Wedding Etiquette Forum

Calling all Jews

I just found out my wedding is on Yom Kippur! I planned my wedding a year and a half in advance. I booked my hall, my caterer, my dj, my transportation, photographer and videographer. 

Well, I am half Jewish (obviously not a good Jew being that I didn't realize). My dad is not at all religious and doesn't fast. BUT my grandmother IS. She is not coming to the wedding anymore because she has to go to HER temple (going to one in the town we are getting married is not acceptable). I totally understand it's a religious thing ad she is very close to her temple and has a memorial to my Grandfather there.

I am not very close to her. She always lived far away and was never good at keeping in contact with me, but I do feel bad that she can't come. So, I contacted all my vendors to see if they can change the date. My photographer was not available to make the move. I already laid down a hefty deposit for him and had my engagement pictures done. 

Am I horrible for keeping my date? I tried to accomodate her as much as possible. I tried to change the date (photog not available), I moved my rehearsal dinner the night before earlier so she can still eat before sundown and my food at my wedding won't be served until after sundown. 

When I emailed her to tell her I was contacting my vendors to see if they can  change, she didn't even email me back. I just feel like I tried to bend over backwards to allow her to attend and her not answering me makes me feel like she isn't even thankful that I was trying to change my whole wedding b/c of her. At this point, I'm thinking I should just accept she isn't going to be there and keep things the way they are. 

5 of my close girlfriends are observing the holdiay too, but are ok with skipping services that weekend. They will be fasting (but like I said my food will be served after break fast) so they will be able to eat at the wedding. 

Sorry for this being so long

Re: Calling all Jews

• How many other Jewish people are you inviting?  How religous are they?

I'm not Jewish, but even I know having a wedding at Yom Kippur is like a Catholic having a wedding on Good Friday.... It's just not appropriate.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Honestly?  I would never have a wedding on one of the holiest days of the year for the Jewish faith.  My more pious relatives fast on Yom Kippur and spend most of the day praying at home or at their temple.  It's a little disrespectful, if you ask me.
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • You have time to change your date right?  The holidays are over and won't be for another year.  I think you are asking for a lot of grief if you don't.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My dad is Jewish but I was raised Catholic by my mom- but the three of us, in all reality, are really nothing religion wise. My grandmother is the only jewish relative invited. I have 5 or so Jewish girlfriends who will be fasting but not attending services. One of them was in Argentina this past Yom Kippur- so I know she will be fine with it. 

I didn't consciously decide to have my wedding on the holiday. I just found out like a week ago.  
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    I'm not Jewish, but...

Sounds like you are having *a few* guests who are Jewish, so I would really try to move it. It is rude to plan a wedding on a religious holiday.  It is your bad planning, so please try to fix it. I can see why your grandmother is mad at you. I'm sure she wants to be at your wedding, but your bad planning is preventing it. I can understand why she is mad.

*edit: Mine posted after yours. Having only a few Jewish guests doesn't change my opinion.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Also, a year isn't enough time to find new vendors. My DJ was also booked (forgot to mention). I am getting married in a very popular resort town- things are already booked through 2012 at some places. My profile is fake- I didn't put my real date, real name, etc. btw
  • You asked for opinions, and you just had five people tell you their opinion was you should try to change your date.  Now you are giving reasons why you can't change it.  Do you already have your mind made up on this?

Your grandmother can't come if you have it on Yom Kippur.  Your grandmother.  If you switch the date, your photographer can't come.  You are willing to pick your photographer over your grandmother?
    Abigail Rose, EDD 6/8/13 BabyFetus Ticker

Nose Job Blog
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:2c4cdaa5-3421-4017-8bf9-8ba4b5e8aa3d">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not Jewish, but... Sounds like you are having several/ lots of guests who are Jewish, so I would really try to move it. It is rude to plan a wedding on a religious holiday.  It is your bad planning, so please try to fix it. I can see why your grandmother is mad at you. I'm sure she wants to be at your wedding, but your bad planning is preventing it. I can understand why she is mad.
    Posted by redheadfsu[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Also, It was in NO way my "bad planning". My dad might be Jewish, but I am not. My friends who are Jewish didn't even realize it was Yom Kippur because it's not like they have their 2011 calendars in front of them. My dad AND my grandma knew the date when I planned it and neither of them realized either. I didn't think to look for it because I don't observe. I thought Yom Kippur usually falls in September. </div><div>If I was really Jewish and had a big Jewish family that were all attending, then yes- poor planning. But, like I said, I was raised Catholic and have only my Grandma that is effected by this. </div>
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:51ca6cae-dc78-4015-bba2-f261e184b2c1">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Jews : Also, It was in NO way my "bad planning". My dad might be Jewish, but I am not. My friends who are Jewish didn't even realize it was Yom Kippur because it's not like they have their 2011 calendars in front of them. My dad AND my grandma knew the date when I planned it and neither of them realized either. I didn't think to look for it because I don't observe. I thought Yom Kippur usually falls in September.  If I was really Jewish and had a big Jewish family that were all attending, then yes- poor planning. But, like I said, I was raised Catholic and have only my Grandma that is effected by this. 
    Posted by MommyMarta08[/QUOTE]

Still I would pick my GRANDMOTHER over my DJ & photographer any day.

*edit: maybe this is because all my grandparents have passed away & I miss them.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Only you can decide if having your wedding on Yom Kippur is worth not having certain guests at your wedding..

Personally for me, having grandma and knowing 5 of my best friends were jewish I would have taken that into consideration before booking..   (Even as a non-Jewish person I know that Yom Kippur is in mid-to-late Sept sometimes as late as early Oct. , so yes I would have figured it out long before I booked.) 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You are asking your bridesmaids to skip services to go your wedding? I would be horrified at that. Also, they are going to be upset (even if they tell you they are okay with that- its the holiest day of the year for us) and tired and crabby and hungry all day. Is that really the kind of wedding party you want?

You aren't inviting any family members on your dads side? You say that your grandma is the only Jewish one you invited so you must not be inviting your dads family. Just because they don't go to services every week does not mean they will skip Yom Kippur services. My dad goes to shul 4 times a year- his parents yahrzheits, rosh hashana and yom kippur. And he is pretty not religious. But they will still pick services.

Move the date. You are being disrespectful to everyone Jewish at the wedding by doing this. Find a new photographer and move the date.
    Anniversary image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:6692f003-ff40-46a0-b9f1-7b578ac02944">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]You asked for opinions, and you just had five people tell you their opinion was you should try to change your date.  Now you are giving reasons why you can't change it.  Do you already have your mind made up on this? Your grandmother can't come if you have it on Yom Kippur.  Your grandmother.  If you switch the date, your photographer can't come.  You are willing to pick your photographer over your grandmother?
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]
    Listen to KKate.  Do you want advice or sympathy?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:6692f003-ff40-46a0-b9f1-7b578ac02944">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your grandmother can't come if you have it on Yom Kippur.  Your grandmother.  If you switch the date, your photographer can't come.  You are willing to pick your photographer over your grandmother?
    Posted by KentuckyKate[/QUOTE]

This is very well said OP.
    Anniversary image
  • I know how bad it sounds about picking my date over my grandma- I know. I guess I have some anger towards her because she hasn't been the best grandma throughout my life. She has never taken much of a role- never called me, visited me, etc. She knew the date and never said anything about it being Yom Kippur until I brought it up to her. She hasn't taken an active roll in the wedding and she hasn't even responded to the email I sent her telling her I was contacting all my vendors to try to change the date- it just seemed like she didn't think it was a big deal she was missing it. 

I'm thinking why should I try to change EVERYTHING I''ve planned so meticulously for the past year if she can't even respond to my email saying thank you for trying to change everything for me. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:ee648e94-4171-42e3-a5c8-b6766c729aa9">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know how bad it sounds about picking my date over my grandma- I know. I guess I have some anger towards her because she hasn't been the best grandma throughout my life. She has never taken much of a role- never called me, visited me, etc. She knew the date and never said anything about it being Yom Kippur until I brought it up to her. She hasn't taken an active roll in the wedding and she hasn't even responded to the email I sent her telling her I was contacting all my vendors to try to change the date- it just seemed like she didn't think it was a big deal she was missing it.  I'm thinking why should I try to change EVERYTHING I''ve planned so meticulously for the past year if she can't even respond to my email saying thank you for trying to change everything for me. 
    Posted by MommyMarta08[/QUOTE]

To be honest, Yom Kippur is like Easter, it changes every year.  I bet most Christians can not tell you a year in advance when Easter is going to fall, it's most likely the same with Jewish people  (actually I'm not even sure when Easter is in 2011 and it only 4 or so months away).  So that excuse does not fly with me.  Sorry.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:fc1daf2f-345c-42de-8acb-4cf876b8d56b">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are asking your bridesmaids to skip services to go your wedding? I would be horrified at that. Also, they are going to be upset (even if they tell you they are okay with that- its the holiest day of the year for us) and tired and crabby and hungry all day. Is that really the kind of wedding party you want? You aren't inviting any family members on your dads side? You say that your grandma is the only Jewish one you invited so you must not be inviting your dads family. Just because they don't go to services every week does not mean they will skip Yom Kippur services. My dad goes to shul 4 times a year- his parents yahrzheits, rosh hashana and yom kippur. And he is pretty not religious. But they will still pick services. Move the date. You are being disrespectful to everyone Jewish at the wedding by doing this. Find a new photographer and move the date.
    Posted by MrsMLRB[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't know my dad's family. He has a brother and sister who are invited but I already know arent coming (not because of the holiday). My dad didn't even know my wedding was on Yom Kippur and he is the Jewish parent. My wedding party is not affected. I said 5 close girlfriends- not my bridal party. They don't go to service every year. One of them was in Argentina this year for Yom Kippur. The only one effected by services is my grandma and I explained above why I am hesitant about  changing everythign for her. </div><div>
    </div><div>PP was right- after writing all this, I did make up my mind. I guess I didn't need advice, but thank you for all of your opinions. I would agree with all of you if I didn't know the back story that only I or my family could. 

</div>
  • edited October 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:7abd950a-e750-4980-a203-b28232eafcfe">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Jews : Still I would pick my GRANDMOTHER over my DJ & photographer any day. *edit: maybe this is because all my grandparents have passed away & I miss them.

I would've given anything if my grandparents could've been at my wedding.  However, not everyone has a close relationship (or even any relationship at all) with their grandparents. At that point, I think the relationship is on par with any other extended family member that you never see.  Would you bend over backwards for that second cousin or great aunt that you haven't met in 5 years?  Probably not. 

That being said, however, your bridesmaids are supposed to be your nearest and dearest friends. And you have 5 of them skipping services on an extremely important holiday.  If not privately annoyed, they'll be hungry, tired, and crabby. I'd try harder to switch the date, if this were me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:e4f47e57-3186-4c5d-b255-ac1370a99387">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]If it were me, I would change your date- find another photographer. It is surprising to me that noone mentioned to you (if your girlfriends are so close and observant) that it was Yom Kippur. I'm not sure exactly when you have your wedding planned for <strong>(the date in your bio doesn't correlate to Yom Kippur I</strong> <strong>believe</strong>), but as it is a fall celebration, it seems like you have plenty of time to find another photographer. While people may be willing to skip Yom Kippur for you, I think it would be better for you to switch your date. If it was for a different reason, I would not suggest this, but because you are half-Jewish, I presume a large part of your guest list will have to make that choice, and it would be better for everyone if you moved your date.
    Posted by mrs.jesse[/QUOTE]

I just looked at the 2012 calendar and Yom Kippur falls on Sept 26th.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i dont think you need to move it.  those who wish to observe yom kippur should, and you just need to be respectful if folks decide to miss yoru wedding because of it.  i would maybe give your 5 close friends thept out as well.

i am amazed though that your dad never said anything when you booked. 
  • I personally dont think you should move it either, if you would end up losing a ton of money to do so I dont see that as very practical. If someone cant come, then they cant come, that happens with EVERY wedding. People sometimes just have other obligations or events they have to attend. Accept that some people cant make it.
  • My friends are not religious enough for them to skip the wedding. They are fasting but that's it. They are not upset. Even my non-Jewish friends are fasting so they can stuff their faces at my wedding with less guilt haha. 

My grandma and I aren't very close. My other grandparents and I are super close and I would have changed my wedding YEAR for them, but it just isn't like that with my Jewish grandma and me. She missed a lot of events in my life- voluntarily and having nothing to do with faith. 

Also, my wedding is 2011 (october 8) not 2012 (for the person who said sept 26 above) 
  • it sounds like really only grandma is bent out of shape, and she's not close to yu anyway.  i wouldnt move it.

• MommyMarta08MommyMarta08 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    Thank you all for your opinions. My situation is just too complicated to explain to et accurate opinions and I realized this after posting. I am with most of you in changing anything for my grandparents to be there BUT with this particular grandparent I just don't feel the same obligation. I tried- it's not like I didn't. I would lose thousands of dollars in deposits for the change and I just can't do it. I will still send her an invitation, maybe she will change her mind or speak to her rabbi about it. You never know... 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:7abd950a-e750-4980-a203-b28232eafcfe">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling all Jews : Still I would pick my GRANDMOTHER over my DJ & photographer any day. *edit: maybe this is because all my grandparents have passed away & I miss them.

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, there are TWO Jewish holidays in September/October. You'd think it would cross your mind at some point, having Jewish relatives and all. So yes, it IS your fault and your bad planning.</div><div>
    </div><div>And many people plan their weddings in less than a year. I'm not buying that no one is available. You might not get your first choice of vendors, but oh well. That's life. I refuse to believe there's NO photographer or DJ available any other weekend next fall within 60 miles of your area.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:a4ad6ef8-96b4-46bb-afa7-d0a70ee246d7">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friends are not religious enough for them to skip the wedding. They are fasting but that's it. They are not upset. Even my non-Jewish friends are fasting so they can stuff their faces at my wedding with less guilt haha.  My grandma and I aren't very close. My other grandparents and I are super close and I would have changed my wedding YEAR for them, but it just isn't like that with my Jewish grandma and me. She missed a lot of events in my life- voluntarily and having nothing to do with faith.<strong>  Also, my wedding is 2011 (october 8) not 2012 (for the person who said sept 26 above) 
    </strong>Posted by MommyMarta08[/QUOTE]

<strong>Your bio says April 4, 2012</strong>. This is what is confusing people. I said Yom Kippur in 2012 is Sept 26th. This is where the confusion is coming in, so theres that. As far as advice I agree with Nebb.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm Jewish, not remotely religious, don't attend services, and rarely actually fast on Yom Kippur -- and I still wouldn't attend your wedding if it was on Yom Kippur, even if it was after breaking of the fast. I will be spending that evening with my family as I always do. Even though I'm not religious, Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish year.

If you were not Jewish and didn't know any Jewish people, I would think you were simply ignorant, but realize it wasn't a factor for you so whatever. But since you have Jewish family and apparently several Jewish friends, I think it's ignorant and disrespectful. As a guest, I'd send my decline.

BTW, your situation really doesn't sound all that complicated. You don't like your grandmother and don't care if she's there. I guess that's your perogative. But all the excuses are really lame.
  • she isnt even close to her grandma.

i didnt even INVITE my grandparents to my wedding.  they are estranged.

but i do agree that she shoudl have had some general awareness of yom kippur OR her father should have if he's jewish.

what's done is done.
  • I have to agree that part of good planning is breaking out the calendar, not just picking a date that sounds nice.  When we picked a date, we took into account our siblings' and my bridesmaids' school schedules, among other things. 

We also used the lunar calendar that my FI's religion uses - part of that was to determine an auspicious date, but part of it was also to see what were good days to get married and what ones weren't.  FI's religion also has a lot of fast days, and we wouldn't have chosen to hold a celebration on any one of them.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_calling-jews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:5fcf0604-0f02-493e-b1f0-9a5de86393b6Post:4ee447fb-ec8c-476f-abb0-5f15898aa680">Re: Calling all Jews</a>:
    [QUOTE]she isnt even close to her grandma. i didnt even INVITE my grandparents to my wedding.  they are estranged. but i do agree that she shoudl have had some general awareness of yom kippur OR her father should have if he's jewish. what's done is done.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]
    how is it done?  She has like a year left to replan stuff.  I planned my wedding in 8 months! 

I think you should change your wedding date.
  • i just dont think she shoudl change her date to accomodate one person...one person that she seems to have very little of a relationship with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards