Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Couples Shower?

Hello ladies, I have a question about a party that FI's stepmom is throwing for us.  My parents got their invitations a couple of weeks ago (that's right, both Mom and Dad are going).  I know both FI and I are attending.

I've never heard of a couples shower before.  Have any of you ladies?  Is it different from a normal bridal shower?  I can't imagine cutsey games or pink hats like what I had at my other bridal showers, so I don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Couples Shower?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_couples-shower-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70db621d-5736-44c2-961e-21320a4c4ca5Post:b8391e4b-74d4-4971-a0c1-31c49c404520">Couples Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies, I have a question about a party that FI's stepmom is throwing for us.  My parents got their invitations a couple of weeks ago (that's right, both Mom and Dad are going).  I know both FI and I are attending. I've never heard of a couples shower before.  Have any of you ladies?  Is it different from a normal bridal shower?  I can't imagine cutsey games or pink hats like what I had at my other bridal showers, so I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance!
    Posted by ckollstedt[/QUOTE]

<div>Basically it's just a co-ed shower.  They might do some games, but probably not the same you would have at a bridal shower.  Your FSMIL is probably doing it so that your FI doesn't feel left out.  Expect basically the same as a bridal shower, but with guys there.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Ditto PP.  I have never been to one before but they are the norm in FIs family, so one is being thrown for us in August.  My family is COMPLETELY against it and think it's weird, I'm open to new ideas and know FILs throw a good party. 

FMIL told me we will be eating lots of food, drinking some cocktails, opening presents and socializing.  I am all for this kind of party :)  I would ask your FIs stepmom what to expect if you are curious. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine is next Sunday and will be co-ed. Some family is traveling a couple hours to come so the hubbies and such are coming along and my FI will be there and a few male friends as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The thing I like about couples showers is that there's no frou-frou girly stuff.  No stupid games, no "dress up the bride" crap, no toilet paper wedding dresses. Huzzah!

The thing that sucked about our couples shower is only 2 guys showed up.  Most saw the word "shower" and skipped out - including my H!
  • Options
    I just had one of these thrown for us last weekend -- FMIL hosted it, invited all kinds of family friends / neighbors (and all of them were thankfully on our guest list!) and it was like a co-ed type thing.  Nothing too frilly, just a great party / cook-out with a gift table and great conversation.  Some hosts will choose to play games like the newlywed game or something else that would be fun for guys and girls.  Lots of FI's male neighbors and family / friends came, and it was a very relaxed kind of shower.  Not as up-tight as a traditional bridal shower (and not as dressy), but that may just have been my particular family event and not necessarily a blanket rule.
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options

My daugher had a couples shower, one of 5 showers given but , this one was thrown by their BMs & GMs.

Not much different than an ordinary shower from what I saw other than the gifts were obviously for both of them, not just her.  Bar stuff, platters & bowls, glassware and the like

It's called a Jack & Jill here, unlike the Canadian Jack & Jills which are fund raisers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_couples-shower-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70db621d-5736-44c2-961e-21320a4c4ca5Post:33a98aaf-38fd-44dc-9ef4-06fc4e6ba423">Re: Couples Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The thing I like about couples showers is that there's no frou-frou girly stuff.  No stupid games, no "dress up the bride" crap, no toilet paper wedding dresses. Huzzah! The thing that sucked about our couples shower is only 2 guys showed up.  Most saw the word "shower" and skipped out - including my H!
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    I like couple showers for the same reason.
  • Options
    We had a couples shower.  It was wonderful. It was on a Saturday night, plenty of food and alcohol -- similiar to an engagement party.  We had a great time and so did all of our guests. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I like couples showers better than bridal ones.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I seriously just got home from my co-ed shower about an hour ago. It was so much fun! It was fun because I too have never been to one and it was fun to get my fiance involved. We did not do the games at all. I really did not have any problems or wish it was different. THe males included my fiance, host's husband, my father- that's it really. =) Hope you have fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're having a couples shower. My mom wanted to include FI so he didn't feel left out and he loved the idea. My FSIL had a co-ed wedding shower and baby shower so its common in our circle. I'm excited for it 'cause it's one more thing FI and I get to do together and I get to include him in wedding stuff :)
  • Options
    I would have loved that, but FI wouldn't. He is relieve to skip the shower. Neither one of us love being the center of attention, and now he gets to stay home and play video games. I'm hoping my baby niece steals a good part of the show. She's good at that :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the help!  Now I kind of know what to expect.  I'm getting really excited about it-- FI's stepmom and dad know how to throw a good party :)
  • Options
    Wrkn925Wrkn925 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I went to a couple's shower for my cousin.  I really enjoyed it. This was not a fundraiser.  We played yard games, grilled out, gave gifts, and enjoyed some adult beverages. 

I was single when they got married so I went alone.  They have a baby now, and had a baby shower that was pretty much the same.  I had to convince BF to go, he was certain it wouldn't be fun.  We ended up having a blast, and I have a video of him doing a relay race against my cousin that involved pushing a doll in a stroller around traffic cones while drinking a beer.

I think co-eds can be fun, I just don't agree with the ones where you charge your friends to come.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_couples-shower-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:70db621d-5736-44c2-961e-21320a4c4ca5Post:74ea6868-8e8f-4a68-8003-6946157b1505">Re: Couples Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to a couple's shower for my cousin.  I really enjoyed it. This was not a fundraiser.  We played yard games, grilled out, gave gifts, and enjoyed some adult beverages.  I was single when they got married so I went alone.  They have a baby now, and had a baby shower that was pretty much the same.  I had to convince BF to go, he was certain it wouldn't be fun.  We ended up having a blast, and I have a video of him doing a relay race against my cousin that involved pushing a doll in a stroller around traffic cones while drinking a beer. I think co-eds can be fun, I just don't agree with the ones where you charge your friends to come.
    Posted by Wrkn925[/QUOTE]

<div>I had no idea charging for showers even existed until I started lurking here.... I had to look up Jack & Jill parties because I'd never heard of them before.  I mean, the couple is already getting gifts at the shower.  Why should people have to pay to watch their gifts being unwrapped? Crazy!</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards