Hi girls. FI and I are eloping in Central America for a variety of reasons:
- He, his family and friends live in Canada
- My family and friends are spread across the US
- My parents are going through a very messy divorce
- This is my second wedding (but his first)
- My first wedding stressed me out more than my divorce
We want to have very casual receptions, like a BBQ in Texas, a backyard gtg in Phoenix, and a corn roast in Canada.
Our delimma is how do we handle gifts? We'll be living in Canada after the wedding and although I have an entire house outfitted in the US, the cost to bringing it over is more than it's worth. I was planning on selling most of my things, which would also allow us to start fresh as a couple (so many of my thihngs are from my first marriage).
So should we or should we not fill out a registry? We wouldn't advertise it in the reception invitations but if people ask then there is a place for them to see our tastes. This way we can hopefully minimize receiving things we don't need/want or that totally isn't our taste - like Aunt Barbara's purple paisley dishes.