Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

ANOTHER food question

The events of the last few days have me wondering. We're having a buffet provided through our reception venue but they don't provide dessert. FI and I don't really like cake, so we decided to get a build your own sundae bar. 

Now I'm wondering if we need to/should provide something else for guests that may be lactose intolerant or just don't like ice cream. We looked into cupcakes but it's a bit cost prohibitive. The ice cream bar is comparable in cost to a cake. We have a about 180 on our guest list and are expecting about 150 (but we're prepared to pay for everyone)

We were thinking cookie or brownie trays or a candy bar. I don't really know about a candy bar - getting jars, bags, scoops, and candy seems like it would add up quickly, but I'm afraid a brownie tray would look like an afterthought. 

Do we need another dessert? Can you think of any other type of dessert that would cover all of our bases? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: ANOTHER food question

• Options
    I would have some sort of cookie, cake, brownie type option.  There are quiet a few people who can't do ice cream.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:c7bcd800-cd01-48f9-ae35-0f169043a990">ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]The events of the last few days have me wondering. We're having a buffet provided through our reception venue but they don't provide dessert. FI and I don't really like cake, so we decided to get a build your own sundae bar.  Now I'm wondering if we need to/should provide something else for guests that may be lactose intolerant or just don't like ice cream. We looked into cupcakes but it's a bit cost prohibitive. The ice cream bar is comparable in cost to a cake. We have a about 180 on our guest list and are expecting about 150 (but we're prepared to pay for everyone) We were thinking cookie or brownie trays or a candy bar. I don't really know about a candy bar - <strong>getting jars, bags, scoops, and candy seems like it would add up quickly</strong>, but I'm afraid a brownie tray would look like an afterthought.  Do we need another dessert? Can you think of any other type of dessert that would cover all of our bases?   
    Posted by bridalmarch[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yup, it does. We're going to have about $1200 invested in our candy bar, but we love candy so it's part of what we wanted from the get-go. </div><div>
    </div><div>I'd look into getting trays of cookies. I'd definitely get another option besides just ice cream--although I'd LOVE the ice cream. 

</div>
  • Options
    I think cookies or brownies added to the ice cream bar would be great.  Then people can eat them alone or with their ice cream as a sundae.  Mmmm.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:1f6ecdb8-a821-4e8e-8bbd-c876a7305943">Re: ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think cookies or brownies added to the ice cream bar would be great.  Then people can eat them alone or with their ice cream as a sundae.  Mmmm.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

<div>Drool. How did this not even cross my mind!??!!? Done and done. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yes go for the brownies.  A brownie sundae > wedding cake any day in my opinion.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Could you add a sorbet to the ice cream?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:1f6ecdb8-a821-4e8e-8bbd-c876a7305943">Re: ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think cookies or brownies added to the ice cream bar would be great.  Then people can eat them alone or with their ice cream as a sundae.  Mmmm.
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Sam's Club has an assorted cookie platter of 84 cookies for only 20 dollars. We bought 2 platters for 100 people and had plenty. Very cheap!
  • Options
    No one NEEDS dessert the way they need dinner. I think you're fine. Also, if there are things in the sundae bar they CAN eat, like brownie pieces, I think they can manage.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm honestly a little surprised by the responses.  Some people don't/can't eat cake but we don't tell brides they have to have a second dessert on top of that; is it just because cake is the expected so people who can't eat it are preparred for the disappointment?

If adding cookies and brownies to your sundae bar won't push you over budget I say go for it, but I don't think it's rude to your guests to only serve one dessert.  FTR - we had a sundae bar and it was a HUGE hit, I'm sure your guests will love it :-)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:a023fca4-cb30-4102-932a-975181e1a809">Re: ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm honestly a little surprised by the responses.  Some people don't/can't eat cake but we don't tell brides they have to have a second dessert on top of that; is it just because cake is the expected so people who can't eat it are preparred for the disappointment?</strong> If adding cookies and brownies to your sundae bar won't push you over budget I say go for it, but I don't think it's rude to your guests to only serve one dessert.  FTR - we had a sundae bar and it was a HUGE hit, I'm sure your guests will love it :-)
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

I am having to agree with this.  Dessert is not something that is necessary (like a meal or apps that make up a meal) so telling someone that has one dessert option that isn't cake needs to add something else is just weird.  If a guest doesn't like ice cream or is lactose intolerant then I guess they will be skipping the ice cream bar.

I know it is important to host your guests as best as you can but at some point you need to draw the line because in today's world with so many different diets you just cannot please everyone.

• Options
    Thank you, everyone! We added a brownie tray and two cookie trays to our order today, so people can build the biggest sundaes around or just have a cookie. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:a023fca4-cb30-4102-932a-975181e1a809">Re: ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm honestly a little surprised by the responses.  Some people don't/can't eat cake but we don't tell brides they have to have a second dessert on top of that; is it just because cake is the expected so people who can't eat it are preparred for the disappointment? If adding cookies and brownies to your sundae bar won't push you over budget I say go for it, but I don't think it's rude to your guests to only serve one dessert.  FTR - we had a sundae bar and it was a HUGE hit, I'm sure your guests will love it :-)
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I think the difference is you would be surprised on just how many people who can't eat ice cream.  More than those who don't like or can't have cake for dietary reasons.</div><div>
    </div><div>On a random note, I can't have ice cream if I've had alcohol.  Random, but the 2 do not like sharing my body at the same time.    I'm strange.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-food-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:6bd6f412-1641-452a-b9bd-6e51c185ccf6Post:e27d84f8-dbbd-4c6d-a66a-18706933e760">Re: ANOTHER food question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ANOTHER food question : I feel bad for you! There is a local restuarant around here that make hard milkshakes.
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

<div>There is one in St Thomas also.  I love milk shakes. I like alcohol.  However my body does not like the 2 together.   </div>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards