New York-New York City
Options

Eloping in NYC

My fiance are looking to elope. This will be my second wedding and neither of us want the fuss of planning a wedding or dealing with family ahead of time. We plan to have a luncheon or cocktail hour at some point afterwards to celebrate our marriage.
Money and time are an issue. I would also like my 9 year old daughter to be a part of the ceremony.
We live in NJ and NYC is probably the easiest place to get married quickly without a fuss, but getting married at the marriage bureau seems a little like a trip to the DMV and we'd both like something a little more intimate and memorable.
So we are considering flying to either Vegas or Tahoe, but there are so many choices, it's hard to narrow down and know what's tacky/touristy and what's truly romantic or special.
Has anyone here gotten married at the newly renovated Manhattan Marriage Bureau?
Is there a way to plan an easy (think Vegas easy) but more special wedding ceremony in NYC that isn't terribly expensive or already booked for the next 2 years?

Re: Eloping in NYC

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out this officiant's website for some NYC ideas:
    http://elopenewyork.com/

My fiance and I are getting married at the bureau in May and having a little dinner party after. All of the blogs seem to agree it's a very warm ceremony marked by the excitement and general warm-fuzziness of other waiting couples that fill the lobby. I've even read about brides sharing bouquets. Check out Brooklyn Bride for one cute example:
    http://bklynbrideonline.com/11552/real-weddings/real-elopement-danielle-gregor/

Feel free to PM me if you need restaurant ideas for a small celebration. I have a TON of research on potential venues and am happy to share. Best of luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married at the Manhattan Marriage Bureau and it was actually awesome.  We went on a Friday so there were several other couples with their families waiting around at the same time which added to the good energy.  Also, the woman who married us was super sweet, and we were able to say our own vows.  I highly recommend it.  I gush more in my bio. 

For dinner, we took over Salt restaurant in SoHo. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are from Chicago but decided to get married in Central Park. We found the website elopenyc.com...what a blessing! The officiant will go pretty much anywhere in the NYC area and her husband is a great photographer, an amazing package that has made this process much easier than I would have thought. They have a lot of location suggestions....good luck!!

sac376....I sent you a PM!
  • Options
    LizColstonLizColston member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've some really good Brooklyn Bridge or Rooftop locations that work out great..

good luck!
  • Options
    kcoccagniakcoccagnia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So couples don't have to stand around in the clerks office on Valentines day, this is being offered for Valentines weekend 2011. 
    http://kimberlycoccagnia.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentines-day-wedding-in-nyc.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards