New York-New York City
Options

Finally have a venue!!

So I was really excited this weekend because me and fh were going to sign a contract for the venue I really wanted.  My inlaws said they would help pay so we were not too worried about the cost.  I spent months researching this place and really loved it!  The night before we were to sign the contract, they tell us they may not be able to pay for the amount the said they were going to.  Also, they didn't think they wanted a lot of people at the wedding. (The venue site had a minimum of 100) I was like WTF?  You tell me this now, the night before  we sign!!

I was pissed...the only reason their doing this is because they finally realized
1.  Their son was really getting married
2.  We did not like the place that they wanted us to get married at. So we said no.

It was really messed up what they did.  Waiting till the last minute to tell us that.  So we sat on it and both me and fh said we are not going to include them in any decisions until after we have made them.  Their just being negative and well you fill in the rest.  We had to look all this weekend for venues or restaurants to check out for the following week.  Well I saw a place in long island today, made an appt for today, (Very random) Loved it and signed a contract!  The great thing is fh and I can afford it ourselves and do not need anyone's help!!  We are happy...can't wait to tell the inlaws!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Finally have a venue!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! I'm very happy for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm totally one for not getting the in-laws involved in every aspect, unless it's something they are paying for.  We did everything ourselves, the wedding was great, and we didn't have to answer to anyone.  Might have perturbed a few, but if you weren't helping foot the bill, then you had no say.  Best way to go whenever possible.  Congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Really sorry that happened, but I'm so glad for you that you found a place you love... and, just my unrequested 2 cents, I think it's better to avoid having others' pay if you can, because you don't need the stress of them wanting to control things.  Nice work!! ;)
  • Options
    JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please do tell the reaction of your in laws when they find out you already booked a place- especially one you both can pay for yourself... now all their power is gone lol
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that is great! congratulations on finding a venue you can afford yourselves that you're happy with. as for them having input...i had been reluctant to have my parents pay for anything because of the power they would have. but there is no way DH and i could have paid for my big family. and given how my parents tried to exert control over the things they weren't paying for and had nothing to do with...some people will exert pressure and try to control anything even if they don't have the power of the purse. they still have the power of being your parents who know how to manipulate you and push your buttons. ugh.
  • Options
    leilahaustinleilahaustin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks all.  I will def post their reactions!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    YAY.....Congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats for getting it done! I have in-laws that..as much as I love them, stick their nose into everything! I've planned 3 weddings (changed it for the third and final time recently) and kinda snapped a bit last night at a fathers day bbq. they were laying into me about not being able to make up my mind (even tho it was b/c of them I changed it twice!). i feel bad, but yeeeesh! I know they are trying to help me, but again...yeesh! So i feel your pain! Good for you!
  • Options
    csudiacacsudiaca member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats!  Do you need help with your invites?  We are a fun, energetic letterpress / design studio specializing in custom wedding invitations.  We believe every invitation should tell a story and help set the stage for a wonderful wedding.  Let us help tell your story and leave a lasting impression on all of your guests.  Thanks... LOL

LOL Letterpress
    lolletterpress@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations! Now you can put that stress behind you & just enjoy the rest of your planning!  By the Way what was the place you were initially considering & what did you choose? If you dont mind me asking.
    It Was Luv At First Bite!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards