Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

WDYT- engagement ring/ FB

I have had a few friends post  a picture of their ring on FB after getting engaged, and after "announcing" mine on FB, people are asking to see the ring. is that tacky? to post a picture of just my ring on fb? I feel like I'm saying "look at me! look at me!!"
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: WDYT- engagement ring/ FB

• Options
    I see tons of people do it and I don't think twice. I like to see them!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My FI was worried about the same thing; so instead, I posted a pic of her ring in my album and tagged it as her name so it would show up on her wall but not like she had posted it herself.  I don't think its bad to just post a pic of it though, I post pics of cars or other guy things when I buy something new and girls love their engagement rings so why not.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    Ah, the FB age.  How it changes everything.

If people are asking to see the ring, then go ahead and post it.  I'm sure there are many of your friends/loved ones that aren't local, and would probably like to see it.  The one thing that FB is good for is keeping people updated about big events in your life.

And your baby is sofriggincute!
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I totally did, not gonna lie. I love my rings, I was thrilled to be engaged, and I think in the circumstances of engagements, marriages, and babies, it's ok to be a little AWish. :) And your baby is a doll!!!
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    thanks all! for the advice and making me feel all proud-mommy-ish.
    I'm off to post my picture Smile yay!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought about it, but when I went to take a pic of the ring on my finger I found out it's impossible to take a decent pic of my hand.  Soo....no FB pic for me.  But they are really pretty to look at.  
    Photobucket
    my read shelf:
    Noelwellin's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you think it's tacky, just send it to the person who asks.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-engagement-ring-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70beb78c-fb68-413b-9962-ffd1281e0a09Post:a0d9f034-b4a1-4818-8d16-2573334181a6">Re: WDYT- engagement ring/ FB</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought about it, but when I went to take a pic of the ring on my finger I found out it's impossible to take a decent pic of my hand.  Soo....no FB pic for me.  But they are really pretty to look at.  
    Posted by noelwellin[/QUOTE]

To get a good one, try to take it with the camera not being held by hand and in macro mode, which is typically represented by a icon of a flower on one of the buttons or menus; macro mode is designed to take closeups of objects typically less than a foot from the camera.  If you don't have a tripod handy, you can do something like set the camera face down hanging off the edge of a table so that when you press the button to shoot, you're not actually moving the camera around and it can focus on the ring properly.  Thanks to the world of digital cameras you can shoot a ton of them and hopefully end up with one good one.

• Options
    Everything about FB is "look at me, look at me," so you might as well show off the ring, too!

(I'm not knocking FB at all.  I'm a regular user myself.  I just like to call a spade a spade - purposely posting anything on a social networking site where others can/will see it and have the opportunity to reply is a bit attention whorey, even if for good cause.  I see no harm, or shame, in this!  I also posted lovely shots of my engagement ring!) :)
    10-10-10
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited July 2010
    I don't mind the ring pics at all, however, I am not a fan of making it your profile picture. 

But go ahead and post away on your wall or in a photo album.  I'm sure family/friends are dying to see it (at least mine were.)

Also, your baby is adorable!
  • Options
    I wouldn't think less of someone for posting a picture of their engagement ring.  But I felt the same way, and I didn't post pictures of mine until people asked me to on my FB wall.  So I completely understand where you're coming from. :)

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    My FI took some good pictures of the ring before he gave it to me for insuance purposes. So he posted them when we got engaged
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-engagement-ring-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70beb78c-fb68-413b-9962-ffd1281e0a09Post:876f5810-9fc9-4af3-9845-c84a6d0fc31b">Re: WDYT- engagement ring/ FB</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't mind the ring pics at all, however, I am not a fan of making it your profile picture.
    Posted by emarston1[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This, exactly.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Posting a couple of pics of your e-ring on facebook = not AWish.</div><div>Posting a picture of just your hand as your profile picture and/or creating a photo album called "My Ring!!!" with 80 different shots of your hand = pretty AWish.

</div>
  • Options
    i actually have ONE picture of mine on there...actually jeff proposed while taking me flying with him the first time so the album is "flying with my favorite pilot" people who REALLY care actually looked at the album and put two and two together....other people were like where's the ring....really?  it's there! just not my profile pic or anything...
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I posted mine- and friends have posted theirs- everyone wants to see the ring!! :)

ETA: Fiance posted a photo of my ring, too- with the heading "My new Car!"
    LOL!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-engagement-ring-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70beb78c-fb68-413b-9962-ffd1281e0a09Post:50df124d-1abc-4502-9eef-6356f74f16ed">Re: WDYT- engagement ring/ FB</a>:
    [QUOTE]I posted mine- and friends have posted theirs- everyone wants to see the ring!! :) ETA: Fiance posted a photo of my ring, too- with the heading "My new Car!" LOL!
    Posted by Knittibell[/QUOTE]

LOL!!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wdyt-engagement-ring-fb?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:70beb78c-fb68-413b-9962-ffd1281e0a09Post:c8f3b476-8b61-43ff-b80a-17c63e357e7e">Re: WDYT- engagement ring/ FB</a>:
    [QUOTE]Everything about FB is "look at me, look at me," so you might as well show off the ring, too! (I'm not knocking FB at all.  I'm a regular user myself.  I just like to call a spade a spade - purposely posting anything on a social networking site where others can/will see it and have the opportunity to reply is a bit attention whorey, even if for good cause.  I see no harm, or shame, in this!  I also posted lovely shots of my engagement ring!) :)
    Posted by melissamc2[/QUOTE]

I completely agree!
  • Options
    I love looking at other people's rings. Not in a judgy way though. Actually i've always been interested in them, so i love when people post them on FB. That being said, I haven't posted my own because I don't want to come off like I'm AWing it. 
    "does this sweater make me look fat?" "no, the fact that your fat makes you look fat. That sweater just makes you look purple".
  • Options
    RumsGoneRumsGone member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    To those that say that their hands can't be photographed well, find a picture of it on the jeweler's website and post that. Or be creative and think of other ways that your hands don't have to be in the photograph. 

Also I love it when my friends post their engagement rings because the fiance wants to do a custom ring so I'm looking at the other rings and picking things that I like about them and would want to be part of the ring. 
  • Options
    good for you! I posted mine the night I got engaged! it was at a surprise bday party for me - my future BIL took a picture of my fiance on his knees proposing and that was on FB in seconds as well (both mine and my BIL page!). In fact...ever since then all the pics I have posted of me has my ring in it somehow (you always become left-handed after that ring gets put on!)
  • Options
    mine is actually my profile pic. my fiance hated the pic I had of him and me so I changed it to something he could not complain about. lol
    every single person I know wanted me to post the ring pic on facebook so that they could see it right away.
    do it!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That has got to be the most thoughtful and loving thing I've heard on these boards.  Kudos to you, for loving your girl even before she's your wife.

(Replying to:) "My FI was worried about the same thing; so instead, I posted a pic of her ring in my album and tagged it as her name so it would show up on her wall but not like she had posted it herself.  I don't think its bad to just post a pic of it though, I post pics of cars or other guy things when I buy something new and girls love their engagement rings so why not. "
  • Options
    I totally posted mine as soon as I got back into town, and then a year later we upgraded it and I once again posted it on facebook. I have family all the way in Russia so I dont know when I will be able to see them to show it to them.  Congrats to Everyone!!
  • Options
    I couldn't do it.. I have a friend who was recently robbed - they took her big screen tvs, all her jewellry (e-ring included), etc. - even her expensive dog. Turns out someone had hacked her fbook account, saw photos of her e-ring and parties at her house (tvs and such were in the background), and targeted her and her FI for robbery..

Because that is gradually becoming more and more common, I'm always careful to avoid photos of my valuables on facebook..

From a tacky perspective though, I think it's fine. Tons of people do it and I've never thought twice of it..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think you can do it in a tasteful way. I posted a "note" with our whole engagement story and you can add pictures to go with notes so I added one picture of the ring. I wouldn't go overboard and post it from every angle or have that be your profile picture, I think that is kinda tacky.
  • Options
    You only get married once - posting a pic of your ring on FB isn't tacky.

FB is a great place to share the exciting events of your life with your friends and family.

• Options
    I not only posted my ring and the pictures of my fiance purposing but our engagement pictures and all my wedding ideas. I have 2 whole albums full of wedding ideas. The people that aren't here to see it and be a part of my planning have gotten to see it all thru facebook. They have helped me make decisions when I couldn't. So go ahead and share it all :)
  • Options
    Colleen61384Colleen61384 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010

Sorry but I think it's really tacky...   Anyone that I really wanted to see the ring, saw it in person and didn't need to see it on facebook.  Email works just fine to send it to those out of town.  I guess it's just not my style to want to flaunt my ring for everyone to see.

• Options
    I did it... And I didn't even think twice about it.  I did it out of a reaction, everyone was asking to see it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards