Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Change of Plans

Sooo...thank you all for your advice last week. I have decided to increase the food budget, but it is still a low budget, so I have enlisted family to help as some of you suggested. I asked FI's mom to do a pasta dish, my aunt and uncle to do a veggie side dish, and my sister to do a chicken dish.

Everyone is on board except my sister. She says since she is a bridesmaid she won't have time. I told her that, EXACTLY, as a bridesmaid she is supposed to help me. I honestly don't really care if the chicken dish is absent, but I'm really bothered by how thoughtless she is being.

I guess I should ask now, is a pasta bake, seafood bruschetta and probably ratatouille enough food to constitute a dinner? If not, I will ask someone else to do a chicken dish for people who are maybe allergic to seafood or offended by pasta.

You all gave me a lot to think about last week...thanks so much for your brutal but always appreciated advice.

Re: Change of Plans

• Options
    Actually, if your sister has declined you need to say "thanks" and move on.  She's well within her rights to decline, regardless of the reason, and is under no obligation to help you, BM or not.

I'm glad you'll be including more food, but usually the only time you should ask someone to help out is if they'd offered previously.
  • Options
    i think in this particular instance its ok that she asked some folks to help.  she's really got no choice at this point based on the thread from the other day AND family was already helping her with some food things.   im guessing at least immediate family will be more than willing to help rather than have embarassment via association with an under food-funded wedding.  many people today often assume the bride's parents/family host and pay even if that really isnt the case.  if my daughter was planning to do what OP orignally planned, then ild probably step in an offer money or food to help avoid embarrassment for the family.
  • Options
    I ditto Calyso.

But also agree the your sister was within her rights to decline making chicken.     Chicken for 220 is NOT cheap.  Pasta and veggies costs next to nothing compared to chicken.

While I think it was okay to ask for help, asking for your sister do to a meat dish is a little much.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Having the three dishes should be plenty filling, so I'm glad to see you came around on that front.

However, you need to appologize to your sister. She doesn't have to cook for your wedding and she had every right to decline your request. Maybe someone else will volunteer (not volun-told) and if not, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

Another suggestion, if you are still worried about food is a lettuce salad. You can throw those together easy and cheaply in a big bowl, and offer different kinds of dressings. Or, if pressed for time, get a large order from a carry our pizza place.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:75b29e65-50fd-4f69-a079-c272c282af8f">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]Having the three dishes should be plenty filling, so I'm glad to see you came around on that front. However, you need to appologize to your sister. She doesn't have to cook for your wedding and she had every right to decline your request. Maybe someone else will volunteer (not volun-told) and if not, then I'm sure you'll be fine. Another suggestion, if you are still worried about food is a lettuce salad. You can throw those together easy and cheaply in a big bowl, and offer different kinds of dressings. Or, if pressed for time, get a large order from a carry our pizza place.
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

The addition of the salad would be nice!

OP - just make sure you have enough for everyone. If you have just one plate of pasta, the people at the back of the line who don't get any will be miffed. But, as long as you have enough to go around, sounds lovely!
  • Options
    So, you are asking your family members to be unpaid vendors? Do they have the requisite knowledge in food safety? Do they have the refrigerator space for storing all the food, both before and after it is cooked? Do you plan to also ask them to serve at the reception? Because I'm sure it is every MOG's DREAM to spend her son's wedding reception heating up food, carrying it to and from wherever it is being heated, cleaning up any spills in the dress she bought for the occasion...are you getting my point yet?
  • Options
    They are my family and they are all perfectly happy to help because they LOVE us. They are aware of food safety, they are not idiots and will not poison the food. FI's mom will not have to work the reception, we had already hired serving staff for the bruschetta and they are willing to take on the other dishes. I'll be sure to have more than enough for all guests. Damn, you all are some demanding broads! Holy goldfish.
  • Options
    Do they have enough refrigerator space? Do you have access to enough oven space to get everything heated in a timely fashion? Seriously, I have 2 complete kitchens in my house, and there is NO WAY I have enough room to store the amount of food required for 220, nor get it all heated up. And as far as being a demanding broad, I'm trying to help you out by pointing out some pitfalls that you may not have considered. You seem to be a bit shortsighted on the logistics here.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:9a2fd8e4-54cd-4b1c-b725-7603aa53123c">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]They are my family and they are all perfectly happy to help because they LOVE us. They are aware of food safety, they are not idiots and will not poison the food. FI's mom will not have to work the reception, we had already hired serving staff for the bruschetta and they are willing to take on the other dishes. I'll be sure to have more than enough for all guests. Damn, you all are some demanding broads! Holy goldfish.
    Posted by Judell789[/QUOTE]
    I don't think anyone suggested that your family would poison the food, more the importance of not leaving food out at room temperature too long (especialy if you are having a buffet, you need to have some place to store all that food).  Since you want to have chicken, you need to make sure it is cooked properly, as you do not want any of your wedding guests getting food poisoning from undercooked chicken. 

Also if your sister or family is protesting being told what to bring to your wedding, leave them alone.  If someone told me to bring something to a wedding, and I was already in it or traveling, I would also say no.  I have never made food for more than 20ish people and can't even imagine trying to make something for 200.  It isn't as easy as you might think
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    SlothGoalsSlothGoals member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited September 2012
    While I applaud the fact that you've come around since your last thread, my only concerns are the amount of food that your family will be able to make and the storage of said food until the dinner part of your reception begins. I think that you need to reconsider having your family make it.

You say that you have increased your food budget, where is that money going if your family is making the food? How much is your budget per person now? I would still look into having it catered.

ETA: spelling/grammar
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    You guys don't know my sister. she would expect the same from me but refuses to do it herself. She cooks tuna tartare for her cat but can't cook some chicken for a few wedding guests? If she doesn't comply I'm thinking I might kidnap her cat to teach her a lesson.
  • Options
    For all of you worried about the storage space, please don't. My father is an undertaker and can get us access to a rather large fridge.
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2012
    Cooking tuna tartar for one cat is a hell of a lot different then cooking chicken for 220 people.  Just saying.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:fbe7ea72-5238-4344-8e40-fd3746d3de08">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]For all of you worried about the storage space, please don't. My father is an undertaker and can get us access to a rather large fridge.
    You aren't seriously thinking of storing food in the same fridge as dead bodies?!?

Oh and I hope you aren't serious about kidnapping your sister's cat.  The more you try to push your sister to help the more you will push her away.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    all right.  Now I know this is MUD.
  • Options
    Wow OP you must have nothing better to do than to come on here and try to get these ladies all riled up, because there is NO WAY this is real. I read the thread from last week and have come to the conclusion that no one really acts like this! (dear lord I hope not) Lets all hope that this person isn't even really getting married, because she obviously has a lot to learn. Good luck
  • Options
    This has to be MUD.  Come on.  Storing food with dead bodies?  I don't think so.
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:c6c13035-7b1b-4cfc-8140-9c2e2dffe30b">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys don't know my sister. she would expect the same from me but refuses to do it herself. She cooks tuna tartare for her cat but can't cook some chicken for a few wedding guests? If she doesn't comply I'm thinking I might kidnap her cat to teach her a lesson.

<div>It would be different to cook chicken as it actually involves cooking, where tuna tartare does not.</div><div>
    </div><div>But yeah, I believe it's a MUD</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    squeee! Judell is back! Hang on imma need some popcorn. Dead body fridges, oh boy!
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah - MUD for sure.

And I don't know why I'm responding but how about meats from costco?  Chicken or ham?  Have a carving station.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I didn't know people actually still called women broads.  My vote for creepy old guy in his tighty whities goes to Judell. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:c6c13035-7b1b-4cfc-8140-9c2e2dffe30b">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]You guys don't know my sister. she would expect the same from me but refuses to do it herself. She cooks tuna tartare for her cat but can't cook some chicken for a few <strong>hundred</strong> wedding guests? If she doesn't comply I'm thinking I might kidnap her cat to teach her a lesson.

FTFY
  • Options
    This is not fake. Yes, people really do act like this because weddings are important and I will do what it takes to make it work.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:feb82061-2ec7-4bfb-b617-6ebab50b515b">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is not fake. Yes, people really do act like this because weddings are important and I will do what it takes to make it work.

Correction: You will do what it takes to make it work as long as you don't have to be the one to do or sacrifice anything. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    courtski2004courtski2004 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:feb82061-2ec7-4bfb-b617-6ebab50b515b">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is not fake. Yes, people really do act like this because weddings are important and<strong> I will do what it takes to make it work</strong>.

Well then, winner winner, you make 220 chicken dinners.
  • Options
    You know for 220 you need at least 110lbs of chicken right?   Say you pay $2 lb for chicken, thats $220.   

Then cooking 110+ lbs of chicken is not real easy in a typical family kitchen.  

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_change-of-plans-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:61279043-51f0-4bb8-acf9-aae8199a32b3Post:73a7ae40-867e-4b10-a056-90ca5aab4d80">Re: Change of Plans</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Change of Plans : Well then, winner winner, you make 220 chicken dinners.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

FTW.

• Options
    is the hearse gonna deliver the food to the site?  LOL!
    this is MUD now, but its been fun.

love, Cyclopse
  • Options
    What's the difference between MUD and a troll?  I know MUD=Made up drama, but isn't that the same as trolling?  Or is there a nuance I'm missing?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    In Response to Re:Change of Plans:What's the difference between MUD and a troll? nbsp;I know MUDMade up drama, but isn't that the same as trolling? nbsp;Or is there a nuance I'm missing? Posted by missfrodo MUD is more of a tool that a troll may use to draw posts. It is just one approach, of which Judell is a master. I seriously admire her hilarious approach, and get vast amounts of entertainment from it.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards