Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

A wedding without chicken?

Would my marriage be nullified if I didn't have a chicken dish as one of the choices for my reception?

We are allowed two entree choices, and we're seriously considering going with beef or salmon for the two choices. A lot of this has to do with the fact that some of our very close guests (like my brother and SIL) are pescatarians, and we want them to have something delicious to eat, rather than some crummy pasta dish. And FI really wants some sort of beef dish, so that leaves chicken out. I kind of think this is fine, because chicken isn't really all that interesting anyway, but then I am a remarkably unpicky eater, so I don't know if people are going to revolt and pour red wine on my white dress or something.
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: A wedding without chicken?

• Options
    I think as long as you have the chicken dance, everyone will leave satisfied.
  • Options
    My sister had beef and like a mahi mahi.  The guests really liked it.  We're in S. Florida, so they liked the variation.  I think salmon is a good choice.
    White Knot Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:b3cace29-c828-49c1-a0d9-95d4facd0701">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think as long as you have the chicken dance, everyone will leave satisfied.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

Have you been talking to my FMIL?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah, we hang.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:bdda5df9-d3fb-4cf7-af03-599f858e0541">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we hang.
    Posted by zippityb[/QUOTE]

She wants the mother-son dance to be the chicken dance.
    imageimage
  • Options
    We had crab cake and pork tenderloin as our options.  Along with a vegetarian pasta (which actually turned out to be rice, not pasta, but whatevs).  I think everyone had something they could enjoy.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:8813a471-1fce-4d18-8cc2-fe6f869a4eb0">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had crab cake and pork tenderloin as our options.  Along with a vegetarian pasta (which actually turned out to be rice, not pasta, but whatevs).  I think everyone had something they could enjoy.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Man, both of those sound really good.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm a huge meat-eater (I am from the midwest after all), so I'd be fine with the beef. Since I'm from the midwest, however, I'm not so much of a fish eater, since we don't get a whole lot of fresh seafood unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. Most people eat either salmon or beef anyway, so I think those sound fine. And you're right, chicken can be boring.
    Malcolm AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

They really were.  Too bad my bouquet tipped over out of the too-small vase a well-meaning server had stuck it in and knocked my drink all over my plate, haha.

ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Personally I love salmon, but I know a lot of people that don't. Whereas I only know like 1 person that doesn't like chicken. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We served filet and halibut (and a vegetarian ratatouille) at our wedding.  It was all delicious!  I understand needing a non-red meat option and I understand that some people don't like fish, but I feel that if you won't eat either, you need to get the vegetarian dish and call it a day!
  • Options
    Maybe the salmon tastes like chicken.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Noelle, I'm also doing a mushroom ravioli. I had it the other day and it's GOOD. That gnocchi sounds awesome too.

I don't really know anyone who will eat ONLY chicken as a meat option. Even if people don't eat beef, they'll eat fish. If they don't like salmon, they'll likely have beef. And I'm guessing that your venue will accomodate special diets, like vegan or whatever, so everyone should be happy. Or at least fed. Weddings aren't restaurants. You can only do so much and have so much variety, right?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My only thought is how will the salmon be prepared?  Of all the fish dishes out there, salmon can be pretty smelly... and you wouldn't want the smell of fish all night.
  • Options
    Yay! I'm glad that so far no one is advocating pouring red wine on my wedding dress in lieu of chicken.

HC, what is it about FMILs and the chicken dance? FI and I are both pretty adamantly against it, and we're probably hiring an anarchist DJ who agrees with us, so I guess that's that.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:0588ca3d-a5de-4378-83af-ebfefefd3f9f">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Noelle, I'm also doing a mushroom ravioli. I had it the other day and it's GOOD. That gnocchi sounds awesome too.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

I love me some mushroom ravioli.  I'm so ridiculously excited for our reception food.  Aside from actually being married to my FI, I think it's next on the list of "things I'm most excited for about the wedding".  I can't wait for my family and friends to try the food... it's fantabulous!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:f12b81d6-ac10-4a46-a300-101aae8fc61b">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only thought is how will the salmon be prepared?  Of all the fish dishes out there, salmon can be pretty smelly... and you wouldn't want the smell of fish all night.
    Posted by arv266[/QUOTE]

This is a little strange. Not sure how it will be prepared yet, but I don't think the hotel kitchens are close enough to the ballroom to pervade the place with cooking smells. I've been to plenty of weddings that had salmon, and I don't ever remember the place smelling like fish.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:52bcd8ba-a1ab-483d-8600-46523a97d6aa">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]THere will be no chickens at my wedding either. And we are only having one entree: Beef! Oh, the horror!
    Posted by SarahPLiz[/QUOTE]

<div>So what are the people that don't eat beef supposed to do?</div>
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:a987e553-e522-47ef-9535-40fd94958ad5">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A wedding without chicken? : Haha, I'm not really sure...I know friends who have had this happen as well when they were planning their weddings. I hate to say its an "older woman thing" :| but idk...she was really displeased that there will be no chicken dance or macarena. Of course this is the same woman who wanted me to put registry info in the invites & have a dollar dance. She means well, but I will not cave for the chicken dance. whoops.
    Posted by hcbrowne[/QUOTE]

Mine also wants us to play the Electric Slide. I think maybe FI should handle her wedding suggestions for a while.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:8bd622d5-424f-4788-8301-b501db66735b">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A wedding without chicken? : So what are the people that don't eat beef supposed to do?
    Posted by salt78[/QUOTE]

<div>We only have one guest that doesn't eat beef, and he is in love with our vegetables, which are very hearty. Menu in bio. </div>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I only eat chicken for meat becasue I do not like sea food or beef so I would be very hungry at you wedding, but I would not care becasue it is my own fault for being picky. I just went to my friend's wedding and she only had sea food and beef so I just ate the side dishes and was fine. I think that there is not a lot of people out there who would not like fish or beef so I think your fine.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think I'm in the minority.

I HATE any kind of seafood. I know I'm weird. I'm also picky about my beef. So I would be disapointed there wasn't a chicken choice, but I'd live and eat the beef. I didn't read all the replys so forgive me if this was already mentioned, but is there a way you can do 3 choices? I know my venue charged extra, but it might help people like me who aren't fond of seafood or beef.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:3cb3d076-b5cf-401a-886f-2d376ea349f4">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A wedding without chicken? : Mine also wants us to play the Electric Slide. I think maybe FI should handle her wedding suggestions for a while.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

<div>I think this sounds like a good plan.</div>
  • Options
    hcbrownehcbrowne member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:3cb3d076-b5cf-401a-886f-2d376ea349f4">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: A wedding without chicken? : Mine also wants us to play the Electric Slide. I think maybe FI should handle her wedding suggestions for a while.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I'm going to play the electric slide & possibly the cupid shuffle, which I thought was a good compromise. However, despite this, no chicken dance=no fun wedding. The drama of that statement just amuses me.& I agree at some point ya just gotta say no and let the FI talk with her abt any further "concerns."
  • Options
    We are having absolutely no chicken on our wedding menu, and no chicken-titled dances on our playlist.  :)  I think the state of CA will still recognize the marriage.
  • Options
    My mom was pushing for the honey-pokey. No joke. Exhibit 1253252 that my mother is crazy.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:ba6428aa-4fac-4ecb-81fd-a614448a0388">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom was pushing for the honey-pokey. No joke. Exhibit 1253252 that my mother is crazy.

LOL! thats awesomely bad.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:ba6428aa-4fac-4ecb-81fd-a614448a0388">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mom was pushing for the honey-pokey. No joke. Exhibit 1253252 that my mother is crazy.

Hey, I've also had that request! FI's aunt desperately wants to do the hokey pokey with her granddaughter.

I don't know what's up with FI's family.

I forget who asked, but I think it would raise the price per head significantly to add a third entree choice. There will also be some sort of vegetarian option for people who can't eat beef or fish, just not sure what that will be yet.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c15abbe-c8e7-45fb-9533-3028487811cePost:ba6428aa-4fac-4ecb-81fd-a614448a0388">Re: A wedding without chicken?</a>:

My friend had the hokey pokey at her reception.  It was fun and no one had a problem with it.  Embrace the wacky, Mery.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    She was also pissed that I vetoed Donna Summer.

Yeah, mom, this isn't 1979 and it isn't your wedding!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards