Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Champagne Toast

We're debating whether to give everyone a glass of champagne after dinner for toasts. A few people have mentioned to me that they don't really care for champagne and it might be better to just let people use what ever is in their glass.

What does everyone think? Do you like champagne?

Anniversary

Re: Champagne Toast

• Options
    I think you don't need to GIVE everyone a glass of champagne, but it should be available for all guests. 

Or, I'm happy to drink everyone else's champagne for them if they don't want it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_champagne-toast-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f458f15-be57-464a-a9e1-d0b92ccca31ePost:91c2492b-5870-4c16-906e-5cf2feaf7f69">Re: Champagne Toast</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll drink it if it's there but if you're not set on the idea you could forgo it.  How many people are invited and what would be the cost of champagne?
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

It would add about $500 to the bill.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I don't think people will even notice if you don't have it for the toast.

• Options
    I was going to toast with whatever people already had in their hands at the time (beer or wine).
  • Options
    I'll drink it if it's there for me to toast with.  If it's not (i.e I have to go to the bar for it or it just doesn't exist) I have absolutely no problem toasting with vodka....

I kind of enjoy the tradition of toasting with champagne, but if you just want to make it a choice at the bar I think that's fine.
  • Options
    andrea2473andrea2473 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I've worked in catering before and we dump out so much champagne at weddings.  Make it available at the bar, but I personally think it's wasteful to pass it out. People take it whether they intend on drinking it or not.

ETA: spelling
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    We provided champange at our wedding for toasts.  Our bar servers passed out the glasses (they were actually just plastic flutes) and poured champagne for whoever wanted it.  No one's required to drink champagne for the toasts but yeah, anyone who wanted to have some got some.

We only had to pay for the bottles that were opened, though.
    panther
  • Options
    Would it be awkward if we had the waitstaff go around to the tables with it poured in glasses and ask guests if they'd like a glass for toasting. That way it would only be poured if people want it.

Does that even make sense?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We didn't have a champagne toast, because the cost per person was too high at my hall for the type of champagne they were offering. We toasted with whatever people were already drinking, and the waiters went around with a signature drink (included in my open bar) that people could use if they wanted something a bit fancier to toast with.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_champagne-toast-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f458f15-be57-464a-a9e1-d0b92ccca31ePost:e0386170-179f-4a52-a2a7-da34cc5a6117">Re: Champagne Toast</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be awkward if we had the waitstaff go around to the tables with it poured in glasses and ask guests if they'd like a glass for toasting. That way it would only be poured if people want it. Does that even make sense?
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

I've attended receptions like that, and think it's a good compromise.
  • Options
    That makes sense and I don't think it would be awkward.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_champagne-toast-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f458f15-be57-464a-a9e1-d0b92ccca31ePost:e0386170-179f-4a52-a2a7-da34cc5a6117">Re: Champagne Toast</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be awkward if we had the waitstaff go around to the tables with it poured in glasses and ask guests if they'd like a glass for toasting. That way it would only be poured if people want it. Does that even make sense?
    Posted by achiduck[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what happened at our wedding.
    panther
  • Options
    Thanks ladies :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    The last wedding I went to, the couple set up a champagne fountain by the bar.  That way, the people who wanted champagne, had the option.  Those who didn't, left it alone. It was a nice touch to the reception.

ETA: The champagne fountain was very popular and the couple ran out of champagne halfway through the evening.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    The champagne toast was including at our reception, but we went with ginger ale in all the glasses.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Real champagne is icky but Asti is good
  • Options
    I don't like champagne at all but when it has been handed to me at a wedding for a toast I do take a sip. I like your idea about having waiters ask before it's handed out.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_champagne-toast-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f458f15-be57-464a-a9e1-d0b92ccca31ePost:7de7d8b9-722d-4a81-9e47-62d41e3f66be">Re: Champagne Toast</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've worked in catering before and we dump out so much champagne at weddings.  Make it available at the bar, but I personally think it's wasteful to pass it out. People take it whether they intend on drinking it or not. ETA: spelling
    Posted by andrea2473[/QUOTE]

My reception hall recommended we not waste our money since they usually end up pouring most of the bottles out at the end of the night. I like champagne but I would prefer to toast with whatever I'm drinking.

I do like the idea of a champagne fountain!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want to, go for it. They don't have to drink it all. Just maybe, like PP's said, make it available, but not mandatory.
  • Options
    My husband is a big beer fanatic (we had over 60 types of beer at the wedding) and rather than having champagne, each guest toasted with a glass of raspberry Lambic (link).  It's a sweet, fruity tasting beer, and you probably wouldn't know it was beer otherwise.  It was probably $100 to have everyone toast with that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options

Which of your two questions do you want answered on your poll?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards