Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

TY cards for b-day presents?

Do you send thank you cards for birthday presents?  Or is a verbal or e-mail thank you sufficient?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: TY cards for b-day presents?

• Options
    edited December 2009
    Verbal or email TY. Unless it's your grandparents. I think friends and siblings would think I was weird and over-the-top if I sent a real TY note (sad, I know, but true).

And if you open it in front of them (like on Christmas), etiquette-wise, no TY note is necessary, anyway.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I send thank-you cards. But I'm a hoar when it comes to cards--I think they are a long forgotten form of communication these days---especially when email is easier and quicker.

In my mind, a card is always more thoughtful--but I suppose it depends on the gift, and the person.

Love,Rach (not Roxy)
  • Options
    Hand written thank you cards, but I am a stationary hoar.
  • Options
    I only send thank you cards to my grandpa because he's old fashioned and I never talk to him on the phone.  Everyone one else gets an in-person TY or a phone TY. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ty-cards-b-day-presents?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:65a0e304-59e3-4434-be40-d7d6b3c1be20Post:028398f8-cad3-4169-bc6d-0143da39a873">Re: TY cards for b-day presents?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Love,Rach (not Roxy)
    Posted by RachNRich[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, I think I've got it figured out now that I realized it was a problem.  :D
  • Options
    I recently received a TY card for a birthday gift. It was a nice change of pace. However, I think that a verbal TY is more than sufficient.
  • Options
    I always do verbal or email thank you's for christmas or birthday gifts.  Mom tried her damndest to grill writing thank you's into me, but it never stuck.  Maybe if I liked my handwriting better.
  • Options
    I usually send a ty note if the gift hasn't been given to me in person.  If my grandma gave it to me in person and I verbally thank you, that's enough.  If FMIL sent the gift along with FI, I send a ty note.
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

I send a TY note to my grandparents, but not parents, siblings or FH. I think I usually do for FMIL too.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My daughter is 6. She has gotten two ty cards for b-days presents. This was just last year when she was in kindergarten! I thought it was cute, but unessasry
  • Options
    The only time I sent out hand-written TYs for a birthday was for my 21st birthday. My mom had thrown a huge surprise party for me so I felt it was necessary Other then the big birthdays, though, I think a verbal TY is sufficient.
  • Options
    I usually receive them in person so I just thank them verbally. If it was sent to me, I'd probably email a thanks.

I have taken to sending TY cards for dinner parties and such and I love how they're always received with such pleasant surprise.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards