Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Pollish: Do you consider...

Subway to be fast food?
I'm trying to eat less fast food, but FI and I have been eating a lot of Subway recently. I always consider fast food to be something I would eat in the car, like McDonald's or Wendy's. I would have a hard time eating a messy sub in the car. But I would also consider it fast food because it's, well, fast.
Opinions?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pollish: Do you consider...

• Options
    It is fast food but it is relatively healthy if you do it right.  Meatball subs are not healthy.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    It worked for Jared.
  • Options
    I think it depends on the size and what kind of sub you have, keep in mind that a 12 inch sub generally has around 60g of carbs in it, which is a lot.
  • Options
    Just because it's fast doesn't mean it's not healthy.  You can even get things from McDonald's and Wendy's that are relatively healthy.
  • Options
    I would consider Subway fast food.  It's prepared fast, right.  Also, fast food is a general term to classify those types of restaurants and not the fat content of the food served there.

• Options
    Whoa nevermind... I was way off. a 12" sub would have around 100g of carbs. Good christ.
  • Options
    yea, it's food that you acquire quickly and doesn't involve waitresses, etc.

it just happens to be healthy fast food
  • Options
    yes I consider Subway fast food.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Are you trying to cut down on fast food or unhealthy food? There's a huge difference. As PP said, you can eat healthy at McD's, Wendy's, BK, etc. You just have to think outside the combos :)
  • Options
    After checking out the nutritional facts, youd honestly be better off buying a salad from mcD's with chicken in it and adding dressing youself. Im horrified by the amount of carbs in a sub, I did NOT knwo that.
  • Options

I also did not know the amount of carbs in the subs. Goodness.
    I am trying to cut down on unhealthy food, which would mean, for me, not eating fast food. If I go to McDonald's, there is no way I'm going to be getting a salad when those tasty little cheeseburgers are staring me in the face. I'm better off not going.

• Options
    Yeah but it's all about how you do it. For example, I went to McD's for lunch the other day. I got a 4 pc nug & apple dippers. You could also get a burger & apple dippers. Don't deprive yourself. Just be more aware of what you're putting into your body.
  • Options
    Willpower, its a wonderful thing. Some of their salads are quite fantastic and decent for you depending on the dressing and amount of cheese. Even if you get a small salad with a grilled chicken burger with no sauce on it, it isnt all that bad.
  • Options
    Well, carbs don't have to be terrible. The glycemic index of the carbs is most important, so it may be worth looking up fiber content in different buns, etc. would be good.

PPs are right--fast food can be healthy. But it *is* typically from chain restaurants that are franchised without giving the owners a realy financial stake in the business, the neighborhood, etc. So if you care about buying local, or organic, or supporting local businesses, etc. then Subway doesn't work.

[not being judgey above, I certainly don't buy local/organic all or even most of the time, just sharing a POV]
  • Options

Yeah, that's my problem. I have no willpower. I've eaten almost a whole cake in one day before... I did a lot better nutrition-wise when I wasn't living with my FI.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pollish-consider?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:65ba526a-9002-4242-b5cd-b1fa9f5f4b3fPost:eecce1e1-202d-4253-a805-26237ed6e69c">Re: Pollish: Do you consider...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, that's my problem. I have no willpower. I've eaten almost a whole cake in one day before... I did a lot better nutrition-wise when I wasn't living with my FI.
    Posted by BioGirl21[/QUOTE]

Why is is that boys love to eat crap? I've never had this much junk in my house!
  • Options
    It's fast food.

I think you're confusing "Healthy/Unhealthy" with "fast food."  It's ok.  A lot of people do.

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Yes it's fast food. Fast food doesn't have to be unhealthy.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If I said I was cutting out fast food, I wouldn't consider that to include Subway.  I always get the healthy subs at Subway though.  If you're getting the bad ones though, then yeah it's probably just as bad as a cheeseburger and fries.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_pollish-consider?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:65ba526a-9002-4242-b5cd-b1fa9f5f4b3fPost:95044527-cd2f-4352-bb80-9a488f342203">Re: Pollish: Do you consider...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, carbs don't have to be terrible. The glycemic index of the carbs is most important, so it may be worth looking up fiber content in different buns, etc. would be good. PPs are right--fast food can be healthy. But it *is* typically from chain restaurants that are franchised without giving the owners a realy financial stake in the business, the neighborhood, etc. So if you care about buying local, or organic, or supporting local businesses, etc. then Subway doesn't work. [not being judgey above, I certainly don't buy local/organic all or even most of the time, just sharing a POV]
    Posted by ac_in_dc[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying I don't eat at Subway every few weeks (there's one a block from my office) but that's the issue I have. Iceburg lettuce, imported tomatoes, HFCS in their sauces and their wheat bread isn't whole wheat - it's enriched, which is almost as bad as eating white flour.

I don't know that carbs are a huge issue as long as they're balanced with protein and a little fat, but at Subway you should be careful. The "7 under 6" are only that low in fat without cheese and without full-fat condiments. If you can stick to mustard or vinegar, you'll be good.

I also don't know that it would be better to do Subway everyday than to just pack your own sandwich on whole wheat bread with a piece of fruit, or take healthy dinner leftovers. Pre-planning lunches rather than grabbing something fast at lunch can make a huge difference.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options

Yes, I would consider it to be fast food. 

(no poll loaded for me, if there was one, but I would have selected yes if it had!).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards