Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

How to let guests know about pre-ceremony cocktail party?

My wedding is at half past seven in the evening, but (because everyone in my family always goes to weddings and whines about how hungry they are throughout the whole ceremony and cocktail hour,) we're having a pre-ceremony cocktail & hors d'ouevres.

My questions is how do I tell guest that the event starts at six, but the actual ceremony isn't until 7:30 (for ppl who have to get babysitters and such)?
"So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
- all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How to let guests know about pre-ceremony cocktail party?

• Options
    Why not just put it on the invitation... like:

6:00pm Cocktail Hour
    7:30pm Ceremony
    8:30pm Reception
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-to-let-guests-know-about-pre-ceremony-cocktail-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:631ed99c-b108-49ef-bef7-a92e2f126564Post:de5e9bd6-afc3-4b7c-8c93-75894658bee9">Re: How to let guests know about pre-ceremony cocktail party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why not just put it on the invitation... like: 6:00pm Cocktail Hour 7:30pm Ceremony 8:30pm Reception
    Posted by melanieky[/QUOTE]

I agree.

You can also have the invitation say the wedding time and all that jazz, but at the bottom say "Please join us for a pre-ceremony cocktail hour beginning at 6pm."

Thank you for letting guests know.  We went to a wedding where they didn't let us know, we raced like crazy trying to get there on time, skipped eating before we left because we were so backed up in NYC traffic, and then we walked into a cocktail hour.  Ceremony didn't begin for another hour.  The time on the invitation was for this magic cocktail hour.  I was pissed.
  • Options
    I think we may attend, actually. Perhaps not at the same time, but my parents are trying to get us to do a first look so either way, he'll be there and so will I.
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    what if you put the info on an insert card and your website?
  • Options

PP's have already given great suggestions for invitation wording so I won't add to that...I'll just agree.

I did want to say that this is a really nice idea and very considerate of the guests!  I've been to weddings where people around me complained about how hungry they were before the ceremony and right after (before cocktail hour).  Now...when I see that a wedding starts at 6 (or 7 or whenever lol) I make sure I eat a little something before that BUT thats just me. hahaha  I do think this is a really nice idea though.  I'm sure your guests will really appreciate it!  Smile

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_how-to-let-guests-know-about-pre-ceremony-cocktail-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:631ed99c-b108-49ef-bef7-a92e2f126564Post:de5e9bd6-afc3-4b7c-8c93-75894658bee9">Re: How to let guests know about pre-ceremony cocktail party?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why not just put it on the invitation... like: 6:00pm Cocktail Hour 7:30pm Ceremony 8:30pm Reception
    Posted by melanieky[/QUOTE]

<div>Our invitations say preception at 2:30, ceremony at 3:30, followed by locatoion [venue 1], then "receptioning following", followed by location [venue 2]. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards