Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

would you?

My MIL just had her will re-written. She filed a copy with the courthouse in the county in which she resides, and gave a copy to me for safekeeping. When she gave it to me, she said we could read it or not, it didn't matter to her, but to put it in a safe place.

Would you read it?

Re: would you?

• Options
    Probably not.  Not really my business until it needs to be.
  • Options
    probablyEmbarassed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes. In a heartbeat. Not because Im greedy, but because I'd want to know how to proceed without having to find it. I'd want to have some idea of what is going to happen when she passes.

My mom and stepdad did theirs and gave each kida copy like a month after they got married. There are no grey areas..
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Yes.  My parents told me where to find theirs when they went on vacation- I totally looked and read it.
  • Options
    I'd probably read it also.  Not to see what (if anything) we'd get, but just to know what her general wishes were. 
  • Options
    Not my in-laws'.  Not unless FI wanted to.  It's more his business than mine anyway.  My parents' will would be a different story.  I MIGHT look at theirs.  But I don't know.  Maybe I'll feel differently about it when we're married. 

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Yes, but im nosey.
  • Options
    Yes - I'm incredibly nosy.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2009
    Sure. I've read my parents' will. In fact, I recently insisted they write new wills because the old ones were SO old that they named guardians for my sister and me if something happened to my parents (I'm 46!). And we know what's in DH's parents' will. Why wouldn't you read it?

ETA: I've also had discussions with both parents about things that they want us to do after they're gone that aren't in the will. My mom and I recently had a conversation where she was very explicit about certain things she wants that are not in a will. (I wanted to add that, but I also really just wanted to see how the new edit and smiley functions work! Wink )
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm an incredibly nosy person, but I wouldn't. Nothing good would come of it.

ETA: Any questions I had I would just ask the person.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have read - and have a copy of - my parents' wills. 

Speaking of that, a) DH and I need to make ours, and b) my parents need to make sure to update theirs and give my brother and me copies (he's the executor; they know I can't do it and I'm okay with that).

Oh, and to answer your question, if she gave you a copy, said you could read it if you wanted to, and it wasn't in a sealed envelope, there's probably no harm in it if you're interested. It also probably means there's no big surprises in it, either.... ;)
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options

If you feel uncomfortable reading it, I would still ask/have your DH ask your MIL about her last wishes.  Its very important to know what a person wants done or not done (DNR orders, no intubation, etc.) in case they fall gravely ill and cannot make their own medical decisions - my parents and I have discussed all this and we all know what to do in this situation.

• Options
    I wouldn't read my in-laws, but I'd read my parents' wills. Like pp said, just to know their general wishes. I already know what property my parents' own and that my brother and I would split it down the middle anyway. Except that if my mom dies before her husband, he gets to live in the house until he passes. That stuff is really the least of my concerns, though.

Welll... Okay, I'll be a little selfish and state that if I ever have to go to court over my dad's property, I'll be pissed. He bought it from my mom and it's been in her family for 80+ years/3 generations so far. It's waterfront. I think a major reason my dad isn't married (just living with his girlfriend) is to avoid any legal next-of-kin issues with that property, since he promised it to me and my brother. So I hope there never comes a time where she sues us for it or anything.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    My MIL has told me in general terms what is in it, but I havne't read the specifics. Her situation is a bit complicated; she owns the house that she and her partner are living in, but they can't get married in this state, so inheritance issues and right of survivorship could come up. I asked her ealy last summer if she had provisions in her will for my SMIL, and whether things could get ugly with her estranged daughters. Sigh. Guess who was named executor?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards