Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?

My husband and I traveled roughly 550mi back in early October to attend a wedding of a friend of his from high school. Aside from the cash bar it was a nice event. We put a card with a monetary gift in the cardbox.

Fast forward four months and we hadn't received a thank you. I put on my judgy pants for a minute and then moved on.
And then we just got something in the mailbox.

it was a big postcard type deal with a plain, white, address label on the back.
On the front was their wedding picture and a typed note thanking everyone for coming and for our gift which would be great for their home.

Completely generic. Aside from the address label our names were nowhere on it. I'm not even sure they hand signed it.

They should have just saved themselves the money.

Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?

• Options
    No one I know has sent a generic thank you note, but I've seen them on wedding sites for a while. I agree with you, I think I'd rather they saved their money.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    FI and I received one of those types of TY cards from his cousing last year. Just a postcard-type deal with a typed message on the back. Ours was in an envelope with our names on it though, haha; at least there's that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I went to a wedding where I received a similar thank you card.  The couple didn't sign the card themselves, just stuffed the pre-printed card in an envelope and mailed it.  I totally agree--a waste of money.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My FH has a ton of thank you cards from weddings he has gone to in the past. We moved last summer but most of his stuff has been boxed up for years. We were going through some boxes and sorting stuff and I came across a ton of the cards. Most were nicely hand written BUT there was one that was super tacky. It was one they had preprinted with their names and everything. The bride did hand write something like, "Thanks for coming. We have to hang out soon." I personally would rather receive no card to one so generic. I received a thank you from someone whose wedding I missed because my friend was getting the same outta state. The bride wrote something to the effect of "It was great seeing you at the wedding. The gift was such a thoughtful touch to you enjoying our day with us! Love Bride and Groom". I laughed and called my mom and read it to her since it was a joint gift from us and they addressed the card to both of us.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Options
    We got one of those last year and I was SO angry. FI travelled across the country to go to the wedding, I couldn't afford to take the time off and it blew our travel budget for the year. It felt like more of an insult because we sacrificed our holidays for them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That is bad.  The worst I got was a generic "Thank you" printed on the outside and written inside was (no salutation) "Thanks for the gift.  Love B&G".
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    They are on the rise and I hate them. The last two I received were made by the photographer or part of the photography package. Nothing personal written on them at all.
    It sucks. I don't expect a HUGE thank you. Just a sincere one. And a generic note is not sincere. Especially when that generic note wasn't even typed by them. They had the photographer do everything.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_has-anyone-seen-this-kind-of-thank-you-before?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a452ce9-1369-4d64-9df1-9faac9192d1cPost:d719bae6-648e-4e46-8fa7-a017f034bef7">Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've seen them before, too.  It is a really lazy way to thank someone for their generosity. Birth announcements, Save the Dates and wedding announcements are the only things I tolerate as generic post cards with no note or salutation.
    Posted by KindaSparkly[/QUOTE]

Same here.  I don't understand why people cannot write a short note - even just "Happy Holidays" - on Holiday Cards that have their names preprinted. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    This makes me want to go on my thank you note rant again.  Crappy thank yous and really late thank yous are definitely my #1 pet peeve.

I actually had an incredible thank you note experience today: my firm interviewed a student for a summer job.  He had six 20-minute interviews.  His last interview started at 2:30.  By 4 pm he had delivered thank you notes to the front desk for every person who interviewed him, and they all had a personal message in them about the things discuessed during the various interviews... which clearly indicated that he sat down and wrote them directly after his last interview was over.  Needless to say, an email chain immediately started about how impressed we were with him.  They were only a few sentences each, but it made such a strong impression.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The worst I've seen:
    I did not attend this wedding as we received the invitation 5 days beforehand and I was out of town. 
    A couple weeks later, I got an email from the Mr. & Mrs. to the effect of:

Hi friends and family!
    Hello from our honeymoon roadtrip - we're in Vegas! Thanks for coming to our wedding (umm I didn't) and making it so wonderful! An added thank you to those of you who donated to our honeyfund! If you wanted to donate to our honeyfund and hadn't gotten the chance, it is still posted! Here is the link ____.  Wish us luck in Vegas! Mr & Mrs.

Basically I think they ran out of money (in Vegas!) on their honeymoon and decided that sending "thank yous" to their entire guestlist would be a good way to fix that problem. 
    Needless to say we did not "donate". 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_has-anyone-seen-this-kind-of-thank-you-before?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a452ce9-1369-4d64-9df1-9faac9192d1cPost:e9fd864a-34ed-4380-8a2d-d7fa3941051d">Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The worst I've seen: I did not attend this wedding as we received the invitation 5 days beforehand and I was out of town.  A couple weeks later, I got an email from the Mr. & Mrs. to the effect of: Hi friends and family! Hello from our honeymoon roadtrip - we're in Vegas! Thanks for coming to our wedding ( umm I didn't ) and making it so wonderful! An added thank you to those of you who donated to our honeyfund! If you wanted to donate to our honeyfund and hadn't gotten the chance, it is still posted! Here is the link ____.  Wish us luck in Vegas! Mr & Mrs. Basically I think they ran out of money (in Vegas!) on their honeymoon and decided that sending "thank yous" to their entire guestlist would be a good way to fix that problem.  Needless to say we did not "donate". 
    Posted by derksenriley[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Oh my god.  I'll be honest - I would have totally forwarded this to people who didn't know them.  Maybe that's petty of me, but I sort of feel like they would deserve it for sending it in the first place.  And yeah - sounds like they had so much fun in vegas that they lost all their money.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_has-anyone-seen-this-kind-of-thank-you-before?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a452ce9-1369-4d64-9df1-9faac9192d1cPost:e9fd864a-34ed-4380-8a2d-d7fa3941051d">Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The worst I've seen: I did not attend this wedding as we received the invitation 5 days beforehand and I was out of town.  A couple weeks later, I got an email from the Mr. & Mrs. to the effect of: Hi friends and family! Hello from our honeymoon roadtrip - we're in Vegas! Thanks for coming to our wedding ( umm I didn't ) and making it so wonderful! An added thank you to those of you who donated to our honeyfund! If you wanted to donate to our honeyfund and hadn't gotten the chance, it is still posted! Here is the link ____.  Wish us luck in Vegas! Mr & Mrs. Basically I think they ran out of money (in Vegas!) on their honeymoon and decided that sending "thank yous" to their entire guestlist would be a good way to fix that problem.  Needless to say we did not "donate". 
    Posted by derksenriley[/QUOTE]
    They sent an email with a reminder of their honeymoon registry... while on their honeymoon? What the schizzle?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_has-anyone-seen-this-kind-of-thank-you-before?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5a452ce9-1369-4d64-9df1-9faac9192d1cPost:46155714-95e0-44cb-af95-c1005da6032d">Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Has anyone seen this kind of thank you before? : They sent an email with a reminder of their honeymoon registry... while on their honeymoon? What the schizzle?
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

Yep. Klassy.
    I actually would've given them a check (never a honeyfund "donation" though) as a gift if not for that email, because I knew they could use it more than a physical gift.  After that... We waited a few months and brought over a bottle of bubbly and some champagne glasses as a belated wedding gift.  Got a thank you <em>text</em> for that.
  • Options
    I attended three weddings in June and July and STILL haven't gotten thank yous from any of them.  It's pretty annoying.  I see these people all the time, they haven't even thanked me in person.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We attended a wedding last year where FI was the best man, I wasn't originally invited to the wedding, despite being together longer than the bride and groom and owning a house together, but that's a story for another time. We purchased their whole bathroom set off their registry and about 3 or 4 months after the wedding received not one but 2 preprinted thank you notes. The inside was customized to mention the actual gift and generically thank FI for being best man, but really how do you mess up and send 2?

***September 2013 March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I have actually only ever received a thank you card once, and it was hand written.  To me, the trend seems to be just not sending one.  So, no I haven't received one like this, but I'm not sure my experience has been much better, lol!  Seriously, though, that is horrendous.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards