Wedding Etiquette Forum

Scar care.

I have an unattractive scar that I would really like to magically disappear. It's been there for several years, and it's bothered me for a while, but just today I decided that I would like to do something about it if I can.

I did some preliminary online research, since the first things I thought of were Mederma and vitamin E (I heard somewhere to split open a capsule and pour the juice on a scar), but everything I've read today have basically told me those don't work. Like at all.  And apparently Vitamin E can actually make it worse and cause dermatitis (not that I really know what dermatitis is, but I don't think I want it).

Particularly since this scar is not recent, I have a feeling I'm kind of stuck, but thought I'd ask you guys. Any suggestions for something (non surgical and not super expensive) that could diminish its appearance? Or any helpful stories about Mederma or vitamin E working for you on an older scar? Thanks!
Leo says hi. He's...special.
Married
Planning

Re: Scar care.

• After my shoulder surgery my doctor told me to use Vitamin-E, like you said split open the capsule and rub it on.  Not only did it make the mark smoother but it lightened the color.  However, this was soon after surgery so since yours is older I don't know if it would work or not.  My sister did the same thing when a cheerleader was dropped on her and busted her nose open....you can't even see the scar now. 
  • My dermatologist gave me Kelo-cote after he took stitches out of my shoulder. I am still using it but have noticed some improvement. It's like Mederma but stronger. I think it was $18 for the tube.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've used vitamin E on old and new scars.  It always helps.  I buy the vitamin E nail care stuff though (it's an oil that you brush on to your nails and then wash it off).  I've never broken open the tabs.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards