Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wedding Shower Inivte/Registry Wording

Hi ladies! FI & I have been living together in our own home for over 2 years and we don't feel comfortable registering for items we already have/don't need. We would like to register at Home Depot/Lowes because there are plenty of projects around the house we could work on. Unfortunately, neither of those stores have a registry. So my question is (well, actually, my mom's question is) how can we say "Since Renata & Sergio already began their lives together they aren't registering but would love giftcards from Home Depot"?? I don't want to sound like I'm asking for $ & I also don't want to say that I'm NOT registering b/c that sounds like I'm asking for money too!
Any help would be appreciated! TIA!

Re: Wedding Shower Inivte/Registry Wording

• edited May 2011
    Asking for gift cards is nearly the same as asking for money in my opinion.  Showers are for physical presents that you can tear ribbons off of and everyone will ooo and ahh.  Not so much with gift cards and checks.  If you only want money (and gift cards), I would decline showers.  

ETA: I don't know what kind of things you would want to buy at Home Depot and Lowe's, but you can register for tools at other stores (Sears, Amazon.com) and decorating items.  I think I've seen ladies here talk about registering at Restoration Hardware.  
  • There is no good way to ask for gift cards. Really, there isn't.

You can register at Sears or Amazon for tools and things like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ditto the others.

Register at Amazon and Sears rather than ask for gift cards. 
  • I personally don't think I need a shower... but my mom is driving me crazy with how friggin excited she is & my sister is flying in from California to celebrate. I don't have the heart to tell her she can't throw the shower. Undecided We would have registered for laminate flooring at HomeDepot/Lowes. I don't want to be rude... but saying, "Renata & Sergio are registering for Pergo Laminate Flooring in bla bla bla color" is weird, lol.
  • edited May 2011
    My understanding of the Home Depot registry is that it's only visible in the particular store that you were in when you registered.  Haven't tried it myself, but that's just what I've heard others say.  

If you don't want to get gifts (and either register or deal with lots of weird stuff and/or duplicates), tell your mom and sister how excited you are to celebrate with them and see if they can do a bridal tea or something.  When you say "shower," it's all about the gifts, and there's not really any polite way to get around physical gifts at a shower.  
  • Can you register for some "house project" items at a store that does have registries?  I mean, you can get paint, nails, tools, light fixtures, curtains, rugs, shelves, etc. at Walmart or Target.  Any Home Depot specific items you could still buy with any cash you do receive. 

However, you really can't use any new towels, sheets, pillows, etc.?  Fun items like camping gear, art work, waffle makers, or board games?  Fiance and I live together too but there are plenty of things we plan to register for.  Remember that registries do not need to be all toasters and blenders now a days.  I recommend checking out the registry board for ideas. 
  • I believer there is a website where you can create a Wish List and include items from stores. 

A friend of mine did have a gift card shower and she did put suggestions for where people could get gift cards to. I know some people do "Kitchen Showers" or "Liquor Showers" and they are all themed. Maybe have a "Home Improvement" themed shower and see what happens without directly asking for gift cards?
    Anniversary
  • Your bio says NJ, are you anywhere near Secaucus?

A friend of mine told me they do have a registry option there.  That's second hand info but check!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-shower-inivteregistry-wording?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:689bea9e-2183-4b84-ac2f-95cd9c67dd11Post:a1be319a-6b1f-4f3e-bd10-1638aa081e43">Re: Wedding Shower Inivte/Registry Wording</a>:
    [QUOTE]I believer there is a website where you can create a Wish List and include items from stores.  A friend of mine did have a gift card shower and she did put suggestions for where people could get gift cards to. I know some people do "Kitchen Showers" or "Liquor Showers" and they are all themed. Maybe have a "Home Improvement" themed shower and see what happens without directly asking for gift cards?
    Posted by KellyRVT[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what we did, because we are kind of in the same boat.  We need a lot of non-traditional thing and were actually considering registering at Lowes!  We are using <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel='nofollow'>www.uponourstar.com</a> and so far, it has gone off without a hitch.  I think it is nice to be able to add anything from anywhere really! </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards