Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Venue blahs

I am 8 weeks out from my wedding date and my venue coordinator will not call or email me back. The last email I sent want 3/7. No reply. The only person I've met with ever was last April when we took a tour and made our deposit payment.

I am going back and forth between "maybe they don't meet with brides this soon" and "we are paying lot of money for good service, the least she can do is write me an email or give me a call."

Does this seem normal? Should I be patient or start calling bosses or showing up in person? Soooo frustrated and starting to get panicky.  Vendors are asking me when and where they will set up and all I can say it I don't know. Do I need to order chairs/linens, a mic for the ceremony? No idea...

Re: Venue blahs

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:f54c2646-f1e5-4092-9471-2116871f1aeb">Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am 8 weeks out from my wedding date and my venue coordinator will not call or email me back. The last email I sent want 3/7. No reply. The only person I've met with ever was last April when we took a tour and made our deposit payment. I am going back and forth between "maybe they don't meet with brides this soon" and "we are paying lot of money for good service, the least she can do is write me an email or give me a call." Does this seem normal? Should I be patient or start calling bosses or showing up in person? Soooo frustrated and starting to get panicky.  Vendors are asking me when and where they will set up and all I can say it I don't know. Do I need to order chairs/linens, a mic for the ceremony? No idea...
    Posted by LizzyRB[/QUOTE]

That is not normal in the least and I would be not only contacting supervisors, but showing up in person. By 8 weeks out we had everything done with the exception of turning in Dina numbers and our rehearsal.
  • Options
    Am I being too pessimistic to suggest feeling around for other venues in case you're able to get out of your contract? Some places will really negotiate rates with you if it's this close to the event and they aren't booked yet....

But try supervisors/in person first.
  • Options
    I would definitely call a manager. It is possible that she left and they didn't forward her voicemail or e-mail, or that she went out suddenly on medical leave. Whether she is just unresponsive or is not there anymore, you are close to your date and need to connect with someone there that will respond to you. It is not a bad thing to call her manager; you're concerned.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:af8f3cdf-81cc-4ea5-8fb3-4d1c57ccabd0">Re: Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I being too pessimistic to suggest feeling around for other venues in case you're able to get out of your contract? Some places will really negotiate rates with you if it's this close to the event and they aren't booked yet.... But try supervisors/in person first.
    Posted by aurianna[/QUOTE]

I agree-and I would be ready, if you can't get a supervisor or meet with the coordinator in person, to go to another venue if the worst comes to the worst.
  • Options
    If we back out now I lose all the money we have paid thus far :(
  • Options
    It looks like my post disappeared.

I would ask for a supervisor ASAP. It is possible that the coordinator left or had to go on sudden medical leave, and they haven't forwarded her e-mail or voice mail to someone else. Either way, whether she is just unresponsive or she is not there anymore, you should definitely get in touch with someone if you're ready to talk details with them. You've made multiple attempts to contact the coordinator, and have every right to try a manager.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:da706f76-f790-4bb3-a89d-9379d444d0d0">Re: Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]If we back out now I lose all the money we have paid thus far :(

Not saying commit to anyone. But it wouldn't hurt just to shop around while you're waiting for the others to get back to you.
  • Options
    Do you live near to the venue? If so, I might just stop by and force the issue. Even managers can evade phone calls. An angry bride in your foyer is a lot harder to ignore.
  • Options
    I would go and visit it and ask to speak to someone and explain how you're feeling. 2 months before your wedding and trying to get things done for the wedding seems perfectly reasonable to me. At least for an email, they don't take that long to get through.

Now I'm worried about my venue and hoping ours isn't the same one, hah! Hope it all works out and you get it all taken care of!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Visit, call, email - a lot. Keep track of how much you contact them.

This is definitely unusual - our venue coordinator responds to me at least within 48 hours (she works part time only) and with very detailed responses. I have seriously emailed/called her dozens of times and she never gets (visibly) tired of me.

You definitely need to get this info from them and if you can't get a hold of them in a week, I would say keep your eyes peeled for other venues. It sounds like they're not fulfilling their end of the contract.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:84f402ba-9ffa-415b-9c65-9e7356724646">Re: Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would go and visit it and ask to speak to someone and explain how you're feeling. 2 months before your wedding and trying to get things done for the wedding seems perfectly reasonable to me. At least for an email, they don't take that long to get through. Now I'm worried about my venue and hoping ours isn't the same one, hah! Hope it all works out and you get it all taken care of!
    Posted by lilphillips14[/QUOTE]

We are at the Cincy Art Museum, where are you?
  • Options
    They provide the bar, and do the catering (catering is a different department, and i HAVE been able to work with them to get my menu planned and ready)

The lady still works there. I called today and asked who I needed to speak to and they said her. I called her coworker and am hoping to hear back from that voicemail. If not I guess I go down in person!

At least I know I am not crazy now and I really should be hearing back this close to the wedding. Thanks girls!
  • Options
    Yes, this is concerning. What kind of venue is it? I am using a country club and this is their off season and they are only in a few times a week, but I knew that in advance.

If they are unable to meet their obligations to you and refuse a refund on your deposit, you can try to take them to small claims court.

Document all of this. Call from your cell phone and keep a record of the transactions and a log of your calls. Try contacting others at the venue. If you aren't getting a response from anyone by Monday, I'd suggest sending a certified letter as a next step.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    Sorry, I saw other details after I posted. I started that post before I got a phone call earlier.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    The coordinator at my venue definitely takes her time emailing me back (up to a week sometimes), but I'm over 5 months out and I really hope she gets better as we get closer. At 8 weeks I would start bridezilla-ing a bit at anyone you can get ahold of and hopefully they'll get her to respond.
  • Options
    Give her 24 hours to call you back, then call the venue and ask to speak with her supervisor, or any person in a position of authority.  Explain that you have already invested x amount of money and that you can't get a response.  Tell them you are extremely concerned and alarmed considering how close your wedding is.  In short, throw a fit but be professional, not psycho (no swearing :).  Tell them that you expect an immediate response from the wedding coordinator, or else you expect that someone else will be taking over.

You really shouldn't have to physically go in to get a response.  Personally I think you have tried hard enough to get in touch with the actual coordinator, and I'd be working up the chain of command now.  This is, in my opinion, totally unacceptable customer service considering how expensive weddings are.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It always amazes me when it takes someone more than a few days to respond to an email. It seems so easy to just type a response as soon as you get done reading it, but maybe that's just me. Let us know how it goes if you end up going down there in person!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:e3389b9f-e386-4b2f-848d-e7d3577ed32f">Re: Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Venue blahs : We are at the Cincy Art Museum, where are you?

<div>Oh Aston Oaks Golf Club. But ooo the Art Museum, I'm jealous! I bet it will be lovely once all the details get worked out!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're getting married on the same day and we just had our final meeting with the caterer and coordinator.  We're a little a head of schedule, but we've been meeting with the coordinator since October.  You need to call and demand to talk them ASAP.  If you can't get a hold of anyway, go over there.  I'd be going total bridezilla on them right now.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    UPDATE (if anyone still looks at this): I called a few other people at the museum and got an email from her yesterday afternoon saying she heard I was looking for her and she was really sorry and my emails must have gone to her spam folder. We booked a meeting for next week.

I feel a big weight off but still a little nervous future interactions will be based on past...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_venue-blahs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5c935064-202c-45e3-b74b-29341010c6a2Post:b4593c7e-6dbc-4541-9d4c-32f2ceb192fb">Re: Venue blahs</a>:
    [QUOTE]UPDATE (if anyone still looks at this): I called a few other people at the museum and got an email from her yesterday afternoon saying she heard I was looking for her and she was really sorry and my emails must have gone to her spam folder. We booked a meeting for next week. I feel a big weight off but still a little nervous future interactions will be based on past...

I think the "spam folder" thing is a poor excuse, but I'm glad you got a response and got something set up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards