Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Court house wedding

I was wondering what happens when getting married at a court house. I've heard many brides wear their wedding gowns and all that, but that seems so strange to me! My FI and I may need to go that direction, but I've spent so much on a fancy wedding gown, my FI did the same with a really nice suit. What happens during this kind of ceremony? Do people really show up in wedding finery to the court?? I don't want to feel out of place or on display and trying to take my shoes off to get through the metal detector would be a show in itself, lol. Any advice from you ladies would be much appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Court house wedding

• Options
    I considered a courthouse wedding (though we're not doing that), and no way would I show up in a full on bridal gown. A simple white dress, sure--but at all nothing like I'm wearing at our ceremony. That said, I'm sure you can wear whatever you want--but I'd check with the courthouse as to how many people can observe/attend the civil ceremony. They may not have room to fit more than a dozen or so people, depending on the setup.
  • Options
    I would be too bashful to do it, since I would feel like everyone was looking at me, but if you've already got the dress, why not? You're still a bride, you're just getting married at a courthouse!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    beardownbchsbeardownbchs member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I used to work at the courthouse and when the weather was nice we would sit outside on our lunches and breaks and watch the people getting married. Way more often than not, they were dressed in normal, nicer attire. Not that my opinion is correct, but we'd always laugh a little at the people in full-on gowns with trains and bouquets and matching bridesmaids and such. If I were getting married at the courthouse, I'd wear a nice sundress or something along those lines. 

ETA: Aside from my judgy pants, I think that if you want to wear the dress, wear the dress. If you're confident, who gives a siht about other people. You're not hurting anyone by wearing the dress.
  • Options
    You could do it himym style and have a jop like ceremony but not at the court house. Perhaps some place special to you where you might feel comfortable wearing your wedding gown but still do a small less formal private wedding.
  • Options
    I think you should just go ahead and wear it, if you decide to go that way. I agree with Lilphillips...you're still a bride!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Besides the courthouse look into the cost of having a JOP come to your house or a park if you feel uncomfortable getting married in the courhouse itself. Also I think Colorado is one of the states that allows a self uniting marraige license no officiant needed. This is also something you can look into. 
  • Options
    I saw a girl in a giant white dress at the court house just this week while I was there picking up my marriage license. Wear anything you want!
  • Options
    I like SM's idea of having someone come to you to do it in a more private setting so you can wear your bridal gown!

If you go to the courthouse, wear what makes you feel like it's your wedding day. You'll never see those people again.
  • Options
    My husband and I were planning on a full out wedding and life happened. We each purchased full out wedding gear. We googled officiants in our area and just emailed all them and just hired one to come to us so we could still wear our gear and have great photos. It was 150 and she let up "customize" our vows so it was so much more meaningful. I would highly recommend this.
  • Options
    We went to bars as well and didn't feel side eyed. People actually bought us drinks and celebrated with us. Wear what you bought OP and wear it with confidence. No one will second guess you. They'll either be jealous or happy for you
  • Options
    Thank you ladies, you give some great ideas and support! We had a DW planned but like a previous poster said, life happened and a great new job opportunity just threw a wrench in those plans :/ I will think on it and decide what to do, but I think I may be leaning more toward having someone come to us! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    One of the most fun weddings I went to was a JOP in a city park and then the 25 of us got on a party bus, had food her boss at the bar let her bring in (light apps), got back on the party bus and bar jumped and yes the bride wore a full on bridal dress. Se said the wole shindig was around $1000 the bus being the most expensive item.
  • Options
    I'm having a wedding out the local council house, and I was also a little bit concerned about wearing a long wedding dress because I felt like I would look out of place. I googled photos of city hall and court house weddings, and a lot of folks were wearing traditional wedding attire. So, I went ahead and bought a long lace dress with a small train. It's your day; wear what you want and don't worry about feeling out of place because of your dress.
  • Options
    I say go ahead and wear the big dress if you want to. I've seen other people do that before. It's the only time you get to be the "bride", so wear the traditional gown if that's what you feel comfortable in. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My FI and I are going to the courthouse for various reasons and I'm planning on getting a wedding dress (nothing poofy, no train).. either floor-length and flowy or tea length.  I still want to look and feel like a bride. 

Just because you're not having a traditional wedding doesn't mean you can't/shouldn't feel like a bride!  It's still your wedding day!  :)

• Options
    ARM92ARM92 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    2 of my friends wore short white wedding dresses to their elopements but my mother apparently wore a romper and my dad was in jeans.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I live right near the Borough Hall in Queens, New York City, where weddings take place all the time.  People do come dressed up, although brides do tend to wear simpler, streamlined dresses as opposed to ball gowns.  There are even photographers who come with props specifically to take wedding pictures of couples and their guests behind the Hall (although right now there's construction going on there so it's not as nice as in prior years), but especially in the spring when the cherry trees are in bloom, it can be gorgeous.
  • Options
    TiaTeaTiaTea member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    It's a matter of attitude and confidence.
    I've seen people getting married in big puffy ball gowns at  unusual places, including a busy downtown street, with all the onlookers and traffic jam. Also at a not so nice metro station with all the graffity as a back drop. The stark contrast between the WP and everything else made it look rather artistic.
    If you can do it with confidence - go for it.
  • Options
    Wear the dress.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I like the idea of hiring a JOP to come to you!  Wear your dress!!!
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would wear the dress!  Who cares what anyone thinks?  It's your wedding whether in a church, beach, park or courthouse so you can wear whatever you want.
  • Options
    Wear whatever you want. I went to a Nine Inch Nails concert several years ago, and a couple showed up in their wedding finery (gown and suit). The bride had taken her veil off, but she still had the headband in her hair. They put on some glow necklaces and danced the night away. We were in the "lawn" section, so lots of people brought them beer and stuff. It was great, and no one gave them a weird look. Most people smiled, waved, woo-hoo'd, etc.
  • Options
    I would wear the gown. You've already spent the money. You're never going to get a 100% refund for it. And frankly, it's your wedding day. Why should you have to mellow your expectations of what you want to look like just because you are courthousing it? I'd rock out my gown with no shame.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards