-altering substances, whether it be weed, alcohol, or really any drug. I'm even glad to get off caffeine, my body is starting to feel a lot better not being on those sugary sodas. I think any substance that alters your ability to process information correctly and in a timely manner, and could at some point affect someone else's life because of the user's bad decision/slow reaction/etc., should be regulated. Maybe weed should be decriminalized and regulated, sure. But I also think there needs to come a point down the line where we say you can get arrested for smoking around your kids, while pregnant, hell even while driving, whether it's weed or a regular cigarette.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    Expat: I see your point because in Europe alcohol isn't abused as much by youth because they have access to it, but it's just not the same when you get into things with such physical dependence (crack, coke, meth, heroin), with these things there is no lesson for the addicts to learn on their own they need professional help to get off it. In Oregon, there is a HUGE meth problem... if you knew someone on it you would NEVER want it de-criminalized.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:198e880e-63de-46fb-8a10-b4670bf37728">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O Debate: Drugs : I think if we legalized meth, people would still make it at home to sell on the street because it would go around the rules and cost less.  I can't see any good reason to legalize hard drugs, at all.  I don't really see the upside.  The people who have been importing them for so long illegally will still know how and still continue to do so, to avoid paying the import taxes, etc.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think it would be as big of a black market as you're assuming.  Take alcohol as an example:  People could make it at home and sell it on the black market to avoid having to pay for it in liquor stores.  But that's not a real problem.</div><div>
    </div><div>Regulated drugs would be "safe" - you'd know exactly what's in them, etc.   And they'd be legal - so you wouldn't be put in jail for buying/using them.  If the sales prices are kept purposefully low, what would be the great incentive for people to risk their lives and freedom for homemade/black market drugs?</div><div>
    </div><div>Even if there continued to be a black market for drugs after legalization, it would be MUCH SMALLER.  Because most people would buy the "safe" legal drugs.  And since there wouldn't be nearly as much profit for the drug cartels, their incentive to sell would dwindle.  And so would their power.</div>
  • Options
    I understand the point of decriminalizing dangerous drugs in terms of regulation. For example, that way the amount a person is buying can be monitored. You'll know exactly what's in it (cocaine and heroine often have random stuff ground up and thrown in to stretch the drug and make it more profitable). So someone won't die from having a bad reaction to baby asprin or something. Just from the drug itself! The government can also tax it and put money towards treatment programs. Being a junkie might carry less of a stigma and more people would be willing to seek help for addiction. Age limits could be put in place.

Nothing is perfect, and there would still be a black market, and underage kids would probably still get their hands on the stuff, but the "system" we have now is worst of all.

There has been some experimentation with giving "coping" doses of heroin to people in some European countries (Sweden or Switzerland, can't remember). For those who aren't quite ready to get clean, but are afraid of ODing or buying from drug dealers, etc. Supposedly, people can actually get through the day on heroin, if they are used to it. Which I totally buy, knowing a heroin addict. You can't get through a *quality* day or do much more than go through the motions, though.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Decriminalizing and legalizing are two different things.

I wasn't trying to blame Mexico for our problems here in the US...the problems with pot are a direct result of more stringent pot laws and usage in the US. Although the fact that mexican drug cartels have become strong enough to control marijuana growing in remote areas of the US is *really* scary.
  • Options
    I believe that people would tire of the "safe" drugs.  I think what would get made and sold under the table would be stronger versions, with scary things in them.  I mean, IMO, that's part of the reason things got so out of control with drugs in general, people are always looking for a better high, a longer lasting high, etc.  Someone is always going to be wanting more, especially with the drugs that you develop a tolerance to, and need more and more to get the same effect.  KWIM?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:46931948-4f5c-4592-a100-72ab813f36e5">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Expat: I see your point because in Europe alcohol isn't abused as much by youth because they have access to it, but it's just not the same when you get into things with such physical dependence (crack, coke, meth, heroin), with these things there is no lesson for the addicts to learn on their own they need professional help to get off it. In Oregon, there is a HUGE meth problem... if you knew someone on it you would NEVER want it de-criminalized.
    Posted by reddy123[/QUOTE]

While some of that stuff is really, really nasty, it's not a question of "Try it once and you are HOOKED. You'll be a drug fiend walking around, stealing money from little old ladies, looking for your next fix from day one." That is what DARE would lead you to believe. As some who has experimented with hard drugs, I assure you it is not that simple.

I will say that the best drug I've ever tried is cocaine. Which is why I had to stop doing it.

Once addicted, though, it's certainly a problem and people DO need help. But while part of addition is brain chemistry, part is behavior. I have a friend with a history of alcoholism who has decided not to drink, period. Just because you have the choice to do a drug doesn't mean you will.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Just because you have the choice to do a drug doesn't mean you will.

Very true, Mery.  I've never tried marijuana, and if it suddenly became legal, I still don't think I would.  It just doesn't appeal to me.
  • Options
    I agree also, Mery. I've been exposed to casual cocaine use on many occasions, and I've just never had the inclination to do it. Not my thing. This is also kind of why I don't buy the marijuana as a gateway drug concept. I don't know what the stats are on hard drug users, but I think most probably started with the MJ first. But that doesn't mean using marijuana makes you autmomatically want to get into harder stuff.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Lauren, I also think that pot is the easiest drug to get access too. Though meth might be taking over in that department, now. So it's a gateway in the sense that it's probably going to be the first drug you come across, IMO. I mean, my brother used to smoke pot when he was 13.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    AC - my ridiculous comment wasn't directed at you ;)

And I agree with msmerymac about people's incentives to use drugs.  Just because they're legal doesn't mean everyone will run out and use them.  If that were the case, we'd all be alcoholics.

Regarding getting a "bigger and better" high, I think that the majority of drug users are actually recreational users.  Meaning that they moderate their use, live "normal lives," and would be thrilled to get their fix legally.  Only true junkies - which form the minority of users - would be trying to chase the better high.  But they do that now anyway...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_debate-drugs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:57335f51-5155-40af-aa08-dc6e724ea3efPost:b63f2404-b2d7-411b-8e95-5cec9eaaa41c">Re: S/O Debate: Drugs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that the majority of drug users are actually recreational users.  Meaning that they moderate their use, live "normal lives," and would be thrilled to get their fix legally.  Only true junkies - which form the minority of users - would be trying to chase the better high.  But they do that now anyway...
    Posted by ExpatPumpkin[/QUOTE]
    I completely agree with this statement.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Sorry, I just can't get on board with legalizing drugs that we know to be harmful. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards