Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Should guests pay for their dinner at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding?

My fiance has been told that wedding etiquette has changed and that it is not uncommon to ask guests at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding to pay for their own dinner. I've never heard of this before. What do you think?

Re: Should guests pay for their dinner at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding?

• Options
    Absolutely not!  I'm not sure who your FI heard that from - but you should host your guests at the RD and the wedding.  They should not have to open their wallets for anything.

• Options
    LizzyRBLizzyRB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    No way
  • Options
    Tacky is right.  I would be appalled if I was asked to pay for my mean as a guest at a wedding.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Was he joking?  Because... no. 
  • Options
    No way, Jose. Absolutely not!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    edited May 2012
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    No.  I really hope he was kidding.  If not, a quick search will let you cite a lot of etiquette books that say this is the biggest no-no ever.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    No.  They're GUESTS.  You are hosting them. 
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Absolutely not! I have never heard of this and as a guest I would be so appalled if I went to a wedding that asked me to pay for my own dinner. Do you ask guests to pay when you invite them over to a party at your house?! It's the same thing, you are the host and hostess.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_should-guests-pay-for-their-dinner-at-the-rehearsal-dinner-and-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:692ad844-6b45-4289-aba1-9dc310acbd9cPost:6e25276a-c01d-4f49-b8cf-0a9d2fc3e1b8">Should guests pay for their dinner at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Help!! My fiance has been told that wedding etiquette has changed and that it is not uncommon to ask guests at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding to pay for their own dinner. I've never heard of this before. It seems tacky.
    Posted by amiechoate[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    At risk of beating a dead horse, this belongs on the list of "things that are never ever under any circumstances ever okay."
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    Your FI needs to stop listening to whoever is telling him this crap! Obviously the answer is NO you do not make your guests pay for their dinner. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_should-guests-pay-for-their-dinner-at-the-rehearsal-dinner-and-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:692ad844-6b45-4289-aba1-9dc310acbd9cPost:6e25276a-c01d-4f49-b8cf-0a9d2fc3e1b8">Should guests pay for their dinner at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance has been told that wedding etiquette has changed and that it is not uncommon to ask guests at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding to pay for their own dinner. I've never heard of this before. What do you think?

No way! Do NOT ask your guests to do this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hope this is a joke....

In other words, THIS IS NOT, HAS NEVER BEEN, AND WILL NEVER BE AN ACCEPTABLE THING TO DO, EVER.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Find out who told him this so you can make sure he doesn't get any further advice from this ill mannered person!  Like the others said, there is absolutely NO time this is acceptable.
  • Options
    H actually had to pay for his dinner at a rehearsal dinner where he was the best man. And he didn't even know ahead of time- he found out when the waiter handed him his bill.  

He still hasn't quite gotten over the rudeness of that and it was 7-8 years ago.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I don't think it's ok. My brother and his now ex wife had to pay for their own dinner at their friends actual wedding! Now that is bad. The bride bought a 4,000 dollar dress but said she couldn't afford to feed her guests.
  • Options
    Your FI needs to buy those people an etiquette book.
  • Options
    Do you think maybe this was a misunderstanding and the fiancee meant that the cash gift  is equal to the price of your plate? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_should-guests-pay-for-their-dinner-at-the-rehearsal-dinner-and-at-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:692ad844-6b45-4289-aba1-9dc310acbd9cPost:6e25276a-c01d-4f49-b8cf-0a9d2fc3e1b8">Should guests pay for their dinner at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance has been told that wedding etiquette has changed and that it is not uncommon to ask guests at the rehearsal dinner and at the wedding to pay for their own dinner. I've never heard of this before. What do you think?

I have no doubt your FI has heard these things, but that doesn't mean it's right.  Yes, traditions are changing but etiquette has not.  Guests should not have to pay for anything, except maybe their parking (and that's up for debate), but definitely not their meals or beverages (hard or soft).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards