Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Declining Catering Options

Hi Knotties!

We have met with 4 catering places and we now know who are top choice is. Partially it was the price, but mostly the unique/custom menu she made for us. At this point I would not even consider another option

What is the polite way of letting other catering places know we are no longer interested. I feel a bit awkward about it, a few places were very high and I let them know, but they all tend to come back with counter offers.

Suggestions? Do I have to call or email back at all?

Thanks!

Re: Declining Catering Options

• Options
    If you really want to contact them, I used :

Thank you so much for the time you took to meet with us.  After much research, we have decided to go in a different direction.

Good luck in your business,

Sincerely,

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_declining-catering-options?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:68436277-c459-4a35-932e-f118afa8d18dPost:1b227c52-9e5c-40a3-a315-b26ac24c7f96">Re: Declining Catering Options</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you really want to contact them, I used : Thank you so much for the time you took to meet with us.  After much research, we have decided to go in a different direction. Good luck in your business, Sincerely,
    Posted by kjhowd[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think I let any of my "not chosen" vendors know anything officially.  But if you feel like you should contact them, the wording KJ used above is great.</div>
  • Options
    A couple of the vendors that I met with did follow up after I had chosen another and I followed that up with a note similar to the one described above.  Honestly, unless you said that you would get back with them, I would let it slide until they contacted you. 
  • Options
    I, personally, didn't contact the non-chosen vendors at all.  They'll get the hint.
    May 2013 Brides February Siggy: Invites imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just generally didn't get back in touch with whatever vendors I chose not to use. If they contacted me to follow up I basically told them what KJ said.

I did have one potential vendor that went as far as to ask who I did pick and then said that I had basically ruined my reception by picking that DJ. I picked my DJ because he came highly recommended by a couple of friends/acquaintances who had used him and because we meshed well in our meetings and the price was right on budget. He did a great job and everyone was dancing and having a good time.
    Anniversary
  • Options

I did it because I did tell them I'd let them know one way or the other.  I also feel, and not judging anyone who doesn't, that it's good business practice.  My job sometimes requires me to plan meetings or cater things, if I maintain good relationships, I can go back and say "hey, remember me?".

A friend had a couple vendors that came back and asked who did you pick, some even asked why; personally I think that's sh!tty to do to a bride (or anyone).

• Options
    Thanks! I will use that verbiage. I was wary of them coming back and asking questions, but I think I will just say I am uncomfortable answering those types of questions or not reply at all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards