Wedding Etiquette Forum

Update- Social Security office

I went to my local SS office yesterday.  In & out in 25 min.  What a relief!

Re: Update- Social Security office

• Jealous!

I got really giddy when I got my new card :)
  • YAY!  My time there was suprisingly fast too. 
  • Stack your daughter is adorable!

Alexia- I was told it would take 7-10 days to get my card, did it take that long for you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:ac17e019-d349-4dbc-97ae-3ecee43fef79">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stack your daughter is adorable! Alexia- I was told it would take 7-10 days to get my card, did it take that long for you?
    Posted by *BeachBride0410*[/QUOTE]

It sounds right, I think I was closer to 7 than 10... actually, less than 7.  Hmmm... let me ask Robert and see if he remembers.
  • Good! 

You know you don't have to wait for the new card to go get your new driver's license right?  You can take the paperwork the SS office gave you and your marriage certificate.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:b5fa66d5-3bb6-4d1e-890a-755c070e8cc7">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good!  You know you don't have to wait for the new card to go get your new driver's license right?  You can take the paperwork the SS office gave you and your marriage certificate.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

WHAT?!?!? I didn't know that!
  • You sure don't have to wait.  I went directly from the SS to the BMV.  I had a print out of my marriage abstract and a print out of the SS name update.   Finished it all in about 2 hours. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:b5fa66d5-3bb6-4d1e-890a-755c070e8cc7">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good!  You know you don't have to wait for the new card to go get your new driver's license right?  You can take the paperwork the SS office gave you and your marriage certificate.
    Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

See I remembered you telling me this, and I asked the lady at the SS office and she told me I couldn't do that.  I had to wait for my card to come in the mail.  Maybe things have changed?  But maybe I will call the BMV
  • Stack-  I think I had a pair of skates like your daughter when I was little....are they the fisher price ones that had 4 wheels for skates then you could move the wheels in and they could be used as roller blades?  haha I remember those!
  • Well I did it in September 2008, so it's possible that it's changed.  They told me I had to wait 24 hours so I waited and then went and had no problems.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:970641c9-7d64-47c9-9980-fe4260047425">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well I did it in September 2008, so it's possible that it's changed.  <strong>They told me I had to wait 24 hours so I waited and then went and had no problems.
    </strong>Posted by danieliza1127[/QUOTE]

hmm they did tell me it took 24hrs for the change to hit the system.  But I flat out said can I take this paper work into the BMV and get a new license and she said no you have to wait for your card.  So who knows!  I might give the BMV a call....I couldn't do it today anyway, plus they are closed on Mondays.  Tuesday I believe is the day they are open late, till like 7pm. 
  • I always get confused, becaue in PA it was the DMV and here in IN its a BMV....weird
  • Aw crap, 24 hours?  I'm assuming that's a national and not a state thing?  I was really hoping to take the day after our honeymoon off and just bang it all out in one day.  Damn.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Dani-  When you went to get your license done, did you do your car registration and car title?  I would assume that those would need to be changed to?  Or is it ok its in my maiden name??
  • MrsTR - I think it varies by State because I'm pretty sure there are girls who went and did it all in one day.  I could definitely be wrong though.

BB - I'm pretty sure when I got a new license they also updated my registration.  I think they have to maybe.  Honestly, I can't remember.
  • FWIW, I've spoken to 2 different DMV workers here in VA and they both told me I only need my marriage certificate to get my name change on my license.
  • That was the worst for me here in NY. I think I had to give them everything but my kidney to get my new liscense. The SS office was an easier process than the DMV. Hmmph

• I'm going to the DMV today for the second time. That's because when I went the first time their web site said I only needed my marriage license and driver's license... but apparently the state of Florida hasn't updated their system since the new changes went into effect Jan 1. Now at least in FL you need two proofs of residency, your passport or birth certificate/certified copy and your drivers and marriage license.

It was way easier to change my social. Didn't even need an appointment :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:acc5c7cd-f0e1-4c9b-b05f-90220c9b342f">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dani-  When you went to get your license done, did you do your car registration and car title?  I would assume that those would need to be changed to?  Or is it ok its in my maiden name??

When I went in to get my license, they said I could wait to change my registration until I renewed my plates the next time (July). As for title, I never really asked, but I just left it in my maiden name. If you change it, would there be a fee involved for that? 
  • I sent straight from the SSA to the DMV as well, on May 1, 2009. It took me three times as long at the DMV than it did at the SSA.

Vally, that's jacked up about the DMV. FL needs to get updated!

• Well Indiana is getting these new drivers licenses, not sure if its nationwide.  But I know I will have to take my marriage license, SS card, birth cert. and a bill for my address on it. 

Dani-  I guess I will take in my car registration because I assumed they would have to change that. 
  • I know! I even printed out the page from their web site with the wrong info so I can be all IN YO' FACE! But hey at least I get to leave work a little early so I can't complain... too much.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:01b0e836-3658-434a-ac5a-d68c2bdc43cd">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well Indiana is getting these new drivers licenses, not sure if its nationwide.  But I know I will have to take my marriage license, SS card, birth cert. and a bill for my address on it.  Dani-  I guess I will take in my car registration because I assumed they would have to change that. 

Ew - we just got new driver's licenses in Ohio and they're pink.  They are so super ugly! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_update-social-security-office?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5f819401-24b3-450e-8017-9c011e7b4f9cPost:0198f9cb-1ad0-46e6-bef1-1bc0388e2f37">Re: Update- Social Security office</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Update- Social Security office : Ew - we just got new driver's licenses in Ohio and they're pink.  They are so super ugly! 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

oh ours are pink too!  When I moved from PA, they made me take the written test to get a Indiana license, and it was pink.  With these new licenses, they are still pink but you arent allowed to smile and if you wear glasses you have to take them off. 
  • edited April 2010
    I went to college and worked in Indiana. Once, I got into a verbal spar with a co-worker because I kept saying I needed to go to the IL DMV to update my license when I turned 21. She kept arguing that it was called the BMV, not the DMV, and was trying to make fun of me in front of everyone in the salon. Hello, woman, IL and IN are two different states.
    7/10/10 imageDandy
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards