Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Warning touchy subject

I was on a different forum and something was brought up about a local shop owner molesting children. I had heard this before but that's not what the post is about. Someone posted the link to check out sex offenders in your area. I went on and was checking some stuff out and I couldn't help but notice how short some of these sentences are. One man convicted of sexually abusing a 4 year old only got 6 months in local jail and 5 years probation. Wtf?! I've seen people get that for possession of marijuana, which is nowhere near abusing a child! This is seriously upsetting. The longest sentence I have seen going through this so far was four years!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: Warning touchy subject

• Options
    Scratch that...just saw one with 7 years...
  • Options
    I agree with you. It's scary to think that's the kind of world we live in... I went on a website like that once and it was like little dots (aka sex offenders) all over the screen. I wanted to move.
  • Options
    It's really disturbing that in many of these cases, the molester will be out of jail before the child is of legal age.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    it's scary to think about.
  • Options
    I thought they weren't supposed to be within so many miles of a school or something like that, but my town is literally one square mile and we just had a RSO move in to town.  Pretty sure he is closer to the school than he is supposed to be.  This bothers me.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    I don't get how these laws haven't been changed already.  Dumb just dumb
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Honestly, i can't even begin to discuss my anger with it.  It makes me sick to my stomach that these people "get away" with this. 
    It's time. Adoption saving and process started in November 2012.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That's disturbing.

I checked out the sex offender website a few times and was pretty shocked at how many there are. I wasn't expecting to see THAT many dots on the map. All those poor kids. Makes me sick.
  • Options
    There is no logic when it comes to sex crimes.

For example I have a friend who was sentenced to 10 years for statutory rape.  She was 17 with a fake id, a regular at a bar, with the drinking age being 18 he had no reason to believe she was not 18. Now he is a convicted sex offender and has to register where ever he lives.

On the very same day another guy was sentenced to 18 months suspended  and 2 years probation for raping his 13 year old niece for over a year.

Real fair right?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I think that sexual crimes are by and large ignored and unpunished in our society. I think both child molestation and rape deserve harsh punishment.
    I live in a big state, but we don't have a lot of people, so any piece of local news is on every station. There was a crime here that occured when I was a child that was just...horrific.
    A man who had been convicted of raping young boys was let out of prison, and sent specifically to Montana. He should have been in prison for life, but they let him go.
  • Options
    In some states, if you are caught urinating in public, or caught streaking, you have to register. I think that is a bit harsh.

Molesting children, your ass should be in prison forever.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-warning-touchy-subject?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f019d0c-8f54-4711-9bb6-05133b628b15Post:78412ce3-e9ce-4c49-987c-ad4c2e10e01b">Re: NWR: Warning touchy subject</a>:
    [QUOTE]In some states, if you are caught urinating in public, or caught streaking, you have to register. I think that is a bit harsh. Molesting children, your ass should be in prison forever.
    Posted by CA2MT4EveR[/QUOTE]

Exactly! Some things are taken to the extreme, while others are not taken as serious as they should be. It is insane!
  • Options
    Ugh I hate that. I'm finishing up my psych bachelor's degree, and I have an internship where some of the people I work with are sex offenders. It makes me sick to hear about some of the things they've done, and their sentences were really short too. Sick.
  • Options

The site does give a good amount of information about the entire situation though. It says whether there was "actual sexual contact," "actual sexual intercourse," etc. It shows the age and sex of the victim, as well as the conviction, incarceration sentence including whether it was county jail, state prison, etc., probation sentence, tattoos, scars, addresses, vehicles, relationship to the victim.

Some of them I look at and can see the possibility of maybe the statuatory, "I'm 18," type situation going on but most of them are seriously disturbing! Mostly the young children and sodomy cases..

• Options
    PaddamillPaddamill member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    Not to say too much about my personal life, but I was abused when I was thirteen by a teacher. I told the principal, counselors, teachers, all of them ignored it and never took any action. Finally he was caught when a lot of other girls happend to speak up. He was sentenced to one year in jail, lifetime on the sex offenders list, and ended up working for the superintindent for our county schools.

Needless to say...we moved.

I am a hugepart of advocates for youth against sexual abuse and find that the laws in the state of Kentucky are very minor and somewhat corrupt. An 18 year old who has consensual sex with a 16 year old gets more jail time than a 40 year old who had sex with a 16 year old. It is sick and very twisted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Vacation
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-warning-touchy-subject?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f019d0c-8f54-4711-9bb6-05133b628b15Post:fec9efdd-3001-43df-bf5f-a0035a77b3b0">Re: NWR: Warning touchy subject</a>:
    [QUOTE]The site does give a good amount of information about the entire situation though. It says whether there was "actual sexual contact," "actual sexual intercourse," etc. It shows the age and sex of the victim, as well as the conviction, incarceration sentence including whether it was county jail, state prison, etc., probation sentence, tattoos, scars, addresses, vehicles, relationship to the victim. Some of them I look at and can see the possibility of maybe the statuatory, "I'm 18," type situation going on but most of them are seriously disturbing! Mostly the young children and sodomy cases..
    Posted by wcvsb3b5[/QUOTE]

Does it also say what kind of psychiatric treatment they were sentenced to? I imagine that plays a large part in sentencing. Now I'm not saying I agree with this, but a judge is probably more lenient towards someone who is remorseful for their crime and agrees to take XYZ psychiatric remediation than someone who doesn't.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    A lot of people make cases for sex offenders that they can be rehabilitated, they weren't mentally well at the time, they were abused, etc.  I don't think there is every any excuse but this is why they get out.  People feel sorry for them. 

IMO, why should anyone have to learn that you aren't capable of rehabilitation by you raping them?  We all make choices in life and people need to be held individually repsonsible for their actions.

Just playing devil's advocate, would you say the same thing if the offender was someone you loved? 

Personal story:  I dated a sex offender unknowlingly.  I eventually found out but guess what?  His parents and his lawyer not only protected him, but he got away scotch free.  I'd like to think his parents were good people and would feel the same way we do about sex offenders but when it came to their son they didn't care at all. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-warning-touchy-subject?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f019d0c-8f54-4711-9bb6-05133b628b15Post:f37f8b1e-f137-4c13-bc10-5168fe31153c">Re: NWR: Warning touchy subject</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Warning touchy subject : Does it also say what kind of psychiatric treatment they were sentenced to? I imagine that plays a large part in sentencing. Now I'm not saying I agree with this, but a judge is probably more lenient towards someone who is remorseful for their crime and agrees to take XYZ psychiatric remediation than someone who doesn't.
    Posted by cac847[/QUOTE]

It does say each individuals requirements. There have not been very many that say they must continue psychiatric treatment. I think most of the people that are given a shorter sentence because they agree to psychiatric treatment is just a way for them to get what they want. MOST of the offenders should realize that it is wrong and known what they were doing was wrong (at the time of occurance).
  • Options
    Andyandhilary- Just to clarify, are you saying that you think all sex offenders should be given life sentences without the possibility of parole regardless of psychiatric rehabilitation?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Not at all!  Obviously people who urinated in public or slept with a 17 year old as an 18 year old shouldn't.  Certain people should.  For ex:  I have a friend whose brother molested his daughter when she was a toddler.  While I know it causes my friend's mom and dad a lot of pain, I don't think 12 years is enough for him. 

I'm also not educated on anything with psychology so I can't give a really informed, reasoned opinion on it. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Gotcha :) Makes more sense now.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    actually, most of the rehabilitation for sex offenders it training them to remember that molesting children is wrong and will get them into trouble.  most of them cannot be rehabbed into not wanting to molest.  and a lot of the molesters escalate the level of abuse they put upon their victims.

so... for those with proven real sexual molestation charges (obviously not the public urinators or 18 year olds having sex with their 16 year old girlfriends), i'm a fan of long or lifetime incarcination.
  • Options
    This subject gets me so irritated!  I've seen so many cases go extreme for little stuff and not strict enough for others.  However, I used to be friends with this guy who always said his brother was in jail for some "BS".  That's all I ever knew.  Well I always read this website "news of the weird" and it had a story on it about his brother.  Turns out the guy raped a 4 year old.  He got ten years to life in prison.  He has been there for about 11 or so now and keeps getting denied parole.  I hope he stays for life.  FUCKTARD PIECE OF SH*T.

Here's the news of the weird snippet:

Charles Dumas, 37, insisting on his innocence, was convicted of raping a young girl in 1998 and sentenced to 10-years-to-life, but began begging for a DNA test. Finally, earlier this year, prosecutors relented, and a solemn Dumas told a Columbus Dispatch reporter: "This test means my life. It's my last chance to prove to my children that I didn't do this." In May, the results came back: Guilty. [Columbus Dispatch, 5-20-09]
  • Options
    WTF?  Why ask for a DNA test if you know you did it?  You're just going to look like a bigger asshat than before. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards